All reviewsrice fieldsbabi gulingbalinese danceair consuckling pigpeaceful placeubud centreevery afternoonmin drivebusy roadnice breakfastpeace and quietvisit ubudyogapoolsfoundationspa
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Suly is a quite unique property ..the hotel exists to support the education of young Indonesian kids who would otherwise not have ths opportunity. On the plus side the kids who you meet every day are wonderful, happy smiling and eager to please..the hotel itself is very traditional in style with lovely open pavilions and beautiful gardens..there is a pool which is quite adequate. The views over the rice fields are fantastic and the area is quiet...in the street nearby you can observe businesses producing the fantastic carvings that this area is famous for. Unfortunately we had an older room (rice field view) on the top floor 3 flights up very steep stairs(116). The room has twin beds fly screens, mosquito nets, a small table and chairs, a tv (indonesian programs only) a fridge and tea and coffee making facilities plus a huge corner bath. The rooms at floor level are much more accessible with a nice sitting area/verandah. The restaurant serves basic indonesian food and breakfast was included. Free yoga is available every morning. There is a free shuttle into Ubud which only takes 10 minutes.

A new building is underway...and yes the present buildings need some renovation but as long as you keep your expectations in line with the very reasonable cost it is an interesting experience for a short stay and supports a very worthy cause.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground level room
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank rugbypopsie
Reviewed August 22, 2011

The hotel is quite run down and we had no hot water on our second day. We had to move rooms. I think the images on the website are very misleading. The young staff members where very nice but feel the website really let us down. It is a bad area not handy to anything.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I'd much rather be writing a positive review for this (or any place really) but the experience I had recently at Suly Resort & Spa - even the name is misleading - was memorable for all the wrong reasons.

It is set in the industrial area of Ubud, actually 15 minutes outside the centre, and even though the booking was for a Rice Field View room there were no windows looking out onto the rice field (unless you count the dirt smeared window in the dilapidated bathroom). There is a pool but depending on which way you sit you are either looking at the construction site (they are building more accomm rather than repairing the existing crumbling ones) or watch the builders (mainly women) carrying buckets of concrete on their heads. Neither relaxing or idealic.

It is run by children from disadvantated backgrounds who are being trained in hospitality and somehow this adds to the guilt you feel about complaining about such a hovel.

A few other aspects of my 4 day stay were: wall lamp collapsed exposing live wires, door on cupboard came off in hand, loud day and night, dirty - blood stain on wall, sheets/towels are gray, spa looks like prison cell block and the list goes on.

For $30+ this is way overpriced. Considering a beautiful homestay can be found in Ubud for $10 this is pretty rude.

I actually saw one family checking out after only one day stating they couldn't possibly stay another day - I wish I had also but my travel companion was cash strapped.

Ubud is overflowing with gorgeous places to stay (which is where we went afterwards), unfortunately Suly is not one of them.
Cheers
Jo

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2011

1) prearranged but no one picked me up at the airport
2) sorry we do not have your reserved confirmed room
3) you can stay at our "sister" hotel, shuttle back and forth for massages,pool, food...
4) 3 wrong stops before concierge and driver can find "sister" hotel
5) "sister" hotel turns out to be "red headed step sister with alopecia and b.o." hotel
6) finally arrive at "other sister" hotel after half my first day is wasted
suly did offer a conciliatory free lunch and half hour massage though I never went back for it as the place is outside ubud. the staff was very courteous.
I ended up spending 4 nights at fibra inn. very central, super nice staff rooms acceptable.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I had the most amazing time at Suly Resort. The hotel is great value for money (I paid $44/night), I felt like living in paradise.

The best thing for me was connecting to the hospitality students that work in the resort. It felt like living among locals and it was very special for me. I'm still in contact with some of them.

The buildings are very old which gives the place character. It is surrounded by beautifully kept gardens. The rooms are very clean, but be aware that because of the age of the place, there are holes in the walls and I had mice in my room. It was a fun mission for me and the students to chase them away, so I saw it as an adventure.

The pool has loose tiles, so it might not be very safe with small children, but despite of that it is a beautiful pool with clean water.

I also really enjoyed doing the balinese cooking class and the temple offering class. They also offer yoga and other creative classes as well as spa in the resort. The spa is cheaper and better in other places though.

I walked to the Monkey Forest twice, it took me about 20-30 minutes. But the free shuttle bus or any other cheap transport which is offered everywhere makes it an easy and convenient place to get to while still being outside the hustle & bustle of the town.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from renovations
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo