“Reconsider what else is available” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Suly Resort Yoga and Spa

Suly Resort Yoga and Spa
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Peliatan
Perth, Australia
“Reconsider what else is available”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2011

We arrived from Sanur by taxi and I thought we had been taken to the back entrance. The front of the place is in serious need of a clean and maintenance. The signage is almost unreadable. Alas, this was not the back but the front.

I will say from the outset though that the staff (underprivileged kids) were fantastic to us and our kids. Super friendly and loved to have a chat. The hotel itself and the infrastructure is almost past its use-by date. If it is not attended to soon it will be gone in 5 years I think. If it wasn't for these kids we would have moved after the first night. I sincerely hope the owners are not using this as a ploy to keep guests while not doing work on the place itself.

Why build more rooms(out the back) when the current infrastructure requires massive work? I got electrocuted on the second night and had a tingling arm for at least the next day. Someone dies here and it is all over for the poor kids living there. Mouse in our room. Bathroom hygiene etc well below par. The pool is decrepit with tiles coming away and a large number of leaks. The mosquito net had never been cleaned and the room smelt of mold and mildew. Was confused by the signage for the minibar that didn't actually exist.

I hope the owner sees this review and takes heed. The kids are great but the upper management(who the blame actually lies with) is poor. Start a mentor program with other hotels (not necessarily in Ubud) and let the kids see what a well run and clean hotel/room should look like.

If i was to return here it would be without my family and to help the kids out. However before I would do that I would want to find out how the upper management and owners are structuring the running of this place as it does seem unlikely that they can start building more structures and not improve the current ones. If it is simply being used a money making venture for the owners etc then it will not help the kids when someone dies or is seriously injured there and the place shuts down.

The one plus was that the restaurant was taken over by the organic food restaurant owner (in Ubud) when we arrived and the food quality literally changed overnight from so-so to really good.

There are a lot more points I could make but....enough said

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank leda_perth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2011

I have stayed at similar priced guesthouses in Ubud and think Suly should be a lot cheaper - $40 max! It needs a bucket-load of cash poured in to revive what would have once been an elegant, charming 'resort' - a stretch of the imagination today. The students try hard so I felt bad when I checked-out a few days early. I left some generous tips to compensate but I couldn't wait to leave!! :(
Some pluses - incredible view of Mnt Agung on a clear day; good yoga facility there and Ibu Oka across the road.

• Stayed October 2010
2 Thank a_woman_abroad
Port Macquarie, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2011

In its day this would have been a lovely resort, but years of neglect have left it very shabby to say the least. They have obviously put no money into its upkeep and it is beyond dirty, very unsanitary. We had to ask for towels to be put in the "bathroom". When they were delivered they were grey and about the size of a handtowel. Our bathroom ceiling was falling in and had been propped up by pieces of timber. The shower looked like it had not been cleaned in months. The complimentary fruit platter was 3 pieces of shrivelled fruit you wouldn't be game to touch. The pool, although the water looked clean, gave me a severe ear infection. I feel sorry for the staff, who have no resources and try their best. I suppose you get what you pay for, and this is the case with Suly. In hindsight, it would have been worth it to pay the extra and stay somewhere that was clean. I can put up with old, but dirty is not acceptable.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Team2pluskids

Travelers are raving about these Peliatan hotels

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2011

I was in Ubud on April and stayed a couple of nights in this hotel. The surroundings were very nice, although they are currently building something in the back of the hotel so the rice fields views are covered if you're staying in the first floor.
The hotel is very clean, the kids are really nice. This is all for a good cause as you're supporting a training program to help balinese teenagers. They are quite shy, but it's all part of their training, yet very friendly and never spare a smile. They also have a suttle bus to the city several times per day so that's handy.
The entrance of the hotel is pretty ugly, and mossy. The rooms despite their cleaniness could do with a little bit of maintenance in the wood furniture. I'm sure you you could find cheaper and better options but again, you're helping the local community.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Yainus
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2011

Unlike most travelers who go to Ubud, I was not there to explore. Beat up from a week-long conference in Jimbaran, I went there for only two things; relaxation and Ibu Oka. On both fronts, Suly certainly surprised me.

The service was more than adequate, with patient and attentive staff who always greeted me with smiles. Do not expect flash, but more so a warm and homely experience. There is a small and simple pool out back, which I found to be sufficient. However, the real kicker for me was when I realized that Suly is literally across a very narrow road from Ibu Oka. Needless to say, I was beyond pleased.

In all honesty, I did very little research on Suly prior to making my booking, which was based almost solely on price. However, having stayed here for all of two nights, I have no qualms recommending it to anyone who wants to visit Ubud on a budget.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank jonnodotsg
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2011

I booked our stay at Suly Resort & Spa for the beginning of our trip to Ubud, as it seemed like a tranquil spot to arrive at. And that turned out to be very true. It's not in the heart of the action in Ubud (and luckily not in any of the traffic), the the only noise we heard on our first night was the sound of frogs and rain. The grounds are very lush, filled with flowers and butterflies, and while the rooms and pool are rough around the edges, it is nothing a lick of paint couldn't fix. We never did succeed in having hot water in our rooms, but perhaps that could have been solved if we'd cared.

We had two adjoining rooms in one villa, each with its own bathroom and its own empty front sitting room that contained a mini fridge and a few chairs. The beer and water in the minibar were very cheap, the same price as in the little shops nearby so we happily ate the chips and drank the beer.

We enjoyed the breakfast, particularly the fruit salad and the juices, while the banana pancakes were oddly large and thick, and the eggs were hit and miss. But the young staff training here are so charming that it is easy to forgive the slow, uneven service. They were attentive. After seeing some of our group wandering around trying to get a better wifi signal they moved their router closer to our villa.

We also enjoyed the complimentary 15 minute massages at the spa, and the shuttle bus into town which we generally paid for as it was hard to organize ourselves to fit the shuttle schedule. We didn't try any of the class although we saw one tourist chopping many different spices and he seemed very intent on learning Balinese cooking. We ate in the restaurant a few evenings and although very little of the menu was available, whatever they did prepare was very good and inexpensive. We also enjoyed suckling pig at a branch of the famous Ibu Oka's right across the street. The location wasn't as isolated as I'd imagined which was lucky, but the rice paddies around keep the air fresh and quiet. It was also interesting to walk along the road and pass the wood carvers in the area, although I wish we'd spent more time exploring Mas, which was in the opposite direction to Ubud.

The pool was wonderful, with a big wading area and a larger section that went from shallow to deep so that my youngest son was able to learn to swim in deeper water without any fear, something that proved very useful in later swimming pools. I asked for pool towels at the front desk each day. It was great to swim with a view over the rice paddies.

Recommended for relaxed budget travellers who appreciate the pace and the lush vegetation.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Plateaumaman
Woy Woy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2011

We read all the reports on Suly before we left and decided to book and see. Our room was large and clean, our shower you had to hold it was over the bath but worked well. The towels were thick but instead of white they had gone grey which was a bit off putting. I think that they might be updating the towels as the hand towels and bathmats were white. The pool was clean and breakfast we enjoyed. All in all for what we paid we would stay there again. The distance out of Ubud did not worry us as we had a driver collect us each day for day trips so this hotel suited us well. If you are not prepared to rough it a bit do not stay at this hotel but if you are looking for a base while you are Ubud it is excellent value for money. Thank you Suly Resort.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WoyWoy86
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peliatan
Ubud Bungalow
#73 of 193 in Ubud
Taman Harum Cottages
Taman Harum Cottages
#103 of 193 in Ubud

Been to Suly Resort Yoga and Spa? Share your experiences!