“Wonderful for a day trip. Educational and laid back.”

Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Harrodsburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill is a landmark destination rooted in the spirit of the Kentuckians that called this place home for more than a century. Discover inspiring legacies, fresh-air adventures and spirited hospitality throughout Shaker Village's 3,000 acres. Onsite amenities include overnight accommodations, dining and catering services, retail shops, historical exhibitions and tours, a farm and garden area, a nature preserve, multi-use trail system, riverboat rides, equestrian stable and an extensive calendar of special programs, activities and events.
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I had been to Shaker Village as a young child and vividly remember it. That's why I looked forward to taking my children on a day trip. We booked a tour, wagon ride, and boat ride. The tour was educational, the wagon ride was nice, and the craftsperson demonstrations were second to none. My only minor complaint was the boat ride. It's fine for many; however, my children quickly grew bored of the ride, which lasted for well over an hour. Overall, every employee we encountered at Shaker Village was knowledgeable, professional, and presented information in a manner in which my children and I could understand. I only wish that we could have stayed longer.

All reviews
in 22 reviews
"broom"
in 30 reviews

Reviewed June 18, 2013

What a wonderful, educational way to spend an afternoon! We were running short on time and only had a few hours to spend. We could easily have spent several more hours. Great exhibits, wonderful staff and lovely peaceful grounds. We also enjoyed lunch in their restaurant. Mom and I are hoping to return next year with my niece and stay on the property.
Thank you Shaker Village for providing an interesting step back in time!

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I cannot help but walk up and down the road through this settlement and feel that somehow, despite our difference in beliefs between myself and the Shakers, that the world as not lost an irrecoverable asset. My mind and my camera never find it hard to find amazing things, from a horse-drawn buggy to just walking down the dirt road, to hearing a voice that could be heard for miles in a singing hall, to the stories of people who lived a magnificent way of life. Pleasant Hill is a Time and Again place to visit, for the story will go on long after the last Shake has passed away.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This non-profit village takes you back in time to an era in the early 1800's when Quakers thrived. We arrived late (4 pm), so demonstrations were over for the day, but we still toured the village for $5 each ($15/regular admission) and thoroughly enjoyed seeing how these people lived. Sparse furnishings and simple methods were prevalent throughout the 14 buildings we toured. A large part of Quaker income came from making brooms, and the shop still operates today. We purchased a quality broom made and signed in the shop for $25. The broom "stands" on its own. A unique gift idea. Had we arrived earlier, we could have seen other demos, heard Quaker music and songs, and talked to craftsmen throughout the village. Be sure to see the twin spiral staircases in the hotel/restaurant. While there, take time to take a pleasant cruise on their Dixie Belle paddleboat down the KY river ($10). Saw lots of turtles sunning and many kinds of birds, along with high limestone cliffs. Recommend taking drinks and snacks, as there aren't many to be purchased there.

1  Thank Ruth P
See more reviews
Reviewed May 23, 2013

The Shaker Village is an interesting and thought-provoking site. Please take time to visit all the houses and buildings, including the museum tucked away in the back of one of the structures. And ponder on how this settlement fed and housed its many converts right up until the Civil War and provided them with a much better standard of living than others had in Kentucky at the time. You may also have a meal or even an overnight stay there to fully experience the peaceful setting.