“Well maintained and clean”

Mariaville Lake Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Mariaville B&B and Inns
Mount Arlington, NJ
“Well maintained and clean”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

The house was very clean and well maintained. The house sits across from the lake but fairly close to the road (a very quiet road, but a road, nonetheless). I think the reservation system needs to be tweaked. The voucher says to call to make a reservation but all I ever got was a voicemail. Rick would call back but it would take several days and if I missed the call we would end up playing phone tag. It took me two weeks to get a reservation made due to this. Once you actually talked to Rick he would tell you to go on their website and book thru there then you had to wait to get a confirmation e-mail. It was a long, tedious process. I was told by Rick, the owner, that I could book a room but if a "full paying customer" came along my reservation would be bumped and I would be put in a different room. I thought this was very unfair and not disclosed to me when I purchased the livingsocial voucher. As it turns out, apparently no "full paying customers" wanted our room so we were not bumped out of it. When I initially purchased the livingsocial voucher it said their were no restrictions as far as what rooms you could stay in but when I tried to reserve the carriage house Rick told me that this was not part of the voucher (although it said nothing about room restrictions). I felt they were less than accommodating as far as check in time. I have stayed at many B & B's over the years and always find that the innkeepers go above and beyond to satisfy their customers, not so much with Rick and Lauri. They were very nice but when I wanted to check in a few hours early (we lived 3 hours away), I was told that was out of the question. In other B&B's they have allowed us to check in, leave our bags and go spend the day in the area (in another words, not necessarily get into our room early, but fully accomodate us). Meanwhile the next day, we witnessed two couples check in hours early???? Ok for them I guess, just not for us??? When we checked in we were told there were kayaks and a canoe on the side of the building for our use and that there were oars in the shed. We went for a hike the next morning and talked about how nice it would be if their were bikes. Later that day we decided to go for a canoe ride and when we retrieved the oars from the shed what do you think we found? Bikes. Nice of them to mention that when we checked in. Certainly would have made our morning more enjoyable. Coffee and tea were available 24 hours a day, a nice touch. Also, supplied microwave popcorn, another nice touch. No afternoon cookies or snacks which I have to say is a first for me. I've never stayed at a B&B and not been served some sort of an afternoon snack. Breakfast was average. You are given one glass of juice and no refills so drink your juice slow. Butter and water were also hot commodities. We ended up going to the market across the street and buying bottled water since you are only given one bottle each in your room. The water from the tap tasted terrible and had a high sulfur content. There were various brochures, hiking trails and restaurant recommendations left out for you but there was little personal attention. They certainly weren't around if you had a question unless you happen to catch them at breakfast or checking someone in, you were on your on. I found that very different from all the other B&B's I have stayed at. Very little history of the home was given, etc... We stayed in the suite, I would not recommend this room. It was a glorified finished attic, very claustrophobic. Contrary to the majority of reviews online, I wouldn't rush back here.

Room Tip: If you go, check groupon and livingsocial for vouchers and stay in the lakeview room. Do not stay i...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pattidig
loredebois, Owner at Mariaville Lake Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
We are always happy to chat with our guests if they want, share the history of our beautiful home and respond to any needs requested. We do not hover over them but we are very available to our guests.

We have recently updated our reservation system to a new engine which offers much more convenience and accessibility.

The Carriage House is a separate house from the B&B, and was not part of the LivingSocial deal, which clearly states "rooms." The deal also states you will receive the best room available, which fluctuates based on reservations. This guest misunderstood the process even after careful explanation; you can’t get bumped out of your reservation or your room, because you always get the best room available, which they received.

Check in time is commonly 4 pm at B&Bs and is based on the amount of time it requires the innkeeper to prepare the B&B following the previous customers' check out. The guests that arrived early the next day did so unannounced, and it happens their room was empty the night before and therefore required no cleaning so we were able to accommodate.

Juice refills during breakfast , extra water, butter, etc. are always available. Just ask.

Our natural country well - where we get our water from - has a trace amount of sulfur in amounts that are very safe. This area is famous for its mineral sulfur baths.

Our Suite is the largest room, with a living room, bathroom, and cozy bedroom. The measurements of the suite are ample and comparable with those of many quality resorts.

Thanks for staying with us - in the future, open communication about your expectations and needs will better your experience in any situation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
New Jersey
Reviewed October 13, 2012

My wife and I stayed here the day after our wedding before heading off for our honeymoon. The location was beautiful, the room was comfortable, the food was delicious, and the service was friendly and accomodating. Looking forward to staying for a full weekend next time.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The very long review on the Carriage House on this site was unfair in our opinion. Although the Carraige House is not updated and is what we would consider rustic, our stay there was very pleasant. This was our second experience staying at Mariaville Lake Bed and Breakfast, and Rick and Lorrie couldn't have been more pleasant and helpful. I consider their customer service to be among the best we've ever experienced. They can't do enough for you to make your stay as comfortable as possible and are very accommodating. If you don't like rustic, then make your reservations for the house. Breakfasts are great! We had a wonderful time and will return!

Kutztown, Pennsylvania
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,907 helpful votes
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We just spent two nights at this excellent B and B using a Groupon coupon. The place is about 12 miles west of Schenectady--their excellent website gives specific directions on how to get there as well as many recommendations for dining and things to do in the area. The 1830 federal style house is on a large property.and has been completely renovated by Rick and Lorrie, keeping much of the old flavor of the building, but also moderizing it. The are comfortable, pleasant eating and sitting areas that are very appealing especially with views of the lake.

The house has 5 guest rooms. We chose the Country Room, which is the largest having a very comfortable queen sized bed with 4 great pillows. The room also has a single bed, a TV, a sitting area with a small sofa to watch TV, a desk, fridge, wifi and a private bathroom. The bath towels were very large and fluffy--much thought went into little details to make your stay pleasant. We did get a chance to see all the rooms and all were charming.

Rick was the host and was very helpful with suggestions and ideas of what to do in the area. He has boats and kayaks that you can use on the lake, there is a dock where you can sit and many trails around the property, with printed directions about the trails. He served tasty breakasts with coffee/tea, juice, fruit and each day a different hot dish--one day it was a small frittata and the other day it was delicious stuffed french toast.

We strongly recommend this delightful, well run place and hope to return sometime soon.

Room Tip: The Country Room was the largest room and had its own TV. Good views of the lake from its second fl...
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed September 21, 2012

My husband and I just got back from a 4-day stay here....we enjoyed every moment. Rick and Lorrie were wonderful hosts...there when we needed them but gave us room to enjoy and explore. Rick has several suggestions if you need any for things to do in the area. Breakfast was delicious every morning. My husband and I are vegan and Rick had no qualms about making substitutions. We will be back!

oh Oh OH...I have to mention the bed. We stayed in the Lakeview Room...we slept like babies!

Room Tip: Lakeview Room has a beautiful serene view of Mariaville Lake.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Don't be fooled not all B & B's are the same. This property stands out as exceptionally well maintained and clean. Rooms are spacious, nicely and tastefully appointed without clutter. Bathrooms have the all important fans and everything found in most hotels available. We stayed 2 nights and changed rooms (due to dates no issues with room), both rooms provided clean environments with adequate privacy from others, very quiet, excellent a/c (not noisy) and windows appeared to be newly replaced. Property is overall charming and very relaxing. Boats for lake readily available. Breakfast was wonderful...both meals were different then typical tired eggs and complimented with fresh fruit. It was truly a pleasure staying here. The hospitality and accomodation of owner Jim was very warm and appreciated. There are some great extras on the property such as a fire pit, proximity to water (on a lake-deck available for sunbathing etc.) and microwave/mini fridge if you a bring a few things are available in main/shared area. Additonally any negative feedback I had read prior to coming up didn't put me off and shouldn't be given any weight as the longer than ever list of complaints are unsubstantiated by people who clearly can not be pleased. I consider myself discerning, well travelled and like the finer things in life and I could not find anything wrong or dissapointing in any way about my stay here. I highly recommend it if you like tranquility and simplicity at its best. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Lake view room has a fireplace and spacious.
1 Thank PekoeGinger
Corona, NY
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I purchased the stay from Groupon and am very glad I did. When I called Rick he mentioned that the weekends were all booked till Dec., but he put me on a waiting list and so I was able to go this last weekend (8/25-8/27/12). Rick was awesome, and the house was VERY CLEAN and welcoming. The breakfast was delicious and we had the pleasure of eating in both the dining room (our 1st morning) and the porch (on our last day), which is very pretty. We met very nice couples and had great conversations. The Saturday nite fire was so relaxing by the lake. By the end of our stay we felt at home. Both my husband and I can’t wait to go back! We will definitely recommend this place and will love to take our family.

Room Tip: When the other couples left I was able to see the rooms in the house and they are all pretty.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mariaville
Mallozzi's Belvedere Inn
The Stockade Inn
#8 of 15 in Schenectady
Vintage Chic Inn Bed & Breakfast
The Inn At Glen Sanders Mansion

Been to Mariaville Lake Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!