“I felt like home”

Tiing Gading Bungalows
Ubud, Indonesia
“I felt like home”
Reviewed September 25, 2010

Very nice place with lovely and helpful owners, Alan and Siti are super, they answer all my questions and help me plan the rest of my Bali trip. The room are comfortable and clean, the staff is efficient and friendly. The food is excellent. I tried the Rikstaffel with some friends, a real feast for not much. Only 10 minutes walk to the famous Dirty Duck restaurant in Ubud and 15 minutes walk to the action of Ubud.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Jipi0712

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
vancouver
Reviewed August 2, 2010

On the good side: The breakfast, and the food in general, was excellent. Allan and Siti, the owners, were helpful, friendly, and welcoming. The hotel staff were the same, always with smiles on their faces. The hotel was very clean. On the bad side: the pool deck was old and decrepit and definitely needs an upgrade (and for those who like the sun, the pool is totally in the shade). The hotel's location may be a problem for some. It is a 20 minute walk into the center of Ubud, which for us, with young children, no sidewalks and tons of crazy traffic, was not the best. Also, because of the location the "countryside chorus" (frogs, roosters, barking dogs) at night takes some getting used to. This is not a fault of the hotel itself as they can't control the wildlife! This is just to say, that if you are a light sleeper, you might want to bring earplugs. All in all, a nice hotel, but not the best choice for a young family. After four nights, we changed to Sania's Bungalows in the center of Ubud and are much happier for a third of the price.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
pietjeboo9, Owner at Tiing Gading Bungalows, responded to this review, August 7, 2010
I feel compelled to comment on this client‘s observations.
Yes our pool is shaded. The vast majority of our clients come to enjoy the culture of Ubud and normally use the pool only at the end of the day when retuning from their excursions. After having spent the day in the sun they welcome a cool swim.
We are indeed about a 20 minute walk away from downtown Ubud. What was failed to mention is that we shuttle our clients at no charge to the center.
Lastly, according to the web site of the hotel mentioned, there is indeed a room offered at about one third of our rates. The room has no hot water, no air conditioning .nor a bath tub
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 12, 2010

I have stayed here on two separate occasions, once with kids and once without. Tucked away off the main drag in Ubud, the beautiful bungalows are scattered amongst gorgeous tropical gardens. Everything is at your doorstep, yet it's very quiet, peaceful, the food is superb and the hospitality from Allan and Siti is most welcoming. Nothing is too much trouble. Only problem is, you won't want to leave!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ingrid60
Utrecht, Netherlands
Reviewed April 12, 2010

We got a real warm welcome at Tiing Gading. When the Dutch owner heard we were from the Netherlands he came to our balcony and gave us some nice tips about things to do in Ubud. Tiing Gading lies in the jungle and from the balcony we had a great view over the colorful garden. Rooms are ok, but the bathrooms are old and there’s no hot water. Also the beds could really use a mosquito net. We didn’t sleep well in Tiing Gading, could be because of our jet leg, but also because of a lot of insects in our room and the noise of roosters and frogs outside. Breakfast was fine.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
pietjeboo9, owner at Tiing Gading Bungalows, responded to this review, April 15, 2010
I am a bit dismayed at the review. Undoubtedly some of the criticism is valid some of it simply not true.
As the client states, we are surrounded by jungle and there are indeed insects around. We have tried to fight them as much as possible. Our rooms are sealed; we provide mosquito coils each afternoon in the room as well as on the balconies. We also advise our guests to keep their doors closed.
The guest claims that our bathrooms are old
All of them have been recently renovated with new bath tubs and wash basins and are ( as they always were) equipped with both hot and cold water. I have no idea where the guest got the notion that there was no hot water.
Rooster noises are a fact of life in Bali wherever one goes. Most Balinese, be it in the country or the city, keep fighting cocks. One cannot get away from them unless one lodges on the coast in some of the ultra modern hotels.
Yes we have frogs and I am thankful for them. They feed on insects and the majority of our guests find their noise soothing.
I guess, our guest and I have different measures when it comes to cleanliness and I just have to accept her opinion. I get often accused of being a picky Dutchman when it comes to cleanliness Pity, that she never voiced a complaint. Apart from the fact that we welcome constructive criticism it would have given us an opportunity to try and placate her.
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 1, 2010

A nice little get away with beautifully decorated bungalows in a garden full of colors. Nice staff and friendly hosts, who take you to places, which you would not find as a tourist. Situated close to the Monkey Forest and the Ubud stores. Great massages and great meals for low prices and the complementary breakfast is the best way to wake up in the morning...
Good value for money, really.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed December 28, 2009

We did not have the chance to stay in Ubud longer but the owners were obviously very accommodating and geared to provide the best customer experience possible. They offered a free pickup, were willing to give rides into the city upon request and provided internet access since we had our laptop. For this alone, we'd recommend it to anyone hoping to get a bit of Balinese hospitality.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed September 28, 2009

The layout of all the bungalows are nice and you really get a sense that you’re staying in Ubud. The service is very good and their unique room service system was interesting. The breakfast was tasty, and the banana pancakes are a must. I didn’t try the pool, it didn’t look very nice to be honest, but I’m sure it was clean.

I didn’t like the location of Tiing Gading at all. It is quite a long walk from the main area which is a real shame, as it doesn’t feel very safe walking around at night time, and most places tend to close by 9/10pm. There are a lot of stray dogs in Ubud, which I was not aware of at all before I went. I was almost attacked by some which was scary, but I think that it’s rare for tourist to be attacked. Even so, I would advise you to be cautious.

One of main disappointments with Tiing Gading was that at night time, despite our best efforts there were a lot of mosquitos and large ants in the bedroom. It’s not very pleseant having ants on your pillow before you go to sleep.
Also, I made the room reservation on their website, which said that the room rate was US$45 or 50, but when we paid for the room they charged an extra 15% for government tax. Fair enough a lot of restaurants do this in Bali, but a hotel should be clearly stated on they confirm their room rate with you by email.

Overall, my stay at Tiing Gading was good, however would I stay there again, I don’t think so.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank original_peach
pietjeboo9, owner manager at Tiing Gading Bungalows, responded to this review, December 3, 2009
---original user review----- Subject: Tiing Gading Bungalows Location: Ubud, Bali, Indonesia, Asia Title: Owner response ID#: 50470612 We are a bit taken aback with this review.
The customer claimed the pool did not look nice but "thought" it look clean.
We have never had a complaint about our pool in the twenty years we have been in operation.
The customer claims that we are too far away and that the location is bad.
We are one kilometer away from the main road, and a 15 minute walk away from the monkey forest one of the most popular tourist attractions in Ubud. Most clients marvel about our location since it is close to town, yet secluded and away from the door to door hotels in the down town area More over we provide free transport for those clients who do not wish to walk.

Too many dogs, I completely agree, but this is true for all of Bali.
In fact the local government is in the process of culling the dog population. Fortunately, according to the old adage, “barking dogs do not bite.”
Ants and mosquitoes are a fact of life in the tropics. We place mosquito coils in the rooms and on the balconies every after noon. We suggest to our clients to keep their room door closed.
We do charge a 10% mandatory room tax and rarely receive complaints. The customer may have a point that we should mention this on our web site
We really try to please all our guests, but alas evidently in this case did not succeed. Pity
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peliatan
Okawati Hotel
Terang Bulan Cottages
Terang Bulan Cottages
#3 of 5 in Peliatan
Desak Putu Putera Homestay

Been to Tiing Gading Bungalows? Share your experiences!