All reviewsrice fieldsbabi gulingbalinese danceair consuckling pigpeaceful placeubud centreevery afternoonmin drivebusy roadnice breakfastpeace and quietvisit ubudyogapoolsfoundationspa
Reviewed September 3, 2011

I knew ahead of time that this resort is run by the kids in the school and I was looking forward to speaking with them. However, when I arrived yesterday there was construction noise. They put me in a ground floor overlooking the new building they are constructing. Hammering and a gas powered generator was going until 5 PM and started this morning at 7.

As a single female traveler, I was not comforted with a sign on my bathroom door in my room telling me to lock my bathroom door from my room at night for my safety. I guess people can climb in through the bathroom window. Not cool.

Room was dark with only a view of the cruddy building next to me with trash.

The kids were great and I did the top notch spa treatment. This is not a 5 star spa..these kids are learning. Do not go into it expecting anything more than being a guinea pig. They're sweet though and trying.

Not crazy about the surrounding neighborhood either.

This place could have kept me here for the full three days I booked if the construction noise wasn't happening all day and I had a better room not on the ground floor.

Onsite restaurant was fantastic! All organic and very tasty. Good prices too.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed August 30, 2011

I really enjoyed staying at Suly Resort. The young staff are phenomenal - we were treated like royalty. The place is stuffed full of eccentric Balinese character, and set in extensive, beautiful gardens.

However, be warned that the 'resort' (a slightly misleading term!) is crumbling. The place was probably the height of luxury in 1970, but it hasn't been renovated since. The rooms are huge, full of character, and have marble floors and grand onyx bathtubs- but desperately need TLC and a substantial amount of maintenance work. They are very clean though.

We booked Suli as a budget choice from a budget hotels website, and, for the price, our expectations were dramatically exceeded - you get a nightly turndown service, tea, coffee, biscuits, fresh fruit and inroom wifi, alongside a good pool and huge, marble floored rooms, all at a very competitive rate (if you don't mind a few dodgy bits of maintenance).

However, if we'd have booked expecting a modern and luxurious resort as is advertised on their official website, we'd have been sorely disappointed.

Even so, as it stands, I had an excellent stay in a budget spot, and would totally recommend it to other budget travellers.

One note: Balinese spellings are confusingly fluid, and the management interchangeably use 'Suly Resort' and 'Suli Resort' in advertising this place - both names refer to this same spot.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are lighter and have outside sitting space.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I have spent 6 nights at the resort, in the Family cottage, with my family of five grownups. It was a very good value for the money. Sure the buildings are a bit old, but you should expect it when paying significantly less than elsewhere. Plus it provides charm to the environment. We didn't have any problem with the shower. It just took a while for the hot water to come up. The mattress were great. I haven't got such good sleep on my own home mattress. The food was good, but not plentyful (breakfast). It reflects the Balinese apetite. The air conditioner was sufficient. We also had massages and all enjoyed it. The service was excellent, considering that it is provided by students in tourism (hotel related). I checked on this aspect with external (to the hotel) advice and the hotel effectively allows 100+ underpriviledged students access to technical education. They lodge and feed them for free, and 20% of the hotel (including tours and massages) profits goes towards paying for their education. If you choose to go there, and have extra space in your luggage, think about bringing along good condition second hand clothing and maybe some pencil & notebooks to give away to the students. It would be really appreciated.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2011

I booked this resort online because the website didn't look too bad, but when we got there the room was so old, smelly and damp that it was impossible for me to stay there with my one year old baby. Since it was busy season (August) we had trouble finding an alternative accommodation and the Suly Resort didn't refund us any money for the fully paid 4 nights stay! Later in Ubud we saw places much cheaper and better basic quality than this. It might be okay for young people travelling, but not for anyone who is looking for a clean room to sleep in. The only comfort about loosing all our cash was that the money probably went to teaching young adults in the hospitality industry as the resort school does.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Suly is a quite unique property ..the hotel exists to support the education of young Indonesian kids who would otherwise not have ths opportunity. On the plus side the kids who you meet every day are wonderful, happy smiling and eager to please..the hotel itself is very traditional in style with lovely open pavilions and beautiful gardens..there is a pool which is quite adequate. The views over the rice fields are fantastic and the area is quiet...in the street nearby you can observe businesses producing the fantastic carvings that this area is famous for. Unfortunately we had an older room (rice field view) on the top floor 3 flights up very steep stairs(116). The room has twin beds fly screens, mosquito nets, a small table and chairs, a tv (indonesian programs only) a fridge and tea and coffee making facilities plus a huge corner bath. The rooms at floor level are much more accessible with a nice sitting area/verandah. The restaurant serves basic indonesian food and breakfast was included. Free yoga is available every morning. There is a free shuttle into Ubud which only takes 10 minutes.

A new building is underway...and yes the present buildings need some renovation but as long as you keep your expectations in line with the very reasonable cost it is an interesting experience for a short stay and supports a very worthy cause.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground level room
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends