“smelly and messy, but quiet and friendly” 4 of 5 bubbles

BEST WESTERN Inn Florence
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Florence
GreenLeadersGold level
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
“smelly and messy, but quiet and friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on our way to South Carolina. The front desk attendant was friendly and attentive, providing us with a list of local restaurants. Our first room, non-smoking, literally reeked of cigarette smoke. Our second room smelled and looked clean, but was freezing - a/c was on full blast although the room temperature was no more than 65 degrees. Our room had new looking carpeting and furniture/decor but no baseboards? First floor hallways were over 50% blocked with several large rolls of carpeting. The small, exercise room had an overwhelming smell of new carpeting and was dingy and crowded. There were signs posted on the walls explaining the hotel is being redecorated and asking for patience. Beds were comfortable, hot water plentiful and the hotel was quiet after 1000PM. Breakfast food selection was basic but fine. Other customers had their (large) dog in the eating area and were not redirected by the AM front desk clerk to relocate him. She appeared too busy talking with them about a homeless friend she allowed to have breakfast at the hotel use the free customer internet earlier that morning to notice or care.
This hotel is fine if you aren’t picky. However, if the smell of new carpeting, dogs in the eating area and the smell of cigarettes is a concern, you may want to go somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
BESTWESTERNFLORENCE, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Inn Florence, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank You for taking the time and filling out an online review.
Our property and our future customers appreciate your feedback.

I did notice that you commented on the smell of the new carpet and I do apologize for this inconvenience but with time this will diminish. Your second concern about the smoking smell, we have renovated completely and are now a non smoking facility and have preformed every task to remove the smoke smell from the building. Your third concern with the dog, I will extend my deepest apologies and let the front desk agent know that having a dog in the breakfast room is not acceptable to Best Western Policy unless it is a service dog.

Again I am sorry for the inconveniences that you experienced but I can assure you that your next stay will be much better.
We hope to have the pleasure of having you as our guest again,

Brett Rouse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Richville NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

We booked here for our trip to the Creation Museum nearby - hotel was listed on their website. Found it to be clean, comfortable, with a friendly staff, and a decent breakfast selection. Upon check in we were given a listing of local restaurants with directions and a list of those that would deliver. The price was right and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BESTWESTERNFLORENCE, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Inn Florence, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank You for your review. I am happy to read that you noticed us on Creation Museum; it was our pleasure having you as our guest. We hope you enjoyed the museum as well.

If you return back to the area we hope we can accommodate your lodging needs.
Thank You Again for your wonderful review,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

Looking for an inexpensive place to stay for business in Cincinnati and picked the Best Western in Florence KY, only about a 10-15 minute drive to the Duke Energy Convention Center. For a business trip it was OK. If I had to take my family for just one night, it would have worked but longer it would have been a problem. The room was clean but didn't have any shampoo, just soap. The hallway and elevator smelled like smoke or something. After leaving early in the morning then getting back around 8:30 AM, I decide to eat breakfast there. The eggs were warm at best, just wasn’t what I am use to from a Best Western. Overall everyone seemed friendly and really had no problems, just didn’t compare to the other small Best Western that I’ve stayed at. For $80 a night and location, I would stay there for business purposes again

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Bob R
BESTWESTERNFLORENCE, Housekeeping Supervisor at BEST WESTERN Inn Florence, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Thank You for taking the time and filling out an online review. We thank you for your honest opinion. I would personally like to apologize for the missing shampoo/ soaps and the breakfast details. I am in charge of those areas and had failed to meet Best Western standards and also because of my lack of detail I did not leave a proper impression upon our hotel.

Thank You again for staying and I am happy to hear that you would come back for business but I hope that with a second chance you can see how we can make your family feel comfortable as well.

Renee
Chattanooga, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

As most readers know, Best Western (BW) has recently established three categories--BW, BW Plus, and BW Premier. Well, I think they need an additional categories for little gems like this. I'd call it "Best Western Boutique" or some such. It's far better than most of the BW Plus properties I've recently stayed at (or looked at and left). Although they are in the process of applying for the designation--you'll see evidence of work-in-progress--in my opinion it's really too small to provide some of the amenities expected of the "plus" places, and it shouldn't have to. It's just about perfect the way it is.

Specifics: It's immaculate, warm, tastefully appointed, and quiet. The beds and bedding are superlatively comfortable. The staff is exceptionally pleasant and helpful. (Special mention to night desk clerk Ila, morning clerk Stephanie, and chamber staff Chablis. Yes, that's her name.) The lounge/breakfast area is tiny, but seemed to accommodate everyone comfortably, and--a special joy!--the TV volume was quiet enough to permit reflection and quiet conversation. My room was at the back of the property (my request). Too often in the rear I see butts, bottles, and weeds; not so here! When everything is tidy in the back of a property, that signals a plus in my book!

OK, BW is not a top tier chain, and I would not expect china, stainless flatware, and real glasses in the bathroom. But if I have to register a quibble so you won't think I'm on the payroll, here goes. The Styrofoam (ugh!) coffee cups were thimble size and the plastic ware was the cheapest kind--the kind that too often breaks off in your food. I did appreciate that not everything was Styrofoam, but there was too much of that cheap ozone-layer-destroying product. In the rooms, lamp shades should always be straight, with seams to the back. And I don't know how to get the smell of stale smoke out of the elevator, but there must be a way. At least I didn't smell it elsewhere--a pet peeve of mine, and one that made me ill in a BW Plus property just last week.

So, bottom line, this little gem is better than most BW Plus properties I know. I'll time my next trip to stay here before they get the upgrade; once they do, the price will probably go up--beyond my budget--but will likely continue to be good value for those that can afford to pay a bit more.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank mbj2
BESTWESTERNFLORENCE, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Inn Florence, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Thank you for such a detailed review. If I was a customer I would appreciate all the details so I know what to expect during my stay.

I will mention that you did comment on the size of our coffee cups and also breakfast materials you eat from.
With the renovations we will be making our 6 ounce cups to 10 ounce rippled cup and remove Styrofoam. We will also be removing all Styrofoam from the breakfast and only be using 100% recycled products.
With this renovation we will be going green but will not be increasing the prices that customers will feel threatened to not return because of the increase in prices,

Thank You again for the detailed information and we hope to see you again

st petersburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

This motel is definitely worth the price. We checked in to the motel with a nice warm greeting from the desk clerk. We had a couple questions about the torist attractions and breakfast which got answered immediately. The breakfast has a variety of cereal, juice and delicious biscuits and gravy with lots more. The rooms were very vast and clean. The bathrooms are very spacious and the bed and pillows are very comfortable so it doesn't take long for you to fall asleep. The area is nice and peaceful. This place is definitely worth the stay and highly recommended. Hope you give it a try.

Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thank You for taking the time and letting our guests know about your stay and also the success of our hard work.
We appreciate you staying with us and we hope that on our next trip to Florence you will be visiting again

West Seneca, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at this hotel. We were greeted at the desk by a super friendly and helpful manager who got us checked us inn ASAP. She gave us a list of all of the restaurants in the area with directions. The establishment was well kept, clean and really very new. The rooms had new rugs or they were cleaned a couple of times. There was absolutely no smell of smoke. Everything in the place was great. Breakfast was terrific and even though we only stayed there one night on our way to Nashville, if we pass through again it will be our first choice,

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kenneth M
BESTWESTERNFLORENCE, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Inn Florence, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you taking the time and filling out a review online. We love that you noticed our renovations to the interior of our property.
We are looking forward to your return to our hotel.

Ypsilanti
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

This Best Western has an associate named Brett who not only was very nice and polite, but in her spare time baked cookies for the guests. Every hotel should have someone like Brett. The hotel was clean and quiet.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SimonCMichigan
BESTWESTERNFLORENCE, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Inn Florence, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank You for taking the time and filling out such a kind review about me and the property.
I enjoy my job and the experience of meeting individuals such as yourselves. I am glad that my passion reflects upon my guests.

I hope that when you return to the area you come back and visit.