“Good location”

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Frankfort
Nashville
“Good location”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I was a little weary of staying here after reading some of the reviews, but was overall pleased with my stay.
This is a great spot for the convention center (a large arena) and on the edge of the downtown area. The unfortunate part is that the hotel is separated from the convention center and downtown by a crumbiling plaza atop a one level, vast, parking garage. Not a good first impression of Frankfort, which actually has a very nice downtown.
Downtown restaurants are about a quick 5-10 minute walk.
Our second floor room had new carpet, new guest chair and flat screen TV. Yes, the whole room could have used a makeover, but it was clean and fine for our visit. The TV had no pay per view, interactive features, but plenty of channels. There was free wi-fi.
After our first night, we found our room cleaned after a 2 hour walk thru downtown, by 1:00pm, a nice plus.
The hotel restaurant has good service and suprisingly good food, including a well done breakfast bar. The downside is that there is no food room service unless the restaurant is open, not good as there are no options that don't require the 5-10 minute walk.
We would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed March 15, 2013

To date I made (8) eight requests of the General Manager to acknowledge my concern and I've received "NO RESPONSE".

My accommodations were disheartening, embarrassing, uncomfortable and disruptive. I reserved Suite 807 and the adjoining rooms on each side of that suite, arriving May 4th and departing May 5th. Suite 807 was to be for the graduation reception of my son. Upon arrival the experience was great until we got to our suite. After opening the door, we found a very unpleasing odor, pockets of damp carpet, and soiled conference chairs at first inspection. We knew that there were no other available options at or outside Capital Plaza to fit our immediate needs, so we had to adjust our expectations and adapt. We opened the windowed of both 805 and 807/809; later choosing not to occupy the other adjoining room (we canceled that one). We attempted to dry the pockets of damp carpet with a hairdryer. In putting up the trays of food that was to be served to our visiting family and guests we found small pests.

I have a litany of long detailed examples on why we were disheartened, embarrassed, uncomfortable, and disrupted, but I will summarize with the following bulletpoints:
1. Odor
2. Pockets of Damp Carpet
3. Soiled Chairs
4. Soiled Couch
5. Pests
6. Kitchen area that we wiped. Aged.
7. Camouflaged the 4" - 5" gaps on each side of the Refrigerate so that the extremely dirty floor and wall was not seen by guests
8. Restricted any use of the extremely unstable Kitchen Sink faucet. It hung by it's connections.
9. We had to clean mold from bathtub/shower areas in both Rooms
10. Huge rip in the Soiled Sofa Mattress to the point that form spilled out. AGED.
11. Early morning Staff Rudeness ; Non-requested wake-up knocks .
Now imagine finally resting the following morning after a late night with the above experience and there is a LOUD 4 KNOCK sound on NOT ONE but BOTH of your doors at 8:59am , asking if you are "CHECKING OUT".

"REALLY"

Our experience was disheartening, embarrassing, uncomfortable and disruptive.

The place is AGED with non-caring, non-responsive leadership.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank NaptownCouple
Midway, Kentucky
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel provides everything you need for a comfortable stay. My room was clean, it was quiet and water pressure in the shower was good. I would agree that this hotel probably isn't what it use to be but them again either am I (although my wife says I am more handsome with time). Wonderful lobby, cool waterfall and great bar. The staff do a good job with what they have. Good location, freindly staff and the morning breakfast buffet hit the spot. This is a good, clean, solid choice for a hotel close to the capital and downtown.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the ice makers.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Bowling Green, KY
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I have to go to Frankfort often for business and we normally stay at the Plaza due to it's proximity to our training site. This hotel was probably amazing back in its day, but it has really gone to pot. The lobby is amazing and when you arrive you think you've ARRIVED. But one short trip up the elevator will leave you wondering what the hell happened. First of all, the hallways are unkempt (dirty carpets, holes in walls, missing wallpaper etc.) and dark. Then you make it to your room and it isn't much better. Furniture is outdated and there really is nothing special about the room. The TV's are poor quality and the beds are just so-so. When you get on the website it boasts of the pool, but I have been to the Plaza on 3 occasions in the past year and each time the pool is 'closed for remodeling.' The food in the restaurant is ok but pricey. There is NOTHING within walking distance (or even a short drive for that matter) except for government buildings. It is a huge hotel and I'm sure they don't have the revenue to keep it modernized-it's sad really because it has a lot of potential. I suggest stearing clear unless you must be right downtown.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room that has been newly remodeled? I don't know if they have any but it's...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank heatherbug24
Montague, Michigan
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Spent a weekend here. Was impressed. The food was good and very reasonably priced. Lobby was elegant and inviting. Overall, the hotel was well maintained - but not top shelf polished. The room was clean, roomy, and comfortable. Everything worked. Very convenient location for touring the area attractions. Service was good and everyone was pleasant. Great value for the orice. I'll be back.

• Stayed February 2013
Murray, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I recently stayed at the Capital Plaza Hotel in Frankfort on a business trip. The hotel is convenient to the many state offices and office buildings. This hotel was obviously a very nice hotel when it was new. My room was clean and adequate. Do not expect the usual conveniences of newer hotels such as a fridge and microwave in the room. But, for a clean, quite night’s sleep, the Capital Plaza does well.

Room Tip: For a quiet room, request a room that overlooks the fountains and not the street and intersection.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Walden, Tenn
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This was once a Holiday Inn and a landmark lodge in downtown Frankfort. it lost its Holiday Inn flag a number of year ago and went downhill significantly since its glory days. I am happy to report that the new owners are trying hard to regain the hotel's status as a premier place to stay while in Kentucky's capital city.

The rooms were once elegant and with some renovations are now, I would say, good. This is a full service hotel with a gift shop, salon, bar, and restaurant. But, it does not have the kind of updated amenities you would expect from a newer property. Conventions are their strongsuit and the sales staff is excellent. Service throughout the hotel is uneven--some good, some apathetic.

I may be a bit generous in upgrading this to a "very good" but at worst it is an average place to stay. Don't expect an experience similar to a downtown Sheraton, Hilton, or Omni--it's not here. But, for a price of under $99 this is a good option to the chain lodging on the outskirts of town.

Room Tip: Park in the deck below the hotel but note that the elevators there only go to the lobby and not to t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank civilwarguy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frankfort
Hampton Inn Frankfort
Best Western Lawrenceburg Inn
Best Western Lawrenceburg Inn
#1 of 1 in Lawrenceburg
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Georgetown

Been to Capital Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!