“Better than I expected but shows its age.”
Review of Budget Inn

Budget Inn
Ranked #25 of 26 Hotels in Florence
Lexington, Kentucky
“Better than I expected but shows its age.”
Reviewed October 15, 2006

Stayed here for one night on a Reward stay. Judging from previous reviews this place appears to be turning a corner, since during our stay the hotel was in the middle of a huge renovation. The property still shows its age, but seems well thought-out and is remarkably clean. The hotel is in a great location, right next door to a Dunkin Donuts, and the parking lot is well-lit.

Check-in was friendly, with free cookies, coffee and Dunkin Donuts in the lobby. We booked a two-bed suite, and it was HUGE for a Quality Inn suite! It's basically two rooms connected by french doors and also has two bathrooms. Our suite was clean, the carpet and furniture seemed new, and the beds were comfy. However the rooms seemed sparsley furnished for their size. If we had small kids this place would have been perfect - they'd have tons of room to play. The bathrooms were the only bad spot - they were tiny and the fixtures were old. Additionally the cordless phone in the living room and one lamp didn't work. The room was also super-quiet. Despite the renovation going on, we didn't hear any noise at all. The air conditioners were also quiet. The room featured your standard Quality Inn amenities, plus a refrigerator and microwave.

Breakfast was well thought-out. The breakfast area was large, with additional seating in an outdoor courtyard when the weather is nice. It was your standard continental (with more free Dunkin Donuts), but also featured lots of pre-packaged grab & go items (muffins, Nutri Grain bars, etc). Given their proximity to the Cincinnati airport, this is great if you're running late for your flight.

I was going to give this place a much better review except that the hot water went out during the night and the staff was unable to get it fixed before we checked out. But honestly, what hotel doesn't have plumbing problems from time to time? Just bad timing that it happened during our stay.

Once the renovation is complete, I think this place will be worth a visit. In the meantime, get a suite, or insist on a room in the same section of the building as the lobby, as the "back building" is getting the most renovation.

• Liked — Huge Suites!!
  • Disliked — Aging property, no hot water.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank SixAlpha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Reviewed May 13, 2006

This place is tired and badly in need of renovation. Staff were friendly and helpful, but didn't make up for the lack of Quality. Not up to standards. Much better choices nearby.

• Stayed May 2006
1 Thank YukonRoadKing
Falmouth, Kentucky
Reviewed May 4, 2006

My family and I stayed here for one night, as we were spending the day at Perfect North Slopes. Overall appearance of the outside was acceptable. But once inside, the nightmare started. I had booked this hotel room online and requested a suite room,smoking ,with a roll-a-way bed. There was 7 of us total. So with 2 Queen beds, and a pull out sofa, it was still not enough to accomadate 7 people. So a roll-a-way bed was definately needed. At check-in I was told they had no roll-a-way beds on site, and it was a mistake of the travel agent, not theirs. But they did supply us with enough, sheets, blankets and pillows to make a bed on the floor for my daughter. The room was a smoking room, but with no ashtrays, the front desk attendent brought us some. So that was acceptable. The interior was in desperate need of upgrades. The ceilings in the hallways were stained from leaks, and the paint was chipping off and falling on the floors. Our room was somewhat clean, but the beds were filthy, what looked to be blood and semen stains were everywhere, and we even flipped them over and found the same on the other sides. The bathrooms were not acceptable, I wouldn't give my dog a bath in that tub.The complimentary breakfast was a joke. So we ate the breakfast bar at Frisch's which was nearby. The most interesting part of this whole ordeal was when we were back home. I received a courtesy call from Quality Inn asking me to take a survey of our stay. It was automated, so you just had to press 1-10 to rate you experience. At the end of the call it asked would you like a call back from management, which I requested YES. A few days later I received an email asking what I would like to report. I explained the confusion with the roll-a-way bed, and the uncleaniless of the room and beds. I'm assuming that my email was forwarded on to the Florence location, because 2 days letter I received a very nasty email from the hotel manager, telling me that somebody had smoked in that room, it was a non-smoking room and he had to pay $158.00 to have the carpets steamed cleaned. Well EXCUSE ME, I booked a smoking room, the front desk attendent brought us ashtrays, and I replied to his email, attaching my confirmation that clearly stated smoking room with roll-a-way. No reply was received. I will not stay there again. And would not reccommend this hotel to my worst enemy.

• Stayed March 2006