“Excellent food, service just passable”

Captain's Quarters INC
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Awesome location. We really enjoyed getting our drinks and sitting in chairs chatting and watching the river. Our wait for a table was short and the table was outside in a great location. The server seemed overwhelmed. She immediately stated that she was exhausted and took a long time bringing us more drinks. The food was excellent - - chowder, pizza, salads, sandwiches, etc. I would definitely return, it was a very nice experience. I would recommend that they get more staff and perhaps train them to be more efficient. It is a big place and a server could wear out a pair shoes hiking back and forth un-neccessarily.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We were visiting friends and they suggested "Captain's" for our last night. We visited 4 great restaurants while we were there, this being one of them. I do agree with other reviews about the staff being stretched thin. Our waitress handled our table of 7 seamlessly. Drinks were ordered and brought right out. Eye contact with her brought more of the same. Food was hot, fresh and very good. The only downside is that the music was so loud it was hard to carryon a conversation. But maybe it's just because this "IS" the place for Sunday afternoon/night. If you haven't been there, go; the view, food and the staff make this place a "don't miss" destination.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We had our 50th anniversary party in the Verandah Room here on a recent Saturday night. There were 50 people at the party,it was a buffet and we had an open, hosted bar.
The positives: the views, the ambience, the drinks were in a good pour, the food was pretty darn good for a buffet, gorgeous sunset over the river.
The negatives: seemed to be a disconnect between the person in charge of events and the wait staff; had to hunt down servers for things like serving tongs for the cheese tray, butter for the rolls, refill of some of the buffet items,
The worst thing happened at the start of the party when, 10 minutes into it, we had to go look for someone to take drink orders. When a server came in, he asked a guest who had just ordered a drink if she wanted to start a running tab! We about died. He said he didn't have any information about a hosted bar. Then we discovered 5 or 6 guests had already gone to the bar and started buying their own drinks. It was very embarrassing to us.
Now, we'd had a contract for this party for eight months and I had e-mailed and/or called the event planner numerous times to ensure everything was in order. I had to go through my paperwork which I had brought with us and find the contract that said "hosted bar". By this time, he had also discovered his error. I don't blame him, I think there just must have been very little communication before the party between the serving staff and management.

Did it spoil our event - no, but it wasn't a very good start. I e-mailed the event planner to tell her of the problems we encountered, as we really think for a mandatory 20% gratuity we should not have had this happen. A week later I received a reply that she was going to have a meeting with her staff and try to prevent it from happening again, and that she was glad we enjoyed our party in spite of the problems. I think that response was a bit underwhelming, considering the amount of money we had spent.

Would we have the party there again? Absolutely, it was the perfect setting and everyone seemed to have a great time. I don't know what more we could have done to prevent the mix-up from happening, I just think management needs to get their act together a little better for private functions.
But it was a very memorable evening!

Reviewed August 15, 2013

My wife and I went here based on a local's recommendation. We found the food very good. We had an appetizer, entree, and dessert. We had a great table outside overlooking the Ohio River, it was very pleasant. The prices are reasonable and our wait staff were very good. They were polite, timely and friendly. The only thing I would gig them on is that the seafood selections were rather limited given the restaurant's name. This establishment is a bit out of the way but we enjoyed getting away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Can't beat the environment in a breezy summer evening. Come sip a drink, have a bite, chat with friends and enjoy some music.