“A FASINATING LOOK AT THE HISTORY OF BOURBON”

Buffalo Trace Distillery
Ranked #1 of 38 things to do in Frankfort
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Buffalo Trace Distillery is the oldest continually operating distillery in the United States and we have proudly won more awards than any other distillery in the world. We welcome visitors of all ages to tour our legendary distillery and see first hand how we craft, age, and bottle America's native spirit, bourbon whiskey. All guests are treated to a complimentary tour and tasting of fine Kentucky bourbon as well as old fashioned root beer and bourbon balls. Don't forget to stop by our Gift Shop for authentic distillery products and to pick up a few bottles of the good stuff! HOURS: *Monday-Friday Tours: 9am-4pm departing every hour Gift Shop: 9am-5:30pm *Saturday Tours: 9am-4pm departing every hour Gift Shop:9am-5:30pm *Sunday Tours: Noon-3pm departing every hour Gift Shop: 12pm-5pm *All tours and tastings are FREE! *We have a beautiful Clubhouse that can be rented for events!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Stairs / elevator, Stroller parking, Wheelchair access
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“A FASINATING LOOK AT THE HISTORY OF BOURBON”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I had the opportunity to take the 1 hr tour of this historic distillery, and it was an interesting and entertaining look back in time at the history of whiskey making in the US. The tours start every hour with the last tour at 3 PM, and it's a quick ride from Lexington to Frankfort, and about an hour from Louisville. The tour takes you through pre prohibition times all the way to present, and the art and craft of making fine bourbon. The setting of the Distillery (especially in late October) is very special, parking is easy, and going through the storage buildings, as well as the actual fill lines for bottling single barrel bourbons that have aged 23 years in oak casks on the grounds is something to see. Oh by the way, the tasting at the end of the tour is a great experience and educational, and the gift shop has a nice assortment of price range bourbons to take home to enjoy. Drive through some of the most scenic horse country in the world, and step back in time to see and enjoy a true treasure of American history. It is well worth the visit.....

Dallas, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“best distillery tour”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Love this tour esp during the week when you can see the craft bottling line in action. Great tour, interesting history, & free sampling

Visited June 2012
Roanoke, Virginia
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Excellent tour, bourbons, staff & beautiful site! Ranks as 1st place tie for best distillery (among 10 visited)!”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My husband and I visited 10 distilleries in the area and both ranked Buffalo Trace in a tie for 1st place (w/ Maker's Mark). The grounds were beautiful, the bourbon excellent, the staff super friendly, the tour interesting, historic, educational and the tour guide the perfect mix of fun, friendly, smart, honest and not overbearing/annoying (if you like overbearing/annoying, try Heaven Hill and Woodford Reserve, btw). They have a cute little cafe with light fare. The tour of the bottling area was fantastic...best bottling area tour by far. In case you are interested, the next few at the top of our list are Wild Turkey, Four Roses and the self-guided tour at Jim Beam (in that order). Though we did not tour at Barton 1792, we did a tasting there and found the tasting, staff, and gift shop to be excellent. Also, Barton 1792 had the best bourbon balls. :-)

2 Thank pjgator
Memphis, Tennessee
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great Tour”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I think that this tour is the best Bourbon distillery tour and gift shop out of the three that I have done. I visited back in January, and then again last weekend (but didn't get to tour because it was too late but got to do a tasting which I am not sure if that is something that usually happens I think we just got lucky).

The highlight of my most recent visit was meeting Freddie, who is a second generation employee of Buffalo Trace. He was extremely informative and charming, and smart and helpful and funny and exactly what a place like this needs. He really made my visit, and I hope he makes a pile of money to do what he does because he is not replaceable.

They have the best bourbon balls, and I love that they make Pappy and some other great high end bourbons here. I also am a huge fan of the Bourbon Cream, which is similar to Baileys. I can't wait to crack that open when it gets a little colder.

North Olmsted, Ohio
100 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“The best stop on the Bourbon Trail”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Although Buffalo Trace isn't technically listed on the Bourbon Trail, they were the best tour and tastings. The grounds of this place are beautiful, which we found out are partially maintained by the employees. We had Freddie as our tour guide. He informed us that unlike some other places that lay workers off when not in production, Buffalo Trace treats their employees like family and helps them find other jobs around the distillery to keep them working. That is so impressive to me. The tour included a stop in the warehouse and the bottling factory. It did get a little too long while watching the video. I'm not a bourbon fan and my husband would have my tastings at the other places while I ate the bourbon balls. But at Buffalo Trace I found the Bourbon Cream which I loved and bought a bottle for $20. I can't wait to make it with coffee.

1 Thank LisaNM