“Not up to standard”

The Corbet Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Uffington
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Corbet Arms is in the village of Uffington just 10 minutes car journey from centre of Shrewsbury. Family owned Local Village pub consists of Bowlers Bar, Restaurant, sabrina suite suitable for Weddings parties wakes conferences can seat 80 or 100 for Buffet. we have 9 Bedrooms available for guest staying B&B. Large Outside Terrace Overlooking our crown Bowling green. Sitting On the Banks of the River Severn near to local beauty spot Haughmond Hill and Haughmond Abbey.
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We have eaten at the Corbet Arms before and we had a very nice meal.However this time it was a Sunday,we had not booked a table but they did find us one.The staff were very pleasant.It was the food that let them down.We all ordered roast dinners(not much else on a Sunday).I was asked if I wanted pink or well done beef,i .said pink,when it came it was well doneThe vegetables were on the cool side,the roast potatoes were white .I dont think they had seen the oven .My friend ordered lamb it looked like chunks of meat no nice slices and it was full of fat.Her husband had the lamb his was fine.For ten pound twenty five pence a head for one course I felt it was expensive.At the end when we came to pay they didn't charge us for my friends meal .It is a nice spot over looking the river.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stayed here last night, and was very impressed with the standard of accommodation for what is essentially "just a pub". However the booking in format seemed alien to the staff, and after lots of huffing and puffing and swapping between staff members, we finally got our reservation found and we were booked in and taken to our room.
Room was lovely if a little small, and had no view out the window except for a roof, but saying this, it was the last room available and is obviously kept as the final booking for this reason.
We stayed at the pub for our evening meal, and again the pub surroundings are very well done, with a great terrace area outside and views over the river. The meal (Sunday Roast) was above average although it went cold rather quickly. Staff were quick and attentive. Sunday menu was a bit limited. However, when we finished our meal, we were offered the sweet menu or coffees etc as you would expect (at about 9.30ish), we replied we would be having coffee but were not ready yet. So at about 9.50 I returned to the bar to order our liquor coffee's only to be told they'd shut down the coffee machine for the night and so couldn't/wouldn't serve us. I also noted that the entire bar area had all but been shut down for the night with all drip trays washed etc. And we were by no means the last customers in the place. So despite being friendly, the staff did give off a very big impression of wanting to go home, and the "Get Out" sign was quite clearly hung!!!!
I would suggest some staff training needs to take place, but would also say the accommodation standard here is worthy of a bit more than just relying on busy bar staff to book you in. Done right this could be a very lovely small hotel.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed overnight here following a party in the function room. We were hugely impressed by the standard of accommodation - we had the family room which slept 3 adults and was adjoined by a small kitchen and bathroom. Our room was spotless, beautifully decorated, had exceptionally comfortable beds and bed linen and was generally of a very high standard. Because of the party we did not sample the food in the restaurant except for breakfast, which was very good also, good choices, speedy delivery, all in all a very pleasurable stay. Next time I will stay for longer!
I would highly recommend this pub with b&b accommodation. Excellent location also.

Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

What can I say , the new menu is excellent . There is loads to choose from, with even specials on the board . I had the steak and blue cheese sandwich it was lovely, highly recommend this. I also had the bread and butter pudding with homemade custard this was amazing ( best I have ever had ).
The service was 100% , with all the staff very helpful and friendly.
Again my visit to the corbet arms was very pleasant .

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Visited the Corbet on a busy saturday night with two friends we had not booked and arrived about half 8 ish. Could see it was very busy so thought we would be turned away. The girl that greeted us was very nice and said yes they did have a table and they were still serving food. Another lady walked by and showed us to our table. The table had obviously just been used but they quickly wiped it down for us. As we hadnt booked not too much of a problem. We ordered a starter and main from the menus we were given. Lots of choice on there steak,burger,thai currys,pie etc. I had the prawn and crayfish cocktail to start. Was a bit of a wait and I did feel like due to how busy the place was but again we hadnt booked so maybe that why. The cocktail was nice and fresh probably not quite worth the £5.95 paid as there was very little cocktail and more salad underneath bulking it up but it was very nice and I enjoyed it. My friends said their starters were nice.(the fishcake and asparagus tart). For main I had the sirloin steak medium rare it was cooked to perfection and seasoned lovely did not need any sauce. It did say on the menu it came with a tomato and onion kebab but it just came with a grilled tomato and onion rings but that was good as I prefer that anyway. Onion rings slightly over done and chips not the best Ive ever had but they were homecooked I think. I couldnt finish it all anyway. Friends had the steak and ale pie and vegetable thai curry. Pie was lovely apparently but the curry wasnt great I must admit it looked more like a broth than a thai curry and my friend said it was overly spicy she left alot but was not asked why by the waiting staff.
Now the staff are a bit mix and match here. A couple were very friendly and helpful (the girl who first greeted us and a young man) but the rest seemed like they could not wait to go home and seemed like we were an inconvinience being late comers. We were not asked if we wanted another drink throughout the meal and I had to request condiments as we werent asked if we wanted any when the food arrived. All in all food good value for money but the service did let it down slightly which is why I only gave it four stars. Will try again in summer when we can sit outside and enjoy the views.