“I won't stay there again.”

Super 8 Elizabethtown
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Elizabethtown
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“I won't stay there again.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

From Michigan, I was heading with a friend of mine down to Nashville over a weekend in March 2014. We drove partway down to Nashville Friday night and did the rest of the drive Saturday morning. I wanted to stay somewhere in the Louisville area Friday night, but unfortunately there was some big event going on in Louisville that weekend which caused a whole bunch of hotels to be outrageously priced. I always use TripAdvisor reviews as well as price to determine where I'll stay, but I simply could not find anything reasonable in Louisville for Friday night - so I was forced to continue on to Elizabethtown where I found this Super 8 for the night.

It was about an 8-hour drive from my home in Michigan, so we didn't arrive at this Super 8 until about 11:30 p.m. that Friday night. The guy at the front desk was trying to call me - asking when I'd be arriving. I didn't get his message until later, but my guess is that he was calling because I was the last guest to check in that night. (I'm not used to hotels calling me when I'm traveling - especially in this case, because it seemed like the kind of hotel that has someone at the front desk 24/7.) Maybe he kept getting people asking if a room was available, and he thankfully didn't give my room away to someone else! I guess if he'd known I wasn't coming he would have offered my room to another guest.

Anyway, none of that was a big deal. We stayed in a room on the first floor, where it appeared that all the rooms were non-smoking. (Neither of us can stand cigarette smoke.) The entire first-floor hallway wreaked of smoke. Nasty. We finally got out of that nastiness when we entered our room. The room was okay, but the cleanliness in the bathroom was questionable - some loose hairs around the sink, the bathtub looked like it needed to be cleaned, etc. Needless to say, I was not impressed at all. Fortunately, I got a decent night's sleep.

Usually when I stay at a hotel that offers some kind of free breakfast, I take advantage of that and eat whatever is there. Well, given my experience at this Super 8 so far and given the apparent lack of variety of breakfast options (all I saw were a waffle iron, some pastries, and juice/coffee), I told my friend I wasn't all that impressed with the breakfast options so we ended up going to a McDonald's nearby.

I will say that the process of checking in and checking out were both easy. No complaints there. This Super 8 has an indoor pool that was closed when we were there (not sure what the pool hours were, but we were only there between, say, 11:30 p.m. and 9 a.m.). No hot tub or anything.

One other good thing to say is that this hotel is very conveniently located off I-65.

Based on my experience, I will not stay at this Super 8 again. Other people may not have a problem with it, but I definitely did. (Usually my reviews are pretty positive. This was an exception.)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank New_friends_GR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

Very convenient for my family! Very wonderful desk clerks, nice pool. Breakfast is your regular continental breakfast. Makes it wonderful too that there is a Waffle House right next door. The hotel looks as if it has been renovated in the rooms. We had a nice king bed, and a flat screen TV! Couldn't beat it for the price. We Absolutely would recommend this to out friends and family that stay in the near future.

Stayed February 2014
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

If you need a cheap and easy room last minute this is a decent place to stop. Front desk was quick and polite. Bed has a protector on it so not all that comfy. Air unit seems to have only two settings, burning and freezing. But it did the job. Breakfast is nothing to write home about. Go to Denny's or waffle house next door. Would probably stay again. You get what you would expect from the price.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

After reading the reviews i decided to stay for two nights on my way back from vacation in Alabama.

I was warmly greeted upon my arrival by the desk clerk Scotty. He was able to answer all of my questions about where to eat and even recommended some historic sites to see since I'm a civil war buff. There is a confederate cannon ball still imbedded in a city building downtown and that was quite a site to see.

This hotel is a little older so i did not expect allot, but it had new beds and headboards and for a 1 bed with a fridge microwave and a flat screen TV it had everything you could want. It even had a great swimming pool which was so nice.
The only issue i had was my room phone did not work but once i made the desk aware of it a maintenance man came with a brand new phone and resolved the issue and thanked me for bringing it to their attention and apologized for the issue.
I read where most people never report a problem until they checkout. That's why they never get them resolved. I have found hotels want to make my stay the best it can be and letting them know about a problem allows them to correct it.
Now i can stay at a great hotel with great service at half the price i used to pay at other hotels right by them.

• Stayed March 2014