2,466 results
All reviews nature walk the river garden villa our honeymoon lower pool plunge pool main restaurant morning yoga every hour afternoon tea superior room heaven on earth rice fields shuttle bus cooking class outdoor shower shuttle service
Reviewed March 6, 2012

We went to the the Maya Ubud in September following our first week of honeymoon spent at the Grand Hyatt in Nusa Dua. We had loved the Grand Hyatt but we relieved we went there first - it really wouldnt have compared to the Maya Ubud which was absolutely heaven on earth. We originally had a pool villa which was stunning, very clean and they were all beautifully located. The first night we had an incident with some wildlife in our room but the staff were quick to help and we were lucky to be upgraded. The villa we were moved to was indescribably beautiful and had a fantastic pool and jacuzzi looking over the river valley - we couldn't believe our luck. At all times the staff were friendly and courteous - sometimes the service could be slow but we felt it was a reflection of how relaxed the place was. The spa couldn't look more idillyic if it tried and the view of it from above really was incredible. A little pricey, but well worth it for the experience alone. One little downer was the temperature of the pools - freezing!! But everything else about the place made up for it ten-fold. We took advantage of a lot of their packages, the Romantic Private Dinner, a spa/yoga package and the private picnic - all of which are highly recommended if you really want to spoil yourself.

Also the nature walk (which is free) was brilliant and the guide was really enthusiastic and clearly loved what he was talking about.

I cant recommend this place enough - it was the highlight of our honeymoon and if we could afford it I'd be back there tomorrow!

Room Tip: Get at least a pool villa - worth the extra money!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Becky M
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Just enjoyed three superb nights in this remarkable and wonderful hotel-resort. Quite breathtaking scenery surrounds this very subtle complex of architecturally interesting buildings which are very sophisticated but also sensitive to the local cultural style.

It is worth lingering in the restaurant where the food was inventive and uses super ingredients, well put together. We ate a la carte two nights and the food was excellent. The service in the main restaurant, like the hotel as a whole, is noticeably very friendly, attentive and genuinely caring. The staff clearly have a real pride in this hotel and seem to enjoy working here and enjoy making their guests happy.

Rooms are very simple, but thoughtfully desgined and decorated. Mattresses are very firm but I slept wonderfully.

The spa is *outstanding* and not to be missed. At the bottom of the estate and nestling above a white-water gorge and overlooking a tranquil infinity pool - one of two in the grounds - the spa treatment cabins have beautiful baths set against an open view of the gorge. Wonderful: do have the flower milk bath in your treatment package. You'll be so pleased you did. This is genuinely one of the world's great spa settings, but the treatments are also very good.

The high-up bar area is simple but impressive and redolent of both colonial grandeur and very sympathetic to the lovely view in front of you (accentuated by subtle and rather lovely lighting in the grounds). Cocktails and alcohol is pricey but a half-price 'happy hour' from 6pm-8pm was very welcome. The wine list, however, is well-judged and fairly-priced (as an expat living in Jakarta I can attest to the 400% import tax on liquor).

I would whole-heartedly recommend this hotel to anyone and pln to come myself again next month for a long-weekend to celebrate my birthday

Room Tip: We had two rooms on the second floor of the main block (which is a boon in monsoon-like rainy season). These are the hotels 'entry-level' rooms but they are large and comfortable (wardrobe space limited if you're staying more than a couple of days). Ask to avoid the first floor level which has no view and may be less tranquil: we were very happy on the 2nd floor and had a lovely vuew of paddy fields. The villas arranged below the elegant main block are better for longer stays
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 22, 2012

This a beautiful place to enjoy the quiet, peaceful, rainforest part of Bali. The resort is extremely well staffed and I was treated like royalty. I enjoyed the free yoga classes each morning before an excellent breakfast. I could not fault this place at all. I would recommend booking a villa over a room but either way I'm sure you will enjoy your stay if you plan a holiday here.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Spotteddeer
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Beautiful landscape, very very nice rooms! The Spa is worth trying, and it is not far from Ubud (by taxi or hotel shuttle).

Room Tip: Ask for a river view, watch out that some rooms are quite far from the lobby.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Stunning venue with first class service, the rooms are nice and big but were nothing extraordinary to me, I expected more for the rate we paid per night. Sadly ubud market is not as good from my visit back in 2010, great shuttle bus runs every hour by the hotel, best infinity pool I have ever seen and nice touches with the pool attendant bringing you towels cold water and refreshing cold face wipes. Breakfast is lovely in an open plan room with stunning views of the forest. Little sleepy think we were the youngest couple there ( 28 and 30yo).

• Stayed: January 2012