“Second Visit to this lodge”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Greenup
Greenbo Lake State Resort (Jesse Stuart Lodge)
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Greenup
Lanesville, Indiana
“Second Visit to this lodge”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have now stayed twice at this lodge located at Greenbo State Park in eastern Kentucky. This is an older lodge and the rooms do show it's age for the most part, however, if you stay here knowing that it isn't a 5 star hotel and not expecting it to have all the poshness of a nicer hotel, you may just find that the down home feeling here is good enough to overcome it's shortfalls. I love the location personally, although you must note it is pretty far off the beaten path. Come with all you need for your stay. The onsite restaurant is buffet style and I do not give it high marks, only average. You should be able to find something on there that appeals to you unless you are very picky. The rooms are large enough, the bed is comfy enough, and what I love is the fact you either have an extra door that opens to a roomy lawn area, or to a balcony if you stay on the second or third floor. I prefer the lower floor since I love to open my door and hear the birds and sit out on my back porch area. Now, the décor is dated, but the room was clean. The price is very reasonable and the staff was super friendly. There is a nice common area in the main lobby with comfy oversized furniture and a fireplace. Down in the lower level is a pool table and ping pong table. There is an outdoor pool, small lake for fishing or canoeing and some hiking trails. I like the outdoorsy feel here but I know it may not be for everyone.

Room Tip: The rooms seem extremely well insulated from sound. The lower floor has direct access to a small p...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Cary L, Manager at Greenbo Lake State Resort (Jesse Stuart Lodge), responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for staying with us again, we most certainly appreciate your patronage. Please contact me on your next stay with us, thank you again for chosing Greenbo Lake State Resort Park

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Fairfield, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

Structurally, Kentucky State Park lodges are very similar - the architecture, amenities, facilities, and peaceful, though remote, settings. The similarity stops there for this lodge. The dining room was closed (the nearest food was miles away, at a country store/deli), except for a pathetic continental breakfast. My TV remote control batteries (AAA) were dead - the clerk couldn't find AAA's, so rather than provide me with a remote from another room (of which there were plenty), I was stuck changing channels and sound manually. What struck me most odd was the absence of FOX News - though listed on the channel guide, it could not be received (but CNN, MSNBC, and the major networks were all available). No explanation was available.
My wife and I have been staying at Kentucky Park lodges for 30 years - never again.

Room Tip: nearly all rooms have wonderful views; some overlook the pool.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cary L, General Manager at Greenbo Lake State Resort (Jesse Stuart Lodge), responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Please contact me personally at caryq.lyle@ky.gov we would love another chance to exceed your expectations.
Oak Park, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was driving from Virginia to Kentucky at the end of a long trip and thought it would be nice to drive a bit out of my way to stay at a state park resort as opposed to a roadside motel. WRONG!!! This place is not one iota better than a budget motel. The décor is stark and unpleasant and the rooms seem to have last been appointed in the seventies. Having been somewhat shocked by the room, I decided to ignore it and go for a good dinner. Things only got worse: one of the worst buffets I have ever encountered. Soggy fried catfish (with a peculiar taste); ditto for the chicken. Was able to eat an overly sweet ham. Something called a cabbage casserole (I love cabbage) was a mish-mosh of goop that didn't taste a thing like cabbage, at least not fresh cabbage. I went back to my "rustic" room and ate bag of peanuts. I actually considered driving on that night, but decided the room was at least fairly clean if not comfortable. And the tv worked. Finally got up at 5 AM and departed, happy to never see the Greenbo State Resort again -- poor Jesse Stuart, what an awful tribute to one of Kentucky's greatest authors.

Room Tip: A view of the lake and woods is the only thing the rooms have to offer, so be sure to get a good vie...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank gstrange8
Please contact me personally at caryq.lyle@ky.gov we would like for you to give us another chance to exceed your needs.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

The place is definitely very peaceful, Resturaunt food and desserts were awesome. You can tell some homemade stuff is made here. Balconies are very private. All staff was very polite and helpful. Definitely would recommend. Only complaint is I could think of. I wish there was queen or king beds on upper floors.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for the wonderful comments, we most certainly appreciate you picking Greenbo Lake State Resort Park as your destination.
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

Positives-It is quiet and the rooms are comfortable and clean. The bathroom needs a lot of work.
My main complaint is with the restaurant. They only offer a buffet which consists of a not fresh salad bar and deep fat fried food. if you want anything a tad healthy forget it. And I would have loved a glass of wine at the end of a long hike but since they do not serve alcohol bring your own. Unfortunately you are trapped here when it comes to eating since the nearest town is 45 minutes away.
They staff is disorganized. I left my hiking shoes in the room and when I fist called they told me they weren't there. I had to call back and insist they look again. Sure enough they had them. After all that they said they would charge me for shipping. It is five days later and the shoes still have not arrived.
Its a beautiful park and there may not be anywhere else to stay. Ask for a room with a refrigerator and if at all possible bring your own food.

Room Tip: Get one with a refrigerator. It is worth the 5.00
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nat50226
Cary L, General Manager at Greenbo Lake State Resort (Jesse Stuart Lodge), responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Please contact me personally at caryq.lyle@ky.gov as we would really like another chance to exceed your expectations. Thank you for chosing Greenbo Lake State Resort Park as your destination.
Humble, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

Rooms are VERY dated. Restaurant menu selections very limited. Very quiet very quiet. I could do without the twangy CW music? Here to work a sewing retreat. Did I mention no adult beverages? I feel like Lisa in the old tv show Green Acres!

Room Tip: Bring snacks and drinks
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank patgal48
Cary L, General Manager at Greenbo Lake State Resort (Jesse Stuart Lodge), responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for staying at Greenbo Lake. It is input from our guests that make us the best we can be. Please contact me upon your next visit. caryq.lyle@ky.gov
ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

The staff at this state owned lodge will do everything they can to make your stay great. Although the rooms are somewhat dated its something one can overlook for the price. The portions they serve at dinner are enormous and well worth the value. Again, the wait staff is awesome .

Room Tip: Rooms on 3rd floor appear much more spacious because they have cathedral ceilings. Its a quiet retr...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank alexanderohio
Thank you for staying with us and the great comments. Please contact me upon your next stay.

caryq.lyle@ky.gov
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenup
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ironton
Holiday Inn Portsmouth Downtown
BEST WESTERN River Cities
Hampton Inn Ashland
Hampton Inn Ashland
#1 of 10 in Ashland
Fairfield Inn & Suites Ashland
Ramada Limited Catlettsburg/Ashland

Been to Greenbo Lake State Resort (Jesse Stuart Lodge)? Share your experiences!