“Tepi Sawah Villas - Quiet Balinese Hotel close to Ubud”

Bebek Tepi Sawah Villas & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Peliatan
Montreal, Canada
“Tepi Sawah Villas - Quiet Balinese Hotel close to Ubud”
Reviewed November 15, 2011

My family and I have decided to spend our latest holiday closer to Ubud in Bali. We wanted to explore the Mount Batur and do a day of cycling in the paddy fields. We choose Tepi Sawah Villas because we wanted to be outside of the center of Ubud.

The hotel is located at 10 minutes drive from Ubud and a shuttle bus, free of charge, will take you to the Center of Ubud and pick you up under your request from 9:00 am till 10:00pm. Around the hotel, it is not very interesting but knowing the shuttle service is available, it is not too important.

Our villa called “Bituan” was located on the second floor allowing us to over look the paddy fields. If you choose a first floor villa, it is surrounded by a wall providing you some privacy but you will not enjoy the beautiful view. The room was clean but a good layer of paint would have helped to look a bit better. The beds were very comfortable and we were able to sleep well.The hotel staff was very nice, polite and efficient.

The breakfasts were excellent and the menu offered a wide variety of choices. The pool was small, clean and beautiful. They were expanding during our stay building a new pool but the noise was kept at a minimal volume to not disturb the guests.
The gardens were peaceful and we had enjoyed two evening meals at the main restaurant. The food was excellent, the staff very kind and the atmosphere was extremely relaxing.

We were not disturbed by mosquitoes as the hotel pay good attention to provide insect repellent in the room, terrace and at the restaurant.
When we were there, the Spa was not opened and the only way you could get a massage was in your room.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at Tepi Sawah Villas and if you are looking at a mid-range hotel close to Ubud, this might be the one!

Mylene & family

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Devonport, Australia
Reviewed November 13, 2011

I chose this hotel specifically as it was advertised as a spa, and I had planned a holiday which involved lots of pampering of myself after a busy couple of years. When I arrived, I found out that it does not have a spa, although they could arrange in room massages. I was not comfortable with this. I ended up having a massage in Ubud, but would have like to avail myself of more 'spa' services inhouse.

The hotel itself is located a fair distance from Ubud (about 10 minutes drive), again something I wasn't expecting, although they do provide a shuttle service.

I stayed in the 'Ubud" room. The room was very large and quite nice, except there were drip marks all around the toilet in the bathroom, which I suspect hadn't been mopped. I tried not to think about what they were! The hot water in the rain shower did not work the first night I was there, but that was fixed the next day. The shower was a nice experience though. I also had a lovely balcony room which overlooked the rice fields.

Due to its location, it was difficult to eat out at night, so I relied on the menu at the restaurant. This was adequate and varied for a short stay, and in keeping with Bali prices, very reasonable.

On one occasion I ordered a caffe latte which arrived and was very sweet. I suspected it was made with a liqueur, and when I asked about it, they showed me some syrup that they had made it with. It tasted awful and was undrinkable, and I told them that it is not how a caffe latte is made. Even though I complained, I was still charged for it, but given it was only about A$2, I didn't worry too much.

Overall, with the exception of a couple of staff, they weren't overly friendly or helpful - not in keeping with most Balinese hospitality staff.

The breakfasts which were included in my room rate were more than adequate with a choice of options. The mixed fruit juice was great.

Overall, even though I didn't get to stay at a 'spa' facility, and was a long way from town, it was pretty good.

Room Tip: An upstairs room with a balcony gives great views over the rice fields and beyond.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank fairywings2507
Brisbane
Reviewed October 14, 2011

I would give this property 3 1/2 circles due to few drawbacks.
Let me start with good aspects. The property is located 10 min away from the centre of Ubud so it is away from busy town centre. You can get free shuttle car and you can arrange a pick-up too.
I was impressed with gardens and rice fields, they were nicely maintained and lush. Pool was stunning too, very nicely and tastefully decorated, it had few sun-lounges around it,some table with chairs and awesome big day-bed. Make sure you spend at least one morning or afternoon there relaxing, swimming and reading your favourite book/magazine!
Reception staff was friendly and helpful, except they told us that it will take just an hour to reach airport, but in fact it take 1.5 hours (we were a bit stressed out thinking we might miss our flight).
Rooms were big and they had nice balcony, big storage/powder room and bathroom. They had modern flat-screen TV mounted to the wall, mosquito-repellent plug-ins (insects could easily get into your room through openings in your bathrooms and through sliding doors) and mosquito coils on the balcony. It had restaurant menu for room-service but prices were significantly more expensive that restaurant prices. The bedding was washed but grey and stained. I saw it in couple of other hotels and I believe Bali water is too hard and therefore detergents don't work properly to wash out stains.
Sleep quality was unfortunately poor. Mattress was extremely hard and we just couldn't get comfortable. Ducks, chickens and roosters were cute but some of them would start making noises from 1 am till 6 am. Small insects could easily get into our room despite the fact in was located on the second floor and would crawl on me at night. Air-conditioner filter was very dusty so every time we turned it on we would get respiratory problems.
Restaurant was hit and miss. Serving sizes were smaller than in other restaurant in Bali but prices were higher. Famous crispy duck was nice but nothing special, my local Chinese take-away does it better. Plus we got an upset tummy after eating it, maybe we weren't just used to that type of food.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Would like to express our utmost gratitude to the Tepi Sawah Resort and Staff. We stayed 3 nights (only wish it had been longer) 17th Sept - 20 Sept 2011. Our room (Batuaan Villa, reasonably priced), balcony, view, was superb. The meals and resort facilities excellent. The staff, Reception, breakfast, dinner and room staff, driver, and complimentary shuttle, were of the highest standard and excellent. We were unable to fault anything at Tepi Sawah and enjoyed our stay and our room was beautiful with lovely decor and clean with the spacious balcony and view of the paddy fields. We had a lovely relaxing time, the pools and gardens are amazing. Very peaceful. Would definitely recommend. Thank you to you all, such great staff and beautiful resort, and hope to return one day to your lovely resort and island of Bali.

Many thanks

Room Tip: We asked for a balcony second floor Batuaan room, with Lounge suite and coffee table, decor beautifu...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Adelaide
Reviewed September 17, 2011

We stayed in an upstairs Batuan villa with a small balcony overlooking rice paddies. Large room generally clean, but the walls could do with a good scrub. Beautiful gardens with a great pool area. A new spa was being built while we were there, so massages etc were not available. The staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfasts were delicious and more than adequate, but I wish they knew how to make toast! We thought the restaurant was delightful. The tables out by the rice paddies offered a unique and somewhat romantic experience. The food was delicious and the portions adequate.
We found Ubud itself rather disappointing as it is so busy and not the quiet relaxing place we read about before going. Tepi Sawah is about 2kms from the centre of Ubud along busy streets, but the hotel provides a free shuttle service until 10pm. The countryside around Ubud is beautiful, so if you like walking and/or cycling, you will still be in for a treat.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have views of the rice paddies, so choose carefully or ask.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Ubud, Indonesia
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Lovely big open setting. Salad Nicoise was poor - unrecognizable ground 'tuna', small quantity and little taste. Thai spaghetti was OK but small quantity and little flavor. Prices were OK though. Did not lodge there.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed September 8, 2011

Stayed in a lovely villa at the end of the property, with a large balcony & sunbed overlooking the neighbouring rice fields. Room was clean and roomy, good aircon unit and a bath/shower. TV only had 4 stations and 2 weren't viewable due to the reception, but who wants to watch alot of TV on holiday.

The restaurant seemed to be very popular with locals and tourists, and their specialities of crispy duck and bbq ribs tasted good. The "western" breakfast options weren't too great, but the local options were nice.

Free internet & computer use is available at the reception area which proved to be very handy. Also the shuttle service was great - they only required 20 minutes notice and would drop you off/pick you up anywhere in Ubud. More flexible than other hotel shuttles who would have set times and drop off/pick up spots.

Staff were all very friendly and happy to answer any questions. Would happily stay at Tepi Sawah Villas again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Kate L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peliatan
KajaNe Mua Private Villa & Mansion
#41 of 198 in Ubud
Komaneka at Rasa Sayang
The Mansion Resort Hotel & Spa
KajaNe Yangloni Private Boutique Health & Leisure Centre

Been to Bebek Tepi Sawah Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!