Suly Vegetarian Resort & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
All reviewsrice fieldsbalinese dancepublic areasbabi gulingsuckling pigair conpeaceful placeubud centrestandard roomindonesian breakfastevery afternoonmin drivebusy roadnice breakfastrelaxing staypeace and quietvisit ubud
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I have spent 6 nights at the resort, in the Family cottage, with my family of five grownups. It was a very good value for the money. Sure the buildings are a bit old, but you should expect it when paying significantly less than elsewhere. Plus it provides charm to the environment. We didn't have any problem with the shower. It just took a while for the hot water to come up. The mattress were great. I haven't got such good sleep on my own home mattress. The food was good, but not plentyful (breakfast). It reflects the Balinese apetite. The air conditioner was sufficient. We also had massages and all enjoyed it. The service was excellent, considering that it is provided by students in tourism (hotel related). I checked on this aspect with external (to the hotel) advice and the hotel effectively allows 100+ underpriviledged students access to technical education. They lodge and feed them for free, and 20% of the hotel (including tours and massages) profits goes towards paying for their education. If you choose to go there, and have extra space in your luggage, think about bringing along good condition second hand clothing and maybe some pencil & notebooks to give away to the students. It would be really appreciated.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2011

I booked this resort online because the website didn't look too bad, but when we got there the room was so old, smelly and damp that it was impossible for me to stay there with my one year old baby. Since it was busy season (August) we had trouble finding an alternative accommodation and the Suly Resort didn't refund us any money for the fully paid 4 nights stay! Later in Ubud we saw places much cheaper and better basic quality than this. It might be okay for young people travelling, but not for anyone who is looking for a clean room to sleep in. The only comfort about loosing all our cash was that the money probably went to teaching young adults in the hospitality industry as the resort school does.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Suly is a quite unique property ..the hotel exists to support the education of young Indonesian kids who would otherwise not have ths opportunity. On the plus side the kids who you meet every day are wonderful, happy smiling and eager to please..the hotel itself is very traditional in style with lovely open pavilions and beautiful gardens..there is a pool which is quite adequate. The views over the rice fields are fantastic and the area is quiet...in the street nearby you can observe businesses producing the fantastic carvings that this area is famous for. Unfortunately we had an older room (rice field view) on the top floor 3 flights up very steep stairs(116). The room has twin beds fly screens, mosquito nets, a small table and chairs, a tv (indonesian programs only) a fridge and tea and coffee making facilities plus a huge corner bath. The rooms at floor level are much more accessible with a nice sitting area/verandah. The restaurant serves basic indonesian food and breakfast was included. Free yoga is available every morning. There is a free shuttle into Ubud which only takes 10 minutes.

A new building is underway...and yes the present buildings need some renovation but as long as you keep your expectations in line with the very reasonable cost it is an interesting experience for a short stay and supports a very worthy cause.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground level room
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank rugbypopsie
Reviewed August 22, 2011

The hotel is quite run down and we had no hot water on our second day. We had to move rooms. I think the images on the website are very misleading. The young staff members where very nice but feel the website really let us down. It is a bad area not handy to anything.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I'd much rather be writing a positive review for this (or any place really) but the experience I had recently at Suly Resort & Spa - even the name is misleading - was memorable for all the wrong reasons.

It is set in the industrial area of Ubud, actually 15 minutes outside the centre, and even though the booking was for a Rice Field View room there were no windows looking out onto the rice field (unless you count the dirt smeared window in the dilapidated bathroom). There is a pool but depending on which way you sit you are either looking at the construction site (they are building more accomm rather than repairing the existing crumbling ones) or watch the builders (mainly women) carrying buckets of concrete on their heads. Neither relaxing or idealic.

It is run by children from disadvantated backgrounds who are being trained in hospitality and somehow this adds to the guilt you feel about complaining about such a hovel.

A few other aspects of my 4 day stay were: wall lamp collapsed exposing live wires, door on cupboard came off in hand, loud day and night, dirty - blood stain on wall, sheets/towels are gray, spa looks like prison cell block and the list goes on.

For $30+ this is way overpriced. Considering a beautiful homestay can be found in Ubud for $10 this is pretty rude.

I actually saw one family checking out after only one day stating they couldn't possibly stay another day - I wish I had also but my travel companion was cash strapped.

Ubud is overflowing with gorgeous places to stay (which is where we went afterwards), unfortunately Suly is not one of them.
Cheers