“Ok hotel but good location and service”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY)
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Covington
West Lafayette, IN
“Ok hotel but good location and service”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed here two nights for a weekend getaway, and this property seemed like the best option because of location and amenities. The service was friendly, and the hotel does have a good location.

If you're lucky enough or willing to pay enough for a view, it's nice to see the river and the Cincinnati skyline. However, we expected more given cost and the Embassy Suites brand, which is supposed to be more upscale than other Hilton brands like Hampton or Hilton Garden Inn. Other than more space set up as a suite, I don't think this property offered anything more than Hampton or Hilton Garden Inn, and I think HGI actually has nicer facilities for better prices.

The room was a little worn down, and the property was so noisy. During one of our two nights, the property was packed with families, and some unchaperoned children woke us up in the wee hours. We could hear doors slamming and children running way past anyone's bed time, and we had to call to complain.

Breakfast was impossible to get as the lines were so long. The cooked-to-order breakfast was actually a standard breakfast buffet with the only cooked-to-order option being eggs. I expected sit-down, restaurant service--not a buffet that was no better than at Hampton Inn and no place to eat except back in our room. The manager's reception was also disappointing, with hordes of people fighting over a few pretzel sticks.

This was our first time staying at an Embassy Suites, and we splurged because it was a much-needed getaway. But for the price we paid, the experience should have been better, and had I know the property was nothing special, I would have stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
embassyrc, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY), responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. While we are very happy that you chose our hotel for your recent stay and that you found our service to be friendly along with our conveniently location, I am sorry that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay.

I truly apologize if you found our hotel to be somewhat dated, noise and that you had wait in line for our breakfast. Our main concern is for all our guests to experience an exceptional stay and I sincerely apologize if we were not able to deliver this for you. Our guests’ satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. With this said, I will assure you that I will take your comments into consideration to improve our operation.

Please accept my sincere apologies and I hope that next time you are in town; you consider staying with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The hotel location is perfect if you're visiting Cincinnati. It's a short walk across the bridge or a quick cab ride to get to the city.

I love First Watch restaurants for breakfast so having one right next to the entrance was great!

The room was great! Very large and clean. The hotel staff were excellent and very helpful. Checking in and out was very easy. We really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: We had a corner room. The room was very large and was very quiet even though for some reason there w...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
embassyrc, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY), responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for the positive remarks regarding your recent stay! It's great to hear from guests such as you and I'm glad that you and your guest had a safe and enjoyable stay! Keep us in mind should your future travels include Greater Cincinnati or Northern Kentucky...we'd love to see you again in the future!
Midwest
Reviewed March 12, 2013

2 night stay Fri Mar. 8 & Sat Mar. 9 room #710

Friday night was awful. Hotel was packed with kids for nearby convention. It was so noisy coming from the lobby until well after 11 pm combined with the sounds of kids yelling & running up and down the halls. My daughter sleeping on sofa bed was up all night. We put bath towels at the base of the door in an attempt to mask the noise, but made no difference. Was a brutal night, with little sleep, only to have just as bad of experience at breakfast the following morning. The line for breakfast was wrapped around the entire atrium area. Travelling with 2 young kids who wanted breakfast, after a long night of no sleep... that's about the last thing we wanted to see!

No hot water for showers or baths.

TV kept losing channels- not sure if it was the tv or the cable provider.. but lost track of how many times daughter said "fix the tv please".

Requested baby crib for room upon arrival... was not there. After having to ask front desk 2 times, it finally arrived. Front desk not friendly at all.

Happy hour was nice, bar staff friendly.

Front door men friendly as well.

Overall, would not reccomend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bk24
embassyrc, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY), responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you so much for your receipt review. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I understand that you were disappointed with some issues at our hotel. and I sincerely apologize if the noise from the other groups in the hotel was disruptive for you and your family. Frankly, we did not receive the level of cooperation from the parents that brought the children which only made our job more difficult. It is through feedback such as yours that we evaluate ourselves and identify the areas where we can improve. I can assure you that your feedback has been taken into consideration and that we are actively looking at different options to increase both our level of security staff along with our management presence . Our main priority is for the satisfaction of our guests and I assure you that I will definitely take your comments into consideration to improve our hotel.

I thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel. Please send me an email letting me know who you are (gm@embassyrc.com), as I would be happy to arrange for compensation for the experience you encountered. I do hope that if your future travels find you in Northern Kentucky, you consider staying with us again.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I arrived ~7:15pm on a Friday, very tired from a long driving trip. We went to bed ~9pm, but couldn't sleep due to the hundreds of kids running around the hallways, yelling, jumping, etc. Was like having a rock band playing next door. Called the front desk twice, including talking to the manager. Still very noisy at 10:30pm, so called corporate guest services. We almost left (saw another couple leave while talking to corporate), but were too tired. Finally ~11:30, it was quiet. Then by 7am, the noise started again. Will never stay here again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pescokid
embassyrc, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY), responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you fo your honest and candid comments. It was very regretful that you encountered noisy guests during your recent visit. We did have extra staff and security on hand however select children along with their parents were less than cooperative. I have taken the liberty of issuing you a full refund for your visit (including parking). We value your comments and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that the noise from others has caused. Thank you again for bringing the matter to our attention. Know that we value having you and hope you would afford another opportunity to serve you in the future.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have stayed in several Embassy Suites. But for the location, I would consider this one less than average. But a river view makes this Embassy Suites quite nice. The location is great. It is directly next to the bridge which you can walk across to access downtown Cincinnati and the Stadium where the Bengals play. In fact, if you are visiting the Stadium or the Underground Railroad Museum, this location is better and closer in terms of walking distance to most, if not all, of the downtown hotels in Cincinnati. The breakfast in the seating area overlooking the river was nice as well. The actual food, however, was average at best. Also, the entrance is a bit annoying. You have to take an elevator upstairs to check in and then take another elevator to go to the rooms (instead of it all being on the same level). Despite it being a less than stellar Embassy Suites, I would likely stay at this location again if only because of its location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank nedradc
embassyrc, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY), responded to this review, March 1, 2013
First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I was glad to read from your review that you found our hotel to be conveniently located. Our main concern is for all our guests to have an exceptional stay. I do however; apologize if you found our breakfast to be sup-par. I can assure you that your satisfaction is our main concern and I have personally taken your comments into consideration to improve the quality and selection of our menu items. We always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected and I can assure you that your feedback will help us deliver this brand promise. Again, I apologize if you went through any inconveniences and I hope you give us another opportunity to serve you, should your future travels bring you back to our area. Please know that your business and loyalty is important to us and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered.
Columbus, OH
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Very good stay at Embassy Suites. Had a RiverView suite w/ the living area and was perfect for my wife and our 18-month old. Bed was comfortable and we had a great view of downtown Cincinnati. Had a microwave and refrigerator, which is nice when travelling with a toddler. We had reserved a crib, but it never showed- we called and they offered a pack n play for us...we passed because we brought our own just in case. Parking in the garage is not as big of a deal as others have written. Manager's reception with free drinks was really nice and breakfast in the morning was great- one of the better ones we've had. We grabbed food from the Buehle Street Deli and it was really good. Considering the hotel was pretty much booked for "Dance Force One", it was pretty quite and we had a relaxing and enjoyable time. We picked this hotel because of the suite price and decent location, and wanted to be close to the aquarium. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Any room on the north side would have a great view of downtown Cincinnati.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking a moment to share your comments concerning your recent stay at our hotel. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed yourselves and that we met or exceeded your expectations. We love to serve so should your future travels find you in the Northern Kentucky area, we once again welcome the opportunity to be of service to you and your family!
Someset, KY
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I've stayed at a number of Embassy Suites Hotels over the years. In fact, I stayed at this very one many years ago. Its exactly the same. The strangest thing about this hotel is its entrance and parking garage. The street entrance leads to a small foyer where you have to take an elevator up to the lobby. Not so convenient when you are packing luggage. The parking garage is a maze of floors with half floors in between the floors. It would be pretty easy to forget where you left you car.

The hotel is set-up as a square. All of the rooms are on the outside walls. In the center is an open atrium all the way to the top floor. Your room's door opens to the balcony railed walkway that goes all the way around each side of the square. The rooms are 'suite' oriented in that you have a front room with sofa bed, tv, desk small sink, microwave and small refrigerator. The second room is the bedroom and bath. The appointments are okay, but again, not what I'm use to seeing in most Embassy Suites.

Overall, this seems to be the same exact decor inside and out that they had when I was here nearly 10 years ago. The rooms seem that way too. I would say its time for an update. Yes I scored it 'average' overall, but for an Embassy Suites it should have easily been at least 'very good', and it was not. Hence, the title.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank de-oppresso-liber
embassyrc, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY), responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear de-opresso-liber, thank you for sharing your comments and constructive remarks regarding your recent stay. As you briefly mentioned, the hotel is situated over a parking facility (owned by the city of Covington). Due to the location being adjacent to the Ohio River, we also overlook the lower portion of the 100 year flood wall. For this reason, entry to the hotel is on the second level with check-in and registration one floor above that. I personally can understand the slight confusion in navigating from the parking to the entrance to the registration. For this reason we have added additional directional signage which was actually installed on February 16th, in response to guest comments such as yours. In addition, your comments concerning modernization and upgrades will be passed along to ownership for future renovation consideration. Know that we value having you and take every comment given into consideration. Should your future travels from Somerset KY find you in this area, we again welcome the opportunity to be of service to you!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Covington
Central Business District
Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY)

Property: Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY)
Address: 10 E Rivercenter Blvd, Covington, KY 41011-1508
Location: United States > Kentucky > Covington
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Restaurant Room Service Suites Wheelchair access
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Covington
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY) 3.5*
Downtown Cincinnati area's only Hilton branded all suite, full service hotel. Awarded "best room with a view" of downtown Cincinnati and Ohio Riverfront. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Embassy Suites Hotel Cincinnati