“NOT smoke free”

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Elizabethtown
Bolingbrook, Illinois
“NOT smoke free”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

We stayed at this property on Nov. 28. There are 2 MAJOR negatives with this property.

The first negative - it is NOT a smoke-free property. 2 people were smoking just to the right of the front door. We had to unload in second hand smoke and walk through that smoke while entering the building. I asked the desk clerk if the area to the right of the front door was a designated smoking area and he said it was.

A sign on the front door reads: “Breathing room, 100% smoke free environment.” Further, if you smoke in your room, here is the price you will have to pay: “This is a non-smoking room. If smoking occurs during your stay, a $250 Cleaning Fee will be billed to your account.”

Having to endure second hand smoke while unloading our car to enter a 100% smoke free building was infuriating. The stupidity of the management and staff at this property by letting people smoke right outside the front door should be a warning that this is NOT the place to stay. Especially, if you are subject to asthma attacks caused by second hand smoke, do not want your clothes and hair to smell like an ashtray or are nauseated by the smell of cigarette smoke.

Upon check out, I saw signs reading “Non-smoking area” and “Thank you for not smoking” on the walls to the right of the front door. Curiously, there were cigarette butts in a planter to the right of the front door. Regardless of what the signs say, the area to the right of the front door is indeed a smoking area. The evidence shows that.

If a property is smoke free environment, the area around the building should be smoke free.

The second negative - the showerhead was too high for my wife to use. She is 5’ 5” and could not reach the showerhead to change the flow rate. A solution would be to install an adjustable height, handheld showerhead to adjust the height of the showerhead.

Bottom line - definitely skip this place.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
CSgmKY168, Manager at Comfort Suites Elizabethtown, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Reviewer630,

I understand your disappointment after having to walk into our hotel with other guests smoking near the entrance area. Smoking near our entrance is strictly prohibited and we do have two designated smoking areas. In addition, our smoke free policy is certainly something we do our very best to enforce. As you noted in your comment, we have several different signs specifying that we are a “100% Smoke Free Hotel. “ Also, during check-in we have all of our guests initial acknowledging our smoke free policy. I do apologize for that fact that some our guests still manage to ignore our every effort to enforce our non-smoking policy. In addition, I do appreciate your suggestion with the showerhead and will be keeping that in mind for our future renovations.

Thank you so much for sharing your lodging experience, we wish you a happy and healthy holiday season!

Management & Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Downers Grove, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

Decided to stop here on way to Florida. Didn't have a reservation and ended up walking in the door late, around 10:00 pm. The gentleman at the desk was very welcoming and friendly. The rates were right. He gave us a wonderful room on the first floor which was extremely clean (believe me I check) and roomy; it had a small sitting area with pull-out sofa. We were not able to use the pool/hot tub because that area closed at 10:00 so I cannot comment. Breakfast was better than average for a hotel, the basics were covered plus your choice of waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits, hard-boiled eggs, fresh fruit and yogurt. It was more than enough to get you on the road. And again, the dining area attendant was very accomodating and the area kept very clean. Would recommend and stay if in Elizabethtown again. No complaints here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Bondville, Vermont
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

This was one of the worst hotel experiences I ever had

The reception person seems to have been disturbed from his rest the rom was small ( I had bigger rooms in Paris) the bath was really small and the overflow valve did not work.

The internet Wifi was really bad. I had to guess from the 5 networks (Comfort - comfort5) which one actually work and once I finally did with the help of the non helpful receptionist it disconnect it self every few minutes requierd a new long log in every time. Once I got the internet connection it was very slow. I hoped to watch a streaming Netflix it would hardly accommodate getting my gmail.

Worst was left for last though once I finally fell asleep my locked door was opened by some person at 4:30 am thank Good I had the door catch on so this person did not get into my room it did walk me up terrified and the night was over for me

So if you are in Elizabethtown KY and want to have a good rest you might consider another hotel

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Excellent place for an overnight stay while traveling! The rooms were clean & spacious! We checked in later at night but front desk staff seemed friendly! Overall we made a good choice! Also very close to the highway. You can't go wrong staying here.

• Stayed October 2013
Plymouth, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

This Comfort Suites is right off the main highway, easy to get to. There are a number of good restaurants very close nearby. The agent at the desk was very helpful by giving us a map and instructions on how to drive to a nearby Walmart. The room was large and clean and comfortable. Breakfast was the same as most other hotels but I still rate the hotel excellent..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed at this Comfort Suites recently and I have to say this is probably the best Comfort Suites I have ever stayed at. The room was huge. Everything was very clean and comfortable. But the customer service was what made it over the top. We had reserved with a promotional rate that could not be changed or canceled, but due to a sudden change in plans, we needed to move the stay from Saturday night to Friday night. The lady I talked to over the phone said she would get the manager to look at it and call me back. The manager took care of it and got the reservation changed with no increase in the rate. That is great customer service. We will definitely stay here the next time we are in the area. Thanks again for a really great stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Cunningham, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

We had 4 in our room so I decided to take the pull out couch. Absolute worse mattress I've ever laid on. I wasn't expecting much since it was a pull out mattress but this was terrible. There was no padding and you could see the springs through the fabric. The service was great and room was fine but the pull out mattress and slow wi-fi could be improved.

• Stayed September 2013