“Just ok”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Covington
Southeast
“Just ok”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We were in town for a mixture of business and a long weekend get-away, Thursday through Sunday. We stayed here because we wanted to go to a local festival (MaiFest) to eat brats and drink beer!!! For that purpose, it was great. However...the staff was lacking. Let me preface all this by saying they had at least two large groups of teens staying that weekend, so I'm sure everyone was frazzled. We heard the kids all night Friday, so I'm sure they left quite the mess to clean up. But, our room was not serviced at all on Friday, even though we left at 9 am and did not return until late. No real problem, as we had hung up our towels and are quite willing to re-use them. I don't change sheets daily and don't expect a hotel to. But, there was no coffee, no clean cups, etc. When we advised the front desk that our room was not serviced and we would need more coffee, she gave us two (one for each of us) and no new cups. Ok. So, the next morning, I put out the "please change the linen" sign (this was the only request I could find - I really just wanted the trash emptied, some coffee and new paper cups, but...). We went to the coffee dispenser near the lobby - it was empty. Other patrons had just advised them it was out, so a front desk employee came to get the coffee urn, and complained about customers who filled their big cups with coffee on the way out for the day. He talked about how inconsiderate they were, for several minutes. I did not stay for him to return with the coffee, as I did not want to listen to him complain about the people who are the only reason he had a JOB! Anyway, when I got back that evening, they had changed the sheets, gave us fresh towels and emptied one trashcan. No clean bath mat. No new cups. No coffee. One full trash can. So, back I go for more coffee. She gave me three this time, and I got my own fresh cups from the stand. The next morning (Sunday) we decided to eat their breakfast before heading out. At 7:30 they were just stocking the buffet. Watery eggs, really bad gravy (for biscuits, which were decent!), cold, packaged sweet rolls...Oh well. The location is convenient. Bed is fine. Easy access to interstate, walking distance to park. That's the best I can say.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SouthernSweetT
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cincinnati Riverfront, responded to this review, June 30, 2012
Dear SouthernSweetT,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the hotel staff may have caused. We will follow up with the staff to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Regards,

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Great location, near Mainstausse and close to Red's stadium. All employees greeted us and made us feel at home. Restaurant and bar are great, (both bar & restaurant are spotless).

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Katherine0713
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 3, 2012 via mobile

Good location and friendly staff but this place needs an update, yesterday. The hallways and rooms are musty and stale smelling. This isnt the typical holiday inn standard...id steer away unless everything else is booked.

Stayed May 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cincinnati Riverfront, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Dear jamesmichael7,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are pleased you liked our location as well as our friendly staff. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received room accommodations which fell below your expectations. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Chesapeake, Ohio
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Went to a Mary Kay Conference this past weekend and am pleased to say that the service was top of the line! Treated as a queen!!! Made me feel appreciated and special. Entire team made special effort to make everyone's stay wonderful!!! Entire staff were helpful and eager to assist with all issues!!!

Room Tip: Explain your needs and the staff is very helpful.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dickson, Tennessee
Reviewed April 2, 2012

The location is dynamic . The Hotel Staff goes over the TOP! I stay 8 times per month in various hotels this hotel is my favorite . The breakfast is a full buffet .
The hotel is located near various restaurants in walking distance . No additional charge for parking . The Hotel Manager Mark greeted us checked on our group constantly during our stay . I had a group of 45 and we had not one complaint from anyone . I would recomend this hotel to anyone any age .

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Angelmk
Lake City, Florida
Reviewed March 30, 2012

I'll give this a 4 out of 5 for a night or two, but for extended stays it drops to a 3. This location is an older property, but it's fairly well taken care of for the most part. Upon check in, I tried to get the complimentary platimum member upgrade to a suite room, but was shot down "due to my length of stay". a.k.a. they're not going to make any extra money off a guy staying 2 1/2 weeks in a suite room who was only booked for a standard room. My requirements for any hotel I stay in are a refrigerator and microwave. if they don't have them, I go elsewhere. The fridge they brought up to my room was an absolute joke. I never knew they made 'em that small as it wasn't much bigger than a shoebox! I usually start having second thoughts anytime I'm booked in a Holiday Inn, as the majority of their properties are older and nice to have things like a fridge/microwave are an afterthought.

The room size is ok for a standard room, but the bathroom is tiny to say the least. Not much storage space for towels, etc either. The place sure could use some modernization. I never really had any issues with stale/musty odors as some others did, but you get the feeling you're in an older location immediately after passing through the lobby. The elevators are quick and parking is aplenty on all four sides of the building. One thing this place is missing though is trash cans. There's one out front and one in the rear and that's it. You know something's up when walking down the hallways seeing pizza & food boxes along the walls. You'd think a few extra bucks could be spent on trash cans inside (or outside) the building , but apparently they don't think so.

I never ate at the downstairs restaurant, but rarely saw anyone there except for Saturday or Sundays. There's plenty of places to eat within walking distance of the hotel which might explain the lack of folks eating inside the hotel. They remove the coffee across from the breakfast area at the same time they shut breakfast down, so if you're looking for coffee at any time other than mornings, you're out of luck unless you want to make it yourself in the room. Another thing I've noticed with Holiday Inns.....very few have coffee in the lobby available 24/7.

I was on the end of the building closest to the interstate on the top floor and it was barely noticeable. It seemed as though a passing motorcycle or truck on the street out front was louder. Overall not the worst place I've stayed in, but these older Holiday Inns seem to be frequenting my travel itineraries more and more much to my chagrin. A day or two and you'll be ok here.....anything longer pay a bit more if you have to and look elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Great team. I stayed here during January 2012 and was most impressed with the friendliness, professionallism and helpfulness of the front desk and restaurant staff. Little things were done to make me feel appreciated as a guest.

Heater ran incessantly at night and room became too warm due to (??) issue w thermostat.

Would return there.

• Stayed January 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Covington
Courtyard Cincinnati Covington
Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY)
Cincinnati Marriott at RiverCenter
Radisson Hotel Cincinnati Riverfront
Hotel Covington Cincinnati Riverfront
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport / Cincinnati

Been to Holiday Inn Cincinnati Riverfront? Share your experiences!