“Fantastic Date Night”

Old Stone Farmhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Old Stone Farmhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in North Side
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Old Stone Farmhouse is an award winning, fine dining restaurant. Set in a wooded valley close to the 11th hole of the Mahogany Run Golf Course, this restaurant is located in a 200 year old restored field house on the lush countryside of St. Thomas. It was created as a stable for a nearby Danish sugar plantation, and the walls are more than 2 feet thick. Ceiling fans and breezes blowing through the valley keep the place cool. The building's distinctive character is shown with native stone walls, original hardwood floors, brick arches, and a charming covered palm-lined courtyard. The restaurant features "Chef Inspired" fine dining in an intimate and elegant atmosphere. The cuisine is ingredient driven and will change with each season. The Old Stone Farmhouse is one of the most romantic and elegant dinner settings anywhere, offering old-world charm and a second-to-none dining experience. Personalized attention makes dining here a delight.
New York City, New York
“Fantastic Date Night”
Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I, who live on island, were heading to Mahogany Grille on a Monday night when we realized it was closed so we decided to finally give Old Stone a chance. We were NOT disappointed! From the valet to the server assistant everyone was so wonderful and attentive. Their wine list is extensive yet affordable if you don't want to break the bank and their menu is finely crafted and updated daily. Definitely take a tour of the kitchen and see what the chef has on the butcher's block for that evening, such wonderful meats and seafood! Make sure to sign your name on the wall to while your in the kitchen too. We started off with bone marrow and a charcuterie, which was expertly explained by our server Tim, who was wonderful. I had the 8 oz ostrich filet off the chef's menu and my girlfriend had the coq au vin, both were AMAZING!! Definitely try a side of their stuffed tater tots too, they are delicious! Also we had beignets with cinnamon chocolate and an espresso chocolate dipping sauce for dessert and as a person that doesn't like dessert or espresso let me just say they were absolutely mind blowing. I highly recommend dinner here, especially for a great date night!! Ask for Tim as well, you won't be disappointed!

DFW
“Perfect for a Group Dinner”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Needed an upscale cool place to take 40 clients. Venue is an old estate converted into a multi-room restaurant. Reservation and menu choices were easy. Food was excellent. Service was fast (2 hrs for 40 ppl). Wines reasonable. Dinner was pricey, but clients said "it was great" so worth it.

Andover, Massachusetts
“Amazing restaurant!”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

The Wagyu beef was the best filet we have ever tasted. Lovely old stone building, great service :)
Definitely make reservations, it is inside a gated community.

Washington, DC
“Fine dining on St. Thomas”
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

It's been several years since we've been to St. Thomas, and last time we ate here and it was a romantic, memorable experience. We were happy to see that the Old Stone Farmhouse is still in business, so booked it again.

First, the service was outstanding. From the moment we walked in he door and the hostess welcomed us and sat us at probably the best location in the restaurant, to when our server Michelle arrived, we knew we were in for a special, romantic evening.

What's changed since we were here last is the "Butcher's Block," where you are taken into the kitchen to have the meat and fish selections displayed and explained, and have your questions answered by a chef. This is a novel approach and we liked it. I decided to order the Kobe beef, which I had never had before, and my wife the huge African saltwater prawn (which looked more like a small lobster).

Back at our table we ordered a delicious bottle of Argentinian Meritage. It was about $60 and exceeded our expectations. My wife ordered lobster bisque, which had a kick to it and she dearly loved (and I did as well). I ordered the Caesar salad, which I was not happy with. It was a huge bed of whole Romaine lettuce topped with wilted Romaine. What I don't know is if he wilted lettuce was by design or not. If it was grilled to give it some flavor and texture, it didn't succeed. I ate a small portion along with some croutons and white anchovies (yum!), but left most of it. To be fair, Michelle recommended other first servings over the Ceasar, so I walked into this one. All the same, this is an area of improvement for the kitchen.

Our entrees arrived. The Kobe beef was cooked perfectly (I ordered it medium rare). It was the most succulent, rich, buttery (in softness, not taste) meat I've ever had. Although it was a petite cut of meat at only six ounces, it was completely filling. It's going to be hard to go back to other meat after this. The $80 I paid for it was well worth it.

My wife's salt prawn was also excellent, with a texture somewhere between a lobster and scallop, if you can visualize that. It tasted more like lobster than anything else, with an exotics flair that we couldn't quite define, but we highly recommend it.

The mashed potatoes that accompanied our entrees were simply too salty, and we couldn't finish them. They were expertly puréed, but someone got Harvey handed on the salt shaker. This, along with the Caesar salad is what brought my rating down to four stars.

But let me be clear: If you want an evening of fine dining with atmosphere, ambiance, and the sense of being taken faraway to someplace special, you must dine here. We will definitely return on our trip here next year. Hopefully the chef will get the few flaws on the menu corrected with consistent feedback from diners. But the service was five stars, and observing other tables, it was clear they were getting that too.

A couple of other notes. One, there are no windows in the restaurant, but it's cool enough; however, a few mosquitoes do make their way in, who also want fine dining. So, apply insect repellant before you arrive. We didn't, but they have some at the hostess stand, which we took advantage of. (Do spray it on in the courtyard, not in the restaurant!)

There is no dress code. We wore elegant island attire (my wife an island dress and dress sandals, and me, khakis, and island shirt, and dress sandals). Most people were dressed similarly, but at one table most were definitely in dress-down mode, with one guy wearing shorts and a sleeveless T-Shirt. Wear what you want for your own experience, but clearly, if you neglect to bring more elegant clothes, this will not be a deterrent for you to dine here. Each to his own, and we'll dress the same next time. The key is to relax, enjoy yourselves, and soak in a wonderful experience.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Cozmot
“Beautiful Old Building”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

This restaurant resides in an Old Stone Farm Stable built in the early 1900. A beautiful place to have dinner in a great setting. We have eaten here several times in the past, but the food this time was not as good as in the past. I understand they have a new chef.