“Everything fab until the morning”
Review of The Ship Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Highley
The Ship Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Highley B&B and Inns
Leicester
“Everything fab until the morning”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I too used a voucher to stay here. Very friendly welcome from some lovely ladies. Room was more than adequate and very clean. We dined there and the food was delicious. We ate our breakfast which was fantastic. We then decided to have a quick snooze before leaving. Knock at the door at 10:10am telling us they needed to get in the room. I'ved stayed at a few places, and was always under the impression that check out time was a pretty much standard 11am. We hurriedly packed our things. My boyfriend took the cases to the car. I was then told "dont forget you have a bill to pay". The bill being for the bar tab, and meal we ate the night before. We hadnt forgot, and nor would we..... and found the manner it was said quite abrupt. Other than that particular incident its a great place to stay

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My wife and I spent a week in a rented bungalow an the banks of the severn and used the ship inn daily a great welcome and made to feel at home by the locals. The real ale was of the highest quality and a good price and the pub always warm and welcoming with the log burner always well fed. Food was excellent and at a fair price highly recommended and the fishing was also good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
nuneaton
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Hello, my family and i, came here for the night with a wowcher deal of £39, i rang up and asked how much to add to children, which she said £10 upgrade to a family room. Great i thought, we'll go!
After a 58 mile trip from our house, we finally found it, it is a bit out of the way from the main road, and we was worried, what we was in for when we finally got there, road not very good leading up to pub, full of pot holes, but not the Ship Inn's fault, I'm sure they don't own it.
Pub looked nice when we parked up, river seven flowing by, nice views, bet its beautiful in the summer, we went mid February.
We went in the pub entrance which was not a good start with our luggage, go round the back and send one in to the bar to tell them you are there if you are stopping. Nice greeting, and a woman took us to our room, my wife and i thought the family room at the top was just our cup of tea overlooking the river seven and views, we were happy! We had to switch the central heating on by the valve and heated up quite quick, bit chilly at start but i don't suppose they leave it on 24 hours a day, the same as i do not. I would advise booking your dinner on arrival if you are having one, we didn't, and was asked when we went to get a meal if we had booked, luckily there was plenty of space and they sat us down.
The table lay out was fantastic, very inviting, we were gobsmacked, looked like the table lay out was set up for someone with money, not us (laugh). Best setup in a bed and breakfast we have had. We ordered a meal, about £10 per meal, a bit dear to what we are used to, but we thought sod it, the place is beautiful and worth the extra money, seeing as the room was £49. I would recommend the fish and chips, fish was massive, my son and i struggled to finish the dinner it was that nice, everything down to the tarter sauce seemed home made, no pots. Kids had a pudding and this again was fantastic. Meal we thought was very nice, fantastic room, woman fetched our drinks whilst we ate, and she was very friendly also, very friendly and professional. After this we sat in the bar with a big fish tank in the middle, nice looking pub room, bought our drinks and had a good chat, they have a duke box which we put a few songs on. About 9 o clock a singer came on that was a nice finish to the night, about 11.45 all the staff came to drink and started dancing on tables, we were gobsmacked again, they dragged my wife and i, and the kids up for a dance, they really made a good night and made us feel welcome.
We got up next morning to a great breakfast, cereals, fruit juice etc and again were amazed.
I have to say, i book a few hotel bed and breakfast deals through out the year and this one was the best we have stayed at so far for the money, most places want £100 plus for a Saturday night booking with kids.
I would say book a Saturday if you come, they have entertainment on a Saturday at night, im not sure off other nights, i prefer entertainment myself. The bar does stay open until 3 am if you want to stay up until your bladdered if you want. Heating came on in the night and we did have to open the window in our room we were sweating buckets, so i think they make sure you are warm at night.
We will definitely go again if any other deals come up, we really want a couple of nights in the summer, bet it is beautiful there, also they have the area decked and looks like they have B B Q's when its hot. You can sit in the sun and watch the river seven pass by. Also not far from the pub are picturesque towns and villages for day visits.
If you are like me, a working man that just likes to get his family to his self for the night, not too dear, we spent about £85 with room supplement of £10 for kids, drinks and meals and we went back home feeling like we had had a weeks holiday. Cant wait to try it in the summer, fishing there also and log cabins if you wish to stay longer than a night. They also have a train station up the hill behind the Ship Inn which has events throughout the year, picture a train ride in the summer, coming back to the Ship In, having a meal and a drink and when you have had enough, going straight to bed with no taxi's and waking up on a summers morning...i could go on for ever, fantastic!
I rate my stay 9 out of 10,

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank chris f
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stopped on a voucher offer...superb value for money. En-suite room (1) well appointed, double bed and single, usual tea and coffee, hair dryer, good quality bed linen and towels and free to air TV. Nice view across river and fields.
Full cooked english breakfasts A1
Fairly extensive menu, some unusual starters and mains to choose from. Had Thursday special offer 2x 10oz steaks and the trimmings plus a bottle of wine £25, couldnt fault the meal.
A number of well kept real ales to choose from plus the regular fizz for the lager drinkers.
Nice decked area with BBQ, for the summer months.
The steam railway is directly behind the pub - handy if you dont want to use your motor, you can purchase a day ticket to hop on and off between Kidderminster and Bridgnorth or just enjoy riding on the old engines if thats your thing. All the staff from the top - down couldnt have done more to make our 2 night stay any better. The pub also has regular entertainment on.
The only minor issue is the short road up to the pub is badly pot-holed not helped by the bad winter weather - so drive slowly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peter W
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Went in Febuary stay on a very cold night and had no central heating in the rooms till 2030hrs after asking for some warmth three times,not good, they put it on for one hour only!! Not heat on in the morning freezing!! Dinner was ok but that's all!! Breakfast was not available till 9am even after asking for 8.30,no cereals out!! Cooked breakfast was good but staff when asked could not find any butter!! I' ve stay a lot of times over the past three years at the Ship and found it good but this was a big let down, sham!!.

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank Boothecat101
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We went here while on a walk from Highley, my partner asked for gammon & eggs, it wasn't on the main menu but was on the senior and early bird menu, after checking with the owner she said it was okay but didn't explain how much it would be (£8 instead of £5.95). I ordered vegetarian lasagme, which came with garlic bread and salad. I asked if instead of garlic bread if I could have chips, after paying she went to the kitchen with the order. After a noisy conversation which we heard all of, she came back and said that I could have chips for an additional charge because the portion is bigger than the garlic bread, but what she didn't explain was that I was being charged £8 for the lasagne with just salad plus £3 for chips, if I'd have known this I would have just had garlic bread! I do not enjoy being ripped off, it's a shame because the food was nice but I wouldn't go again. Honesty is the best policy

Room Tip: Stick to whats on the menu