Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY)
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Covington
Westerville, Ohio
“Good but not great”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend wedding. Location is great for what we needed.
I wasn't impressed with the check in or out staff. They seemed as if they were being inconvenienced anytime there was a question.
The room was a decent size, considering the pictures on website are stretched making them appear bigger than they actually are. We did get the 2 room suite, so separate living and doored off king bed with water view. Was just over 600 sq feet..again though website pics made it look bigger. Couldn't imagine having a normal sized room after staying in the "larger" room.
Bathroom was decent size again smaller than expected. Shower was a bit dirty but we took care of it.
The bedroom was probably the most nicely kept in the room everything seemed crisp and clean and surprisingly the bed was very comfy!
Cosmetically the outside is nice. The inside makes you feel like you are perhaps surrounded by jail cells but with doors or like dorm living. Literally 8 floors of surrounding railings and doors. Somewhat dated, perhaps they've attempted to make updates that don't flow. Overall, wasn't horrible but I've stayed at better for same pricing. I'm not sure we would stay here again, there are other options.

• Stayed January 2013
embassyrc, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY), responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for your comments, both positive and constructive. I personally review all comments and believe that each one gives us the chance to improve our operation. Please be assured that your comments will be shared with my leadership team for improvement action. We know that you have many area hotels from which to choose and are grateful you selected our hotel. Should your future travels find you in the area, we would again welcome the chance to be of service to you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Newburgh
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My daughter and I just stayed one night for a gymnastics event we had across the street at the Convention Center, so the location was very convenient for us. The room was moderately clean, but the decor was nothing fancy. I did like the large counter in the bathroom because I usually have a lot of toiletries/make-up/hair electronics. The free breakfast buffet was not only one of the best I've seen, but it was also delicious. They had so much to choose from: omelets, scrambled eggs, pancakes, bacon, sausage, breakfast potatoes, oatmeal, yogurts, bagels, pastries, toast, fresh melons, apples, oranges, bananas, coffee, juices, soda, and water. The only complaint I would really have was the inconvenience of the layout of the hotel. When you drive up to the front door to check in, you have to take an elevator up to the lobby (which was not convenient for me as I left my young daughter in the car out front by herself). The elevator system seemed quite confusing to me. We parked our car ourselves in the attached parking garage but had to take one elevator up to the lobby and catch another around some corners to get up to our room. Then we had a difficult time the next morning figuring out how to get back to the parking garage because the elevator only took you to the lowest level or highest level of the parking garage. It all just was very confusing and seemed like a long haul when you are carrying your own baggage. Anyway, overall it was an average hotel but I would probably not stay again just based on the inconvenience of the layout.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
embassyrc, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY), responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about our hotel and for choosing to stay with us during your daughters’ gymnastic event. I was glad to read from your review that we were conveniently located to the NKY Convention Center and you enjoyed our breakfast buffet. I do however apologize if you found our layout to be somewhat confusing. Your feedback is very important to us and I can assure you that I will be reviewing your recommendations to improve our hotel.

Again, I truly regret any inconveniences you experienced and hope that you allow us another opportunity to again be of service to you and your family in the future!
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed January 22, 2013

friendly staff...nice extras breakfast evening reception and pool area. shower head and water pressure was great dont find that in all hotels. cab ride to downtown cincy area little over 5 bucks...as well as there is a trolly that goes quite some distance for a dollar a person.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tara G
Thank you for sharing your experience during your recent stay at the Embassy Suites RiverCenter. I'm happy to hear that you and "the girls" had a fun and enjoyable weekend away! Think of us again should your future getaway weekends again include the Greater Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area!
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We just spent a getaway weekend with long-time friends over this MLK holiday weekend. Purpose: relax, chat, eat snacks, take advantage of the evening lobby reception, dinner somewhere, then get a great omelet and buffet breakfast in the morning. Our group score: B+. Some of us can't get full value from the drinks and breakfasts, as could be done just a few years ago. Well; we'll keep trying.

Check-in was prompt and all seven rooms were ready at our 3pm arrival, all on the same floor and in close proximity. Good start - except that some of the card keys did not work, or worked sporadically. Several card keys needed to be taken back to the front desk to be reprogrammed.

Embassy Suites was packed Saturday night. All lobby tables filled very quickly at reception start time. Lines formed for drinks, 2-3 people wide, and 8-10 deep - and stayed that way for the entire reception time. One of the bartenders was apparently inexperienced and mixed drinks incorrectly. One example: a manhattan using dry vermouth. In fairness, she was slammed with drink requests solidly for two hours.

Rooms were fine, mostly clean (one major room exception). One of the rooms we had offered a larger space for a meeting room, perfect for us to set out snacks and drinks, play word games, watch some football, and just hang out together.

Breakfasts and the omelets were outstanding The Monday omelet chef was a simply delightful, personality-laden woman who radiates a love for people as well as a love of her job. She turned down several offers of hire as full-time breakfast fixer at our homes, as none of us reside in warm-enough climates.

Covington and the adjacent communities of Newport and Bellevue Kentucky, plus downtown Cincinnati, all offer numerous restaurant, museum, sight-seeing, parks, entertainment and other activities, for families, couples and groups. The Embassy Suites location makes it convenient for any and all.

Just one side note - regarding the crowded conditions Saturday night in the lobby. There was a gymnastics meet at the Northern Kentucky Convention Center, across the street from the Embassy suites. Families, families, families. Kids galore and more kids. I had visions of pandemonium in the hallways late into the night. Nothing. Simply the nicest, sweetest, best-behaved, best-groomed, and most polite young people and parents that you could imagine.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your remarks and comments regarding your recent visit to this Embassy Suites hotel. We recognize you have many hotels from which to choose and appreciate you staying with us! I will pass your remarks regarding the complimentary bar staff to my Food and Beverage leadership team. We appreciate hearing that our staff perhaps could use some additional training and will take your comments to heart. Again, thank you for selecting our hotel. We look forward to serving you again in the future!
Virginia
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I've stayed at other Embassy Suites properties and usually like this chain for the large rooms (separate liviing area) and manager's reception/ full breakfast which are included in the room price. I was a bit disappointed this time. The hotel in general, including the rooms, were dated and not as clean as other Embassy's I've stayed. The food in the Manager's Reception was trashy and not well maintained. They only offered cheese spreads and crackers - I am used to seeing a larger variety of foods during the reception. One night I ordered room service - salad and sandwich. It was average. The salad was loaded with dressing and greens were wilted. On a postivie note, staff were pleasant and the property is conveniently located just across the river from downtown Cinicinnati. For the price, however, I thought the experience was disappointing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Shen_Valley_3
embassyrc, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY), responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I was glad to read from your comments that you found our staff to be pleasant and that we were conveniently located. Our primary focus is to provide an exceptional level of service and I am happy that we were able to deliver this to you. I do however understand that you thought our property was somewhat dated. I sincerely appreciate your feedback and I can assure you that we are taking your comments into consideration to improve our property. Our main priority is for our guests to leave our property with a good impression and truly apologize that we could not deliver this for you. I do hope the next time you return to the Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati area you consider staying with us again.
Wadsworth, Ohio
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I took my wife here this weekend for a romantic stay. It was not romantic. This hotel is seriously dated. It was so noisy. We could hear everything going on in the hall from within the bedroom area of our suite. The bed was pretty uncomfortable. I also do not like turning on the television and immediately seeing an "Adult Movies" advertisement as the first channel. Come on now. This is the last time I stay at any Embassy Suites, as the last few have been very disappointing. The breakfast was terrible too.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jdoz22
embassyrc, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY), responded to this review, January 22, 2013
First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I wanted to take this opportunity to apologize if you found our hotel to be somewhat dated. In addition, I truly regret the noise you encountered during your stay. I am very sorry that you and your wife were disrupted by noises outside your room and that we are not able to deliver the romantic getaway you expected to receive from us. I assure you that our guests comfort is our main concern and I have discussed your concerns with our security team to make sure this does not happen again. Again, I do apologize for any inconveniences you may have had and I hope the next time you return to the area you consider staying with us again.
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Because of a past experience at an unrelated hotel, we learned the bedbug signs and even had our house inspected. Dodson found no evidence of bedbugs and completed our precautionary extermination paid for by this other hotel. I researched hotels in the Cincinnati area for 2 weeks before booking our room here even though there was a recent post (12/26) on bedbugregistry.com. We checked in, made sure our little one stood in the main area as we pulled the beds apart. We saw nothing until we picked up the boxspring and saw a mature bedbug run down the inside of the bedframe. We gathered the bug and took it down to the front desk with our belongings. We were offered a free stay at another hotel (we have received nothing yet), and were told that we would not be charged.

They assured me that they do not have a problem, based on everything that I have read, this was a mature bug...they DO have a problem. We were also told that this comes from international travelers. This appears to be the main excuse for every hotel as if it's a canned response (the unrelated hotel said the same thing).

After an 8 hour drive in the 40 degree pouring down rain, the last thing we wanted to do was pack the car again and go to another hotel. Thankfully the SpringHill Suites in Florence was clean and BedBug free.

The next day, a pending transaction went through my bank account, so the charge was going through, I'm not familar with their accounting process, but I would expect that if I was in the room for 5 minutes, a transaction shouldn't have been sent.

The next day I talked to Debbie about the charge. Debbie was rude, short, and unfriendly. I explained my BB problem (Bedbug code for them) and she was not compassionate. My daughter was going in for a sedated MRI in the morning to make sure the cancer hasn't returned. Obviously the last thing I needed was for her to be eaten by bedbugs.

Also we found a Q-Tip wrapped up in our sheets... on the bed (hopefully it was clean - either way... we didnt stay)

RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH - look for the signs!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank cablanken
embassyrc, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY), responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Good Morning,

First of all, we appreciate you sharing your experience. Insects or Bed Bugs as you referred to is not a common problem that we experience at this hotel. Every single mention or comment is thoroughly investigated as we have a very aggressive inspection and preventative treatment plan in place. The presence of a Bed Bug is not pleasant and should not occur however upon you reporting the matter, your former suite was immediately removed from service and professionally inspected with negative findings. As a preventative measure, our pest control provider treated the suite and re-inspected again several days later with 100% negative findings again. We as humans are the vehicle which Bed Bugs use to move around. What you found may have been from a former guest however the inspection process, subsequent treatment and re-inspection assures us the incident was very isolated. I have brought this matter to the attention of my Front Office leadership as it sounds like the late night associate you encountered was not as friendly as she should have been. I can assure you she will be counseled and re-trained. Whether this incident was small or large, we remain committed to providing you with a safe and comfortable stay. I'm very sorry for this isolated incident and wish you and your family safe travels in your future journeys to the Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Covington
Central Business District
Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY)

Property: Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY)
Address: 10 E Rivercenter Blvd, Covington, KY 41011-1508
Location: United States > Kentucky > Covington
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Restaurant Room Service Suites Wheelchair access
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Covington
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY) 3.5*
Downtown Cincinnati area's only Hilton branded all suite, full service hotel. Awarded "best room with a view" of downtown Cincinnati and Ohio Riverfront. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Embassy Suites Hotel Cincinnati