“An Easy Choice”

1818 Main Street Bed and Breakfast
1818 Main Street Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Glasgow B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 12, 2014

A convenient location, comfortable rooms, delicious breakfasts, wonderful hosts, and a great price make it really easy: this is the best place to stay when visiting Mammoth Caves, Corvette Museum, Corvette Assembly Plant, and other sites in this area of Kentucky. Also highly recommend dinner at A Little Taste Of Texas Café within easy walking distance of B&B.

Room Tip: Some reviewers mentioned street noise, but we did not notice any. All the rooms are excellent choic...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for 1818 Main Street Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Spent 2 nights to take time visiting Mammoth Cave. Beautifully restored home, one of the oldest brick buildings in Glasgow (1818). Each room has its own personality. Ceilings in the upstairs rooms are sloped but very high, so spacious. Modern bathrooms. Great host. Tasty breakfast and coffee. No concern about the 8:30 time. Some B&Bs have fixed times for breakfast, others are flexible. Depends on where you stay. Several restaurants in easy walking distance that seem to be favorites with the locals.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Our family of 4 stayed in the Dickinson Room for one night and visited Mammoth Cave the following day. 1818 Main Street B&B was quiet and interesting; our hosts were pleasant and told us a little about the history of the house and room. I really liked the room, although my kids thought it a little "creepy", but they still enjoyed it. The B&B sits right next to a busy, noisy street; I think a favorite thing to do in Glasgow is to speed down this street in your big truck at all hours of the night. I am a heavy sleeper, so it didn't bother me. My husband, on the other hand, had to wear earplugs so he could sleep. The breakfast in the morning was nice and we got to talk with some other guests.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 17, 2014

My husband and I stayed one night in the Greer Room for a little weekend getaway. Karin and Gary were so helpful and hospitable, we felt right at home. The room was beautiful and had wifi and cable. As the prior reviews mentioned, it is by a busy street. The Greer Room is at the front of the building, right next to the street and though we heard some street noise, it wasn't anything that bothered us too badly. Karin and Gary showed us the rest of the rooms at the B and B, and wow! They have done an excellent job! We hope to be returning to stay in one of the other rooms! Breakfast was great and filling but it is at a set time so be aware of that. Because we were only staying one night, Karin let us have a late check out for no extra charge! They are truly wonderful! The bed was nice and comfortable, both of us had some of the best sleep we've ever had. The sheets were so soft! If you are looking for nice getaway or exploring the Mammoth Cave area, stay here! This is hands down the nicest you find at this price!

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise, choose the America Room, DuPriest Room, or Carroll Cottage as these a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2013

My wife and I stayed for two nights at the Main Street Bed and Breakfast. We were traveling through three different states and stayed at several different B&B's on our trip, so we are able to make some good comparisons with other B&B's we stayed at. The building and rooms are amazing! Lots of history stands in front of you in this home! Its like you really do take a step back in time. We loved the fact that we were actually staying in a place with as much history that this place had! Gary meet us at the house and took us through and showed us our rooms and told us about the history of the home. Both Gary and Karin had to leave for a couple of days over the time we stayed at the B&B so we did not really have the opportunity to get to know them. Although we did enjoy talking with Gary as he walked us through the house. Both of the hosts that filled in for Gary and Karin were wonderful!! The reason we felt our rating for this B&B was average was not due to the home or the hospitality. Three items that really stood out for us when comparing this place to the other B&B's we stayed at. (1) - The building is located on a very busy street, close to an intersection, so you always have a lot of street noise from vehicles. (2) - They do not offer flexible breakfast schedules. Every other B&B we stayed at we were able to determine what time we wanted breakfast. (3) - They did not offer any different breakfast options for you to choose from. eggs and waffles one day and eggs and pancakes the next day. The other B&B's we stayed at offered at least three different breakfast options to choose from. If you want to go to a place for some amazing history this is a wonderful place to visit! It just did not compare very well to the other places we stayed at.

Room Tip: If possible get a room that is on the back side of the building away from the street.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My son and I were traveling from NE Georgia to Chicago for Father's day on June 15th. We had approximately 36 hours to get from Boy Scout camp in northeast Georgia to my parent's house in the western suburbs of Chicago for a Father's Day dinner.I have wanted to meander through Great Mammoth Cave National Park for some time and I Pricelined (I made that word up like the verb - to google) 1818 Main Street Bed and Breakfast for a couple dollars more than a standard 2 STAR hotel in nearby Cave City. Being adventurous and wanting my son to experience a Bed and Breakfast(They do have rooms with two beds and other reviews lead me to know kids were invited which is not the case in my previous bed and breakfast experiences), I chose to pay the couple of dollars extra.

We arrived at noon, the front door was open(Spooky #1), and no one was at the house. One side of the house faces the local funeral parlor and another side faces the police station(Spooky #2). After calling Gary, he met us and gave us keys and showed us to the room. He also explained a bit of the history of the house and reassured us no ghost stories. RELIEF!! My son, a bit apprehensive, walking past the really antiquey things and up the stairs asked me later where all the other guests were(Spooky #3). We went to the local laundromat to get the stink of a week at camp out of our clothes and came back to NO ONE AGAIN.(Spooky #4). At this point, my son is uncomfortable, but the way he handles it is to ask why I didn't reserve a room closer to the national park. His way of showing he was spooked a bit ;)

We go to Great Mammoth Cave for a great tour(STAR CHAMBER TOUR) where at the end the tour guide shows markings on the ceilings from tour guides who left their mark almost two centuries ago. I cannot ruin any more of the tour but it was Spooky #5.

We got back to the bed and breakfast and there were noises! Good noises, families in the rooms, people coming and walking through the house, all to my relief of knowing we would get a good night's sleep not worrying about an empty house.

In the morning, there were two other families with children at breakfast as well as another couple traveling back to Atlanta. Everyone planned on visiting the National Park or had done it yesterday. This is a different experience than staying at a non-descript hotel where all the rooms are the same with very little personality. Breakfast was a standard scrambled eggs and bacon, a slice of french toast and a small fresh fruit cup with juice and coffee. Saved myself 20 bucks for breakfast and we have a memory of a lifetime!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 4sarasota
Reviewed June 15, 2013

The facility was as advertised. Very ample room (we were in the room at the top of the stairs), but the lighting in the room was inadequate.
The common areas were very comfortable. Karin and Gary are wonderful hosts. Breakfast was deluxe.
Being the corner room closest to the road is highly problematic to anyone that is sensitive to noise. It seems that the people of Glasgow LOVE their noisy pickups, motorcycles, and 4 x 4's, the noisier the better. The interference was constant and continuous until very late. It marred what might have been 5 stars.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glasgow
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
#3 of 12 in Cave City
Super 8 Cave City
Super 8 Cave City
#1 of 12 in Cave City

Been to 1818 Main Street Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!