“Old & tired, but very economical”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #19 of 28 Hotels in Florence
Elyria, Ohio
“Old & tired, but very economical”
Reviewed August 19, 2005

We needed to find a hotel in Florence, and based on the other two reviews posted here at that time, we chose the Hotel Ivy. Apparently it has been called other things in the past, but it is currently the Hotel Ivy. It is not the easiest thing to find, even though I had the directions from the website. Once you turn up into a shopping area (and in fairness, it was already dark when we arrived) it was hard to tell exactly how to find it. They must get quite a bit of airline employee stays because someone asked me if I worked for an airline before I even got to the front desk. We were given a room on the first floor (they do not have elevators, so keep that in mind if you don't want to haul luggage up the stairs) and a key that we could not get to work. I finally took it back to the front desk and they said, "Oh, that room is kind of hard--pull the door toward you at the same time you are trying to turn the handle down and see if that works." Well, if the room is famous for being hard to get into, change the mechanism. The halls, the wall paper, the doors, etc., all look like they have seen better days. The room, actually, was fairly clean. It's just the wear and tear of the years. Breakfast is also OK. If you book 30 days or more ahead of time through their website, you get the best rate. For us, that was $45.00. Two things bothered me--the back door where we parked had a rusted and mostly unrecognizable key slot for access after hours, which meant anyone could get in that door any time with no effort. I doubt their eyes are glued to security cameras to see if someone has entered the hotel through that door. Also, when I was checking in, a pizza delivery guy came and gave them a room number, so they just sent him up the stairs and told him which hallway to take. We've ordered pizza in hotels before and the front desk always called us to come down to get it. It seems like they are not too concerned with security issues.

• Stayed August 2005
1 Thank impala

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed July 27, 2005

Ya just know when you walk in and there is a Forced Public Health Closure of the swimming pool that you aren't at the finest establishment. But, at 11:30pm with a 7:30am flight we stuck it out for the night.

Our room furnishings were thrift shop qualty items. No working elevator? That's just crazy.

The only reason that I did not use the lowest rating was the staff. Front desk, manger, even the airport shuttle guys were nice ... it's like they thought they worked at the four seasons.

Avoid unless they renovate!

• Stayed July 2005
1 Thank haverin
Duffield, VA
Reviewed July 26, 2005

First let's start with the two negatives. One was the breakfast was not as advertised. We had no hot items. The website advertised biscuits, gravy, eggs, pancakes, etc. We had none of this.

Now to the pool. We stayed two nights. On the second day we went to Kings Island and decided to leave and go back to the hotel and swim. We we got back we were told the pool was closed and had been that way for days. But when I made my reservation I asked if they had a pool and they did but you could not use it. The manager told me well you could check out!!

Now the positives. The room was excellent. The beds and pillows were great. I was overcharged for the room but the manager fixed that with no problem. The price for this room was OK considering the problems we encountered.

• Stayed July 2005
1 Thank dawgrif
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 25, 2005

I stay at this hotel on a regular basis when flying from Dallas to meetings in Cincinnati. The hotel is in a good location to CVG. I've stayed at this hotel when it was Signature Inn, Ramada Limited, and now Hotel Ivy. The hotel has completed some major renovations, and the same friendly staff is there.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
5 Thank JordanPalmer
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed February 17, 2005

Stayed here 6/18-6/19 2004 when it was the Ramada Limited. Assuming things remain the same, this is a fantastic hotel. Staff was friendly and timely, rooms were spotless and even had a mini-fridge, and it is convenient to CVG. Parking is plentiful and it is in a safe neighborhood.

3 Thank AmericaWestCMH
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Reviewed August 19, 2004

I stayed at twelve (12) three diamond (AAA) hotels on my vacation, and I would rate this in the middle of those I visited. Formerly the Signature Inn, this hotel is conveniently located near a grocery store and a Krispy Kreme Doughnut shop.

The two-bed, non-smoking room I had on the second (top) floor was okay. For three adults, the AAA Rate was $56.74 with tax and included a desk with two chairs, two phones, a TV with remote, a microwave, a fridge with a separate freezer, an air conditioning unit, and an iron with ironing board. The bathroom was large and included a hair dryer, but the sink was outside near the entrance to the room. We had to ask for an extra set of towels, since only two sets were provided (all other hotels had three sets). Also, the bathroom had an empty box of kleenex and the bathroom door would not close (warped perhaps?).

Despite those minor inconveniences, the room can be summed up in one word...NOISY! Unfortunately, the hotel is located right beside a busy Interstate highway, so if you have a room on the second floor facing the freeway (like I did), you will not get any sleep whatsoever. The air conditioning unit did not drown out any of the transport trucks that continuously passed by. To add insult to injury, an Elks convention was at the hotel at the same time, and despite being elderly, they sure enjoyed themselves well past 3:00 am! With the walls seemingly paper thin, their youthful enthusiasm was not appreciated.

Overall, while the room was nice, don't expect to get a restful sleep if you get a room by the Interstate. If you do decide to stay at the Ramada Limited, I would strongly recommend getting a room away from the freeway...and make sure there are no Elks around!

• Stayed August 2004
2 Thank macmaroon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Florence
Days Inn Florence
Best Western Inn Florence
#3 of 28 in Florence
WoodSpring Suites Cincinnati Airport Florence
Americas Best Value Inn - Florence / Cincinnati

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!