“Acceptable, not bad”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Covington
San Diego, California
“Acceptable, not bad”
Reviewed October 3, 2007

We were here for 3 nights for a convention. I had asked for a quiet room, but still the door was pretty close to the elevators, so I was able to hear the doors from time to time (I use a sound conditioner so this muffled it). The Sleep Number bed was interesting (my first time) and eventually comfortable. The bedding seemed new and fresh. Our window faced a park across the street. I think the best rooms would give a view of the city skyline, so try to ask for that. The neighborhood was a little scary but I felt OK walking during the day to get some fast food.

• Liked — Close to bus service to area attractions
  • Disliked — Would have preferred room with better view and away from elevator doors
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank TerriM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Korean first
Indianapolis
Reviewed October 1, 2007

I ABSOLUTELY loved this hotel. The staff bent over backwards to accommodate us. The rooms were spacious and well taken care of. I don’t think I have ever stayed in a hotel where the towels were soft. The locality is perfect for all of Cincinnati’s attractions. Their sales manager Kristen was VERY knowledgeable and helpful both prior to our visit and during. I don’t think I have EVER given a hotel five star but this one deserves at least five.

• Stayed September 2007
Dayton Ohio
Reviewed August 9, 2007

I stayed at this hotel Jul 19-22, 2007 for the state convention of the National Association of Postal Supervisors. I found the hotel to be clean and cozy. The only problem I had was the ice machine did not work on the 11th floor so I had to go to another floor to get ice. I found the sleep number bed interesting and managed to get a good nights sleep. There are plenty of cheap restaurants around the hotel and it is close to the interstate. Newport on the Levee was not far and overall I had a good convention and a pleasant stay at this hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Ice machine on 11th floor broken
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank mauieric
Roanoke
Reviewed July 19, 2007

We stayed here for 1 night 7/15/07
The hotel was easy to find & it was easy to get to Newport on the Levee from the hotel too. The neighborhood seemed a little seedy. BTW, I have never seen a drive thru cigarette store before.
When we checked in, I asked for a riverfront room but was told that they could not give that to me because I booked on Hotwire. Instead, they gave us a room which was on the side. It was next to the interstate, but also had a nice view of the river & an angle view of the city.
Our room was clean. The room also had a fridge. The remote to the TV did not work & I called the front desk & they sent someone up who fixed it right away. The beds were sleep number beds. We have never slept on sleep number beds before. We both played with it to try to get it "just right." I liked it but my mother did not (I told her she must have had the wrong number, haha). The sheets & comforter were also soft & comfy. My bed was the one closest to the balcony & thus the interstate. The interstate was busy all night. At first, it was a little difficult to fall asleep, but the hum of the air conditioner helped. My mother slept in the bed farther from the window & never heard anything.
Their pool was closed for renovation. They have a rotating dining room on the top floor which had beautiful views. They had 1 computer for internet use & the screen on it was damaged so it had big spot in the middle which was perminently black & blue because the pixels didn't work anymore. The computer itself was so bogged down with spam that it crawled thru the internet. The longer I used it, the slower it went until it seemed to stop. I finally gave up & left.
Hotel is pretty close to baseball & football stadiums. Neither were playing while we were there.
For the price I paid, we got a good deal.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed June 13, 2007

I stayed here two nights during a conference I was attending at the convention center a few blocks away. I did not have any problems with the room. It was on the fifth floor. The room was small, but not cramped, even with two double beds. I did not care for the Sleep Number beds. The mattresses felt queasy like waterbeds and they were difficult to get comfortable in. The open-air balcony was a plus, even though ours overlooked the roof of the pool and the back of a gas station. Our room had coffee maker, tiny refrigerator, and hair dryer, although we did not use them. The regular facilities worked fine for us.

During our stay, we did not use the pool, the fitness room, or the advertised breakfast. We did eat one dinner in the revolving restaurant at the top of the building. The food was all right but the prices were outrageously expensive, I thought, being about $25 each. The views were fabulous, however. It takes about one hour and ten minutes to make the full circle.

The free parking was nice, and the hotel was within walking distance of the river, the convention center, and several restaurants. On the first night of our stay, there was a festival taking place in the neighborhood (carnival rides, beer tent, and bands on outdoor stages) which was loud enough to be heard inside the room until 2 a.m. I probably would not stay there again, if I had the choice.

• Liked — The revolving restaurant at the top was fun.
  • Disliked — It seemed too expensive for what we got.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Pferdina
Michele Orr
Reviewed June 8, 2007

Stayed there from May 25th until May 28th, Will never stay there again!!
If you need a handicapped room, they are small, inconvenient & the bathroom is dangerous. The water when taking a shower goes everywhere,since they are roll in. The floor/shower are not sloped and the shower curtain is about 10" too short. So when you get out...there is about 1" of standing water and it is slippery. The person helping me almost fell several times. So we layered extra towels to sop up the water everytime and who wants to do that??? Our coffee pot did not work, and was full of water that we didn't put in.
Couldn't flush without plunging. Don't have any queen or king size beds available in handicapped rooms, we had 2 doubles my hubby & I slept in 1 and our teenage son slept in the other.
Although advertised fridge in everyroom, we had to ask for it.
Not as clean as it should be. Just not a good experience for us.

For our money, we'll go back over to the Hampton Inn, cleaner, nicer, quieter, bigger rooms, and customer friendly.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Bibsie
Indiana
Reviewed June 6, 2007

As a former Cincinnati resident, I chose this hotel for the location and the value. It has great views and is very convenient to all the activities that I wanted to do in Covington, Newport and downtown Cincinnati--Newport on the Levy, all of the historic riverside mansions, carriage rides, riverboat rides, Mainstrasse Village, the Newport Aquarium, a walk across the Purple People Bridge to Sawyer Point and Montgomery Inn Boathouse, the ballparks, etc. (It is quite far from King's Island, so definitely choose another hotel in northeast Cincinnati if that's where you want to go.) The Radisson is about seven or eight miles from the airport and has an airport shuttle. There is also a shuttle that takes you to other attractions in the area for just $1. Driving in the Cincinnati area can be a challenge, so it's great to just park the car and let someone else worry about it! This hotel was built in the 1970's, and when you look at the outside, it's easy to picture the Jetsons flying up to one of the balconies. To me that adds to the charm, but if you're looking for a brand new hotel, you will be disappointed. The round shape of the hotel affects the size of the rooms, and the cheapest rooms (which you'll probably end up with if you use Priceline, etc.) are actually called Double Compact Rooms and most if not all of those don't have the best views. Go to their website to see descriptions. [--] Several other hotels in the area charge quite a bit to park, so complimentary parking is definitely a plus too.

Do not expect luxury. This is an older hotel, but you're also not paying luxury hotel prices for the perks that you do get. There's a revolving rooftop restaurant that made Zagat's list of 100 most romantic restaurants in the U.S., wonderful views of the river, the fireworks over the ballparks and the lights of Cincinnati, and a pool with a retractable rooftop.

• Liked — View, shuttles, location, restaurant, pool
  • Disliked — Older hotel, smaller rooms
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled with friends
3 Thank Karrie27
Also consider these accommodations in or near Covington
Central Business District
Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza

Been to Radisson Hotel Cincinnati Riverfront? Share your experiences!