“Terribly disappointing experience - avoid”

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Covington
Houston, Texas
“Terribly disappointing experience - avoid”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

Got this hotel on Hotwire for $77 +tax. Began to get worried when looking it up here afterward. The negative reviews are correct from my experience.

When I checked in, I found that my room faced the interstate and was very noisy. I then asked the front desk for a different room that was more quiet and away from the highway. However, I was then given a room two doors down that was even CLOSER to the interstate. After a 15 minute wait I was given a third room that was not as close to the highway but there was still lots and lots of road noise inside. The AC helps when it is on, but I could not find a way to leave the AC fan running all night to drown out the noise.

As the rooms are grouped in twos and there is apparently very little soundproofing, I also heard a lot of noise from the room next door, particularly running water from the sink and shower.

The television is very old (not flatscreen) and laughably small (19" or so). At times many of the channels would not work, and some of those that did work had a bad picture.

The bathroom is very small, especially for a supposedly 3-star hotel.

The only positive was a king-size Sleep Number bed, though the remote control seemed to be broken as it often would not respond to button presses.

An inferior hotel overall, especially given its star-rating, and my stay was made worse by poor service. A negative experience and I cannot recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank killertofu56003
Radisson_Riverfront, Manager at Radisson Hotel Cincinnati Riverfront, responded to this review, June 23, 2011
Killertofu56003,

Thank you for your recent stay with us! I apologize that our rooms did not quite meet your expectations; as we are close to the Interstate, if you are not accustomed to the noise of the city it can seem a little loud at times however, we do provide our guests with double paned balcony doors which if kept closed help considerably with the noise level. In regards to your sleep number bed remote and the AC not running all night; had our engineering department been made aware of the difficulties you encountered they would have been more than happy to assist with replacing batteries on the remote and ensuring your AC was set properly. I am happy to report to you that you are right about our televisions and that is why we are currently in the process of re-wiring our hotel to make HD programming available to our guests, and replacing the TV's in each room with a flat screen television. This update should be completed in the coming weeks. Should you find yourself in the area again we hope that you'll consider staying with us again so that we have the opportunity to make up for the difficulties you experienced.

Radisson Hotel Cincinnati Riverfront

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Korean first
Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

My husband and I first stayed in this hotel on a Cincinnati trip in 2003, and would not have chosen to stay here again. However, I bid on Priceline, and wasn't having luck with the 3 1/2 and 4 star hotels, so I took it down to a 3. HUGE mistake. When I realized Raddison had picked up my bid, I was dissappointed, but we decided to go into this open minded and hope they had upgraded their facilities in the last 8 years. They have not. How this place can be in the same star rating class as Embassy Suites is beyond me. It simply doesn't belong there.

I took a look at Raddison's website for this hotel, and while hopeful before our stay, afterwards I feel that the photos of the rooms they included were very misleading. As a result, I've included my own photos of the room. Raddison shows these rooms (we were on the 7th floor) as spacious and updated. I maintain that the only way they could have taken a photo showing a room as spacious as what appeared on their website was if the photographer had stood out on the balcony to take it. Second, our room was a mishmash of updated and old furnishings, most of which looked fairly banged up. The curtains, TV armoir, TV, bed, and general decor was at least a decade old. Meanwhile the sink vanity, desk, carpeting and footstool at the bottom of the bed appeared to be newer. So in a 60's or 70's style building, we have outdated, mismatched decor from two subsequent decades. None of it went together, and made for what I can only describe as downright ugly.

The TV is OLD. Every other hotel we've stayed in recently, including 3 Star Embassy Suites Lexington, has at least one flatscreen in the room. Raddison hasn't updated this. There is no microwave, and getting a refrigerator in our room was something of an issue. The desk told my husband that their club members got first priority, then anyone with a medical need, and we were neither. There was one brought up later, which was so small as to be barely serviceable, that was placed under the desk. It was then that we realized that half the outlets in the room did not work. Those behind the desk and on the desk lamp were completely nonfuntional. Those for the nightstands were BEHIND the bed, making them impossible to get to.

Now for the bathroom. That mismatched decor gets ramped up with a BRIGHT turqouise and very badly done paint job. It appeared as though old wallpaper had been taken off the wall, leaving the sized walls, and they were then painted. There were areas were the paint just "missed". Turquoise on the white ceiling that was partially wiped off, and an area where it appeared the painter had tried to paint over mould and it was sneaking through. The only spot where makeup could be applied was taken up by the coffee maker, leaving for a cramped space. The toilet needed to be unclogged , and the general bathroom facilities were poor in general.

There were directions for a Sleep Number bed in our room... but no such mattress on our bed. Dissappointing, but we weren't expecting a Sleep Number bed to try to begin with.

There is no complimentary breakfast of any kind, a nicety provided by most hotels in this class. Most usually at least have cold cereal or rolls of some sort. Raddison has room service available, but for a family of three, this would have cost a minimum of $50, as they nickle and dime for every item. We ended up skipping breakfast entirely.

The most unforgiveable problem in my book, is that there were no rollaway beds available. When I called after making the Priceline reservation (which clearly said we were traveling with a child) to request one, I was told I would need to request any special needs when we checked in. Once we checked in, we were told there weren't rollaway beds available. No cotts or rollaway beds had EVER been offered by the hotel. WHAT!!??? This resulted in our 9 year old daughter sleeping on a blanket on the floor of a hotel room. There was no apology made, no alternative suggested, and no effort to compensate us for the problem. Inexcuseable.

We decided to sleep in a bit that morning, but Raddison had other ideas. Overhead there was a maintenance crew using hammers and a drill, and making quite a racket. We'd managed to sleep through the noice on 75, but a hammer directly overhead is another story.

The upside, is that the view of the city was nice (though the windows were FILTHY). The sheets seemed clean, as did the towels. And the bulk of the issues we had were not the fault of the staff. I see this as a corporate issue. There are other Priceline customers who have wondered if they've been given a subpar room because they bid through Priceline rather than paying full price. If this is what occured in our case, I think this is a foolish practice, since a review from a soured experience will cost the company more than it will cost the customer.

Not only will I not be back to THIS Raddison, I won't be going to ANY Raddison. My husband and I have already agreed that our Embassy Suites Lexington stay was so pleasant (better than Hyatt and Marriot Cincinnati last year, also bought on Priceline) that we will try the Embassy Suites here, even if it means paying full price for it. Embassy Suites includes a full hot breakfast, a 2 suite room with a pull out couch for our young one, and a separate TV for both areas. There is storage space, ample elbow room, a complimentary microwave and refrigerator, and wonderful, friendly staff. Raddison needs to get a clue. They could have made up for a less than spectacular looking hotel in many ways, including offering breakfast, a manager's reception, a microwave and fridge, or some sort of nicety for kids. Instead, they simply appear not to care.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Beargod
Beargod,

Thank you for bringing the difficulties you experienced during your recent visit to our attention. On behalf of our staff let me apologize for the concerns you mentioned and for not having better accommodated you during your stay. Our hotel was actually renovated in 2008 to add an additional parking structure, updates to our guest rooms, installing complimentary wireless Internet for our guests, and refurbishing our two on site restaurants. We're currently in the process of another renovation to re-wire our hotel to provide HD programming and flat-screen TV's to every room as you mentioned we need. Our executive level rooms do currently feature upgraded decor and we're in the process of ensuring all of our guest rooms have this as it sounds like you reserved a standard room, hopefully soon there will be minimal difference in the levels. Touching up the painting is also on our list, I can assure you we have not painted over mold but it is possible that our renovation team did not adequately remove the previous paint/wallpaper trying to cut corners, that’s unacceptable in my opinion and please rest assured that I’ll be following up to make sure that is taken care of. In regards to the outlets, they should all be in working order, there is a second ‘light’ switch which actually operates some of the electrical plugs in the room, perhaps it was accidentally flipped into the off position however, had our staff been made aware of this we would have been more than happy to investigate it for you to ensure your satisfaction. Breakfast is available in our on site restaurant and while it is not complimentary like our coffee and afternoon cookies during the week are, it is a nominal fee of $7.95 for adults to enjoy a full buffet and there is also an ala carte menu. We value all of our guests at the Radisson and I can assure you that the method in which you choose to book your room has no reflection on the room type you receive, it is simply on a first come, first served basis here and we strive to accommodate all of our guests for the room type that is booked. I agree that it is unfortunate that Priceline booked you into a king bedded room when they are aware of our roll away policy and that you were traveling with a child, if we had a double-bedded room available we would have been more than happy to change your reservation to that room type for you but unfortunately we don’t always know how many guests are accompanying our “third party” reservations. I understand your frustrations and apologize for your negative impression of our hotel, if you happen to give us another try in the future I hope that you’ll contact the hotel directly at 859-491-1200 so that we can review your reservation prior to arrival an ensure you’ll be satisfied with your stay.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2011

I checked in about 12:30 at night and Tammy was very presentable, very friendly and very helpful. She upgraded my room to a riverview king size bed because I asked if there were any way I could be away from the highway. She said certainly I will check and if its available I will be happy to upgrade you to riverview. Well it was available and I was pleased with the room she had given me. She is a hard worker and seems to care about the customers. We need more people like her around at other hotels. She deserves a raise! I had a nice stay at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011
Radisson_Riverfront, Manager at Radisson Hotel Cincinnati Riverfront, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
Sexyma,

Thank you for your stay and for your review of our hotel! Tammy is a great front desk agent and I will certainly pass along your comments to her. We're very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again in the future.

Southgate, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights in a room on the 17th (top) floor near the elevator with a view of the highway (but was told Mainstrasse). Think twice about booking this hotel. I bid on priceline and won bid on this hotel. Next time I will just spend more. There were a few nice things...the rooms seemed clean enough and the beds and pillows were comfortable. The bathroom was clean, I liked the sink outside the shower/toliet area, and the pool area was nice. But the negatives outnumber the positives...First the rooms are slighly smaller than normal because of the circular shape of the hotel and two room doors are "extremely" close together within another entry door that is open all the time. Weird. Second the noise is HORRIBLE! From the freeway to the icemachine and doors shutting...don't count on sleeping without a sedative! The front desk people were not that helpful or informative about cincinnati tourist attractions and locations. The Roberling Suspension bridge is listed as a tourist attraction and something to visit, yet everyone we asked could not tell us which one it was or how to get there! Not really walkable to anything except Mainstrasse and the Wafflehouse. And although right next to the freeway, was not convient because it was down to one lane due to constuction during our whole visit. And noone mentioned the shuttle that one could catch a block up the street.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank boysx3
Boysx3,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay. We have recently hired new personnel and implemented new training techniques for our front desk staff which will make them more familiar with the area and those services such as the SouthBank Shuttle which are available to our guests. In regards to the location of your room, from your remarks it sounds like you probably had a room ending in 21 or 22 which can be used as ‘connecting’ rooms; because of our round shape, our connecting rooms are a little different than most with an outer door that closes to create a sort of ‘hallway’ so the two rooms can leave their doors open and go between rooms with ease. This would explain the entrance to your room which would be a little odd without knowing why it is that way; again I apologize for our staff not having explained that prior to your checking in to the room along with the knowledge that as MainStrasse Village is across from the hotel, as adjacent to the highway as we are, that while viewing MainStrasse if you look to the right you will be able to see the interstate. Again, I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay and I hope you’ll reconsider staying with us in the future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

The hotel room was clean. The staff was not at all friendly at the front desk. He just gave me the key and didn't explain anything.(Room and parking locations, check-out time, restaurant,ect...) The hotel is located right on the interstate, so it is very noisy with all the traffic. the bed was a sleep number, but probably 10 years old because it felt like sleeping on a lopsided air mattress. I won't be returning.

• Stayed June 2011
Ndg216,

First let me apologize that our front desk staff missed an opportunity to explain the features and amenities of our hotel. We have recently hired new personnel and organized additional training for this department which will no doubt remedy some of the issues you experienced during check in. As you stated in your review, we are located next to the highway and while it can be difficult to adjust to if you are not used to the noises of the city we have taken measures such as adding double paned windows to our guest rooms that will help considerably with controlling the noise level. It is always our intention to provide the best customer service so I hope that should your travels bring you to the area again you'll stop by to see the improvements we've made.

Philly
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2011

I can't figure out if this is a 3.5 star hotel pretending to be an expressway exit motor lodge, or a motor lodge pretending to be a 3.5 star hotel. Either way, it just does not come out quite right.
The good, um nothing really special stood out. The linens were white & clean, the hot water was plentiful & hot, the decor was pretty good, (although a couple small stains on the carpet). All that is just expected as standard, to my way of thinking.
The neutral. I did not expect refrigerator & microwave, so it was a surprise when I found them in the cabinet. However the ref. froze the milk I bought for my coffee (which was Maxwell House BTW, room to improve there) and the microwave did not work at all. (Or else I could have used it to thaw out my milk.) (I never bothered to ask for help or repairs.)
A lot of people here on TA complain about the noise. Yes, there was highway noise, but I would say it was exactly the same db level as the room ac units. One night I slept with the balcony open part way -- same difference.
I found the easy on & off of the I-75 very convenient to the work I had to do downtown, and the free parking lot was fine.
I was looking forward to the pool, but it's right off the main lobby, and adjoins the entrance to the pub, I was really uncomfortable with the location
Now the really weird. When I checked in I told the clerk I was "all about the view" and he happily gave me room 1326. Great, a room previously recommended here. And it has a view over to downtown Cincinnati, lots of bridges & skyscrapers & stuff like that.
Then, I look down & I have never seen so much fast food sprawl in my life! This is what I see from my balcony: A Shell gas station & store, a Speedway gas station & store, a BP gas station & store, a Waffle House, a sports bar of some sort, a Skyline Chili, a White Castle, a McD's, a Burger King, a Gold Star Chili, a liquor store, a Big Boy restaurant, another liquor store, a Subway, and a Taco Bell. It's pretty scary.
On the balance, I think I'll look for someplace else next time.

Room Tip: ask for the east side
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Cherylad,

Thank you for staying with us! I apologize that the entrance to our pool from the lobby is in close proximity to one of our on site restaurants and that looking down on the convenient location did not meet your expectations. As you mentioned in your review we are located right off the interstate and just across the river from down-town Cincinnati, there are several restaurants, including the ones you mentioned, in addition to the quaint MainStrasse Village, gas stations, and other local businesses who have also taken advantage of the highly accessible area. Many of our guests find that having so many options within walking distance to our hotel provides a prime outlet for free time and dining needs while keeping them perfectly safe in the process. I’m sure that had your concerns over the area been brought to our attention we could have assisted in explaining what some of the local establishments are and how family friendly the area is to ease your mind; sometimes it is difficult to tell much about a business by looking down upon its roof. However, I am glad you enjoyed the rest of the view; seeing the river and the many bridges that make Cincinnati a unique place to visit and that your guest room was pleasant. If you are in the area I do hope that you’ll visit us again and take advantage of the wonderful amenities that we offer.

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2011

I have to say I was shocked to see some of the negative responses. My weekend stay and dinner at 360 were both perfect. I was on the 13th floor and had no sound issues... in fact it took me a while to figure out that a sound I heard at one point was the fireworks at the Reds game across the river... I missed half of the fireworks, but once I got out onto my balcony I had the most amazing view!! Worth every penny! I have stayed in the 37th floor of a Time Square hotel with more so called stars but it had way more street noise than my 13th floor room at the Radisson Covington. The staff bent over backwards for me and my group... no matter what we asked for was received with a "can do" spirit. I will recommend this hotel to all my friends and family.

• Stayed May 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Covington
Comfort Suites
#3 of 6 in Newport
Central Business District
Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza

Been to Radisson Hotel Cincinnati Riverfront? Share your experiences!