“OK, but nothing special”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Frankfort
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Frankfort
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed here for a night during our vacation. The breakfast was good (love those cinnamon rolls!), and the pool was small but clean. The room had two queen beds which were comfortable. My only complaint is that the carpet really needs to be cleaned! Our socks turned almost black after walking around the room.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Stayed at this hotel on the way home to Indiana - it was ok for one night. It was just enough - nice enough, clean enough, breakfast was enough, convenient to shopping and dinner. But it just lacked something. Would I stay there again? - probably, but there are other hotels in the area & would try them out first.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stayed here after a wedding, and it was very nice. We didn't know that we were going to be staying the night. We went in late and I really needed a double bed. They didn't have any double beds available so we went with a suite. I was a little disappointed, but the girl at the front desk was very nice. We went up to the room and it was so clean and nice. I really liked it. I think the hotel is pretty new. It was very large a beautiful. My brother in law slept on the pull out bed from the couch and he said it was really comfortable for a pull out bed. We were VERY happy with our stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I have to travel to Frankfort frequently for work, and this year I've been trying out other venues instead of the ones where I usually stay. On this trip I opted to try the HI Express on the recommendation of a friend, who says she always stays here when she had to be in Frankfort on business. I felt lucky to get a room, as every time I have tried to reserve something online at this location, even a few weeks in advance, it's been booked up.

Room was very clean, bed was comfy, wi-fi was blazing fast. I had a suite, which had a sink (wet bar type), microwave and two fridges. Couldn't understand why there were two, since both were working OK. Very spacious accommodations. Breakfast was good. I had sausage and biscuits & gravy. They also had fresh pancakes, cinnamon rolls and lots of other choices.

Negatives? This room had quite possibly the lowest shower pressure I have ever encountered in a motel or hotel, and that's saying something since precious few motels have water pressure that's high enough for my tastes. That's one of my pet peeves. It was like standing under a trickle.

The floor seemed to make a lot of noise when I walked across it. I was on the third floor so I fee sorry for the people down below me that I may have disturbed.

The third floor was a designated non-smoking floor, but the hall reeked of cigarette smoke. The room didn't, but the hall did. The elevator also smelled like smoke, but also of a scent that reminded me of cat urine.

I probably would not stay here on my own dime unless I got a deep discount, because I generally prefer not to pay more than $75 a night for a motel room if I can help it. And even if my employer was paying the bill again, I'd be hesitant to stay because of the low shower pressure.

I am wavering between giving this hotel a "3" for average or a "4" for very good. I'll probably go with the "4" but with caveats for the negatives I listed above.

Room Tip: Third floor reeks of smoke even though it's a non-smoking floor. Try to get on the first floor i...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank millenniumhwy
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Other reviews here have commented on the poor customer service. I did not think it woudl be that noticeable, but it really is. There was no one at the desk when we came in, after a while a young woman emerged from the back....derssed so casually I was not sure she actually worked there. At breakfast, trying to find a tray to bring food to the room there was no one to be found to help. THe fellow at the desk said the breakfast woman should be around....well, she was there but it was hard to tell she worked there either in her shorts, sweatshirt and filp-flops. Later that morning she could be found out front having a smoke, then she left the hotel before breakfast was done being served. On the way the desk clerk said "have a good one" without looking up from whatever he was doing as we left.

The hotel is OK, clean enough, some food close enough to walk, but the manager here could sure learn a bit about real customer service. It's not good for guests to feel neglected.

Oh, it's really hard to find this place too. The map on the web site did not seem accurate at all.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Frankfort, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2012

Dear mudpuppy78,

Thank you for taking time to post your comments. I am glad you found our hotel satisfactory. Please accept my sincerest apology for any inconvenience the staff may have caused. I will follow it up with the staff to ensure similar incidents could be avoided.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 9, 2012

The room was comfortable and clean just as we are accustomed to at Holiday Inn Express. I just didn't find the staff real friendly. This was a couple of days before the Kentucky Derby, so maybe that could have been the reason. I t seemed as if the staff had vacated the hotel. No one was attending to the breakfast, desk clerk gone at checkout, coffee needed attention, etc.

The chain needs to improve on their breakfasts. It is all the same and average at best. I would prefer better cinnamon rolls and eggs. I will probably find another Inn in the areA

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Frankfort, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

Dear eric m,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We are pleased you were happy with your room accommodations. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the hotel staff may have caused. I will follow up with the staff to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Regards,
Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 8, 2012

We stayed at this hotel during Derby weekend to avoid the crowds and prices of a Louisville hotel. The staff was so outgoing and friendly, check in/out could not have gone more smoothly, and everyone we passed was cordial. The rooms were pretty huge, we definitely could have put the whole family in one room with the two queen beds and a pull out sofa. We enjoyed the indoor pool and also the wide assortment of pillows. On our way out we were surprised to find not just a continental breakfast, but rather a full hot breakfast complimentary. Overall, we were pleasantly surprised at this hotel and will definitely be back.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frankfort
Hampton Inn Frankfort
Best Western Lawrenceburg Inn
Best Western Lawrenceburg Inn
#1 of 1 in Lawrenceburg
Best Western Shelbyville Lodge

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Frankfort? Share your experiences!