“Always a relaxing stay at Embassy Suites - and plenty to do!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY)
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Covington
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We just spent a getaway weekend with long-time friends over this MLK holiday weekend. Purpose: relax, chat, eat snacks, take advantage of the evening lobby reception, dinner somewhere, then get a great omelet and buffet breakfast in the morning. Our group score: B+. Some of us can't get full value from the drinks and breakfasts, as could be done just a few years ago. Well; we'll keep trying.

Check-in was prompt and all seven rooms were ready at our 3pm arrival, all on the same floor and in close proximity. Good start - except that some of the card keys did not work, or worked sporadically. Several card keys needed to be taken back to the front desk to be reprogrammed.

Embassy Suites was packed Saturday night. All lobby tables filled very quickly at reception start time. Lines formed for drinks, 2-3 people wide, and 8-10 deep - and stayed that way for the entire reception time. One of the bartenders was apparently inexperienced and mixed drinks incorrectly. One example: a manhattan using dry vermouth. In fairness, she was slammed with drink requests solidly for two hours.

Rooms were fine, mostly clean (one major room exception). One of the rooms we had offered a larger space for a meeting room, perfect for us to set out snacks and drinks, play word games, watch some football, and just hang out together.

Breakfasts and the omelets were outstanding The Monday omelet chef was a simply delightful, personality-laden woman who radiates a love for people as well as a love of her job. She turned down several offers of hire as full-time breakfast fixer at our homes, as none of us reside in warm-enough climates.

Covington and the adjacent communities of Newport and Bellevue Kentucky, plus downtown Cincinnati, all offer numerous restaurant, museum, sight-seeing, parks, entertainment and other activities, for families, couples and groups. The Embassy Suites location makes it convenient for any and all.

Just one side note - regarding the crowded conditions Saturday night in the lobby. There was a gymnastics meet at the Northern Kentucky Convention Center, across the street from the Embassy suites. Families, families, families. Kids galore and more kids. I had visions of pandemonium in the hallways late into the night. Nothing. Simply the nicest, sweetest, best-behaved, best-groomed, and most polite young people and parents that you could imagine.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
embassyrc, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY), responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Thank you for your remarks and comments regarding your recent visit to this Embassy Suites hotel. We recognize you have many hotels from which to choose and appreciate you staying with us! I will pass your remarks regarding the complimentary bar staff to my Food and Beverage leadership team. We appreciate hearing that our staff perhaps could use some additional training and will take your comments to heart. Again, thank you for selecting our hotel. We look forward to serving you again in the future!

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I've stayed at other Embassy Suites properties and usually like this chain for the large rooms (separate liviing area) and manager's reception/ full breakfast which are included in the room price. I was a bit disappointed this time. The hotel in general, including the rooms, were dated and not as clean as other Embassy's I've stayed. The food in the Manager's Reception was trashy and not well maintained. They only offered cheese spreads and crackers - I am used to seeing a larger variety of foods during the reception. One night I ordered room service - salad and sandwich. It was average. The salad was loaded with dressing and greens were wilted. On a postivie note, staff were pleasant and the property is conveniently located just across the river from downtown Cinicinnati. For the price, however, I thought the experience was disappointing.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Shen_Valley_3
embassyrc, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY), responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I was glad to read from your comments that you found our staff to be pleasant and that we were conveniently located. Our primary focus is to provide an exceptional level of service and I am happy that we were able to deliver this to you. I do however understand that you thought our property was somewhat dated. I sincerely appreciate your feedback and I can assure you that we are taking your comments into consideration to improve our property. Our main priority is for our guests to leave our property with a good impression and truly apologize that we could not deliver this for you. I do hope the next time you return to the Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati area you consider staying with us again.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I took my wife here this weekend for a romantic stay. It was not romantic. This hotel is seriously dated. It was so noisy. We could hear everything going on in the hall from within the bedroom area of our suite. The bed was pretty uncomfortable. I also do not like turning on the television and immediately seeing an "Adult Movies" advertisement as the first channel. Come on now. This is the last time I stay at any Embassy Suites, as the last few have been very disappointing. The breakfast was terrible too.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jdoz22
embassyrc, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY), responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I wanted to take this opportunity to apologize if you found our hotel to be somewhat dated. In addition, I truly regret the noise you encountered during your stay. I am very sorry that you and your wife were disrupted by noises outside your room and that we are not able to deliver the romantic getaway you expected to receive from us. I assure you that our guests comfort is our main concern and I have discussed your concerns with our security team to make sure this does not happen again. Again, I do apologize for any inconveniences you may have had and I hope the next time you return to the area you consider staying with us again.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Because of a past experience at an unrelated hotel, we learned the bedbug signs and even had our house inspected. Dodson found no evidence of bedbugs and completed our precautionary extermination paid for by this other hotel. I researched hotels in the Cincinnati area for 2 weeks before booking our room here even though there was a recent post (12/26) on bedbugregistry.com. We checked in, made sure our little one stood in the main area as we pulled the beds apart. We saw nothing until we picked up the boxspring and saw a mature bedbug run down the inside of the bedframe. We gathered the bug and took it down to the front desk with our belongings. We were offered a free stay at another hotel (we have received nothing yet), and were told that we would not be charged.

They assured me that they do not have a problem, based on everything that I have read, this was a mature bug...they DO have a problem. We were also told that this comes from international travelers. This appears to be the main excuse for every hotel as if it's a canned response (the unrelated hotel said the same thing).

After an 8 hour drive in the 40 degree pouring down rain, the last thing we wanted to do was pack the car again and go to another hotel. Thankfully the SpringHill Suites in Florence was clean and BedBug free.

The next day, a pending transaction went through my bank account, so the charge was going through, I'm not familar with their accounting process, but I would expect that if I was in the room for 5 minutes, a transaction shouldn't have been sent.

The next day I talked to Debbie about the charge. Debbie was rude, short, and unfriendly. I explained my BB problem (Bedbug code for them) and she was not compassionate. My daughter was going in for a sedated MRI in the morning to make sure the cancer hasn't returned. Obviously the last thing I needed was for her to be eaten by bedbugs.

Also we found a Q-Tip wrapped up in our sheets... on the bed (hopefully it was clean - either way... we didnt stay)

RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH - look for the signs!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank cablanken
embassyrc, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY), responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Good Morning,

First of all, we appreciate you sharing your experience. Insects or Bed Bugs as you referred to is not a common problem that we experience at this hotel. Every single mention or comment is thoroughly investigated as we have a very aggressive inspection and preventative treatment plan in place. The presence of a Bed Bug is not pleasant and should not occur however upon you reporting the matter, your former suite was immediately removed from service and professionally inspected with negative findings. As a preventative measure, our pest control provider treated the suite and re-inspected again several days later with 100% negative findings again. We as humans are the vehicle which Bed Bugs use to move around. What you found may have been from a former guest however the inspection process, subsequent treatment and re-inspection assures us the incident was very isolated. I have brought this matter to the attention of my Front Office leadership as it sounds like the late night associate you encountered was not as friendly as she should have been. I can assure you she will be counseled and re-trained. Whether this incident was small or large, we remain committed to providing you with a safe and comfortable stay. I'm very sorry for this isolated incident and wish you and your family safe travels in your future journeys to the Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati area.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Clean room. Great location. But the real seller was customer service. It's been a long time since I stayed in a hotel that made more effort...from check in, to parking, room service, etc. Extremely courteous. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
embassyrc, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY), responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Thank you VERY much for the kind words regarding your recent stay! While we appreciate the remarks, I know other readers do as well as Trip Advisor is a very trusted source for both leisure and business travel recommendations. Keep us in mind if your future travel plans once again include Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati as we'd LOVE to serve you again in the future!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

A great hotel near downtown with solid service, helpful staff, a convenient location, and fast access to downtown Cincinnati. While I could have stayed at a number of hotel in downtown Cincinnati, I opted for the Embassy Suites Riverside and was pleasantly surprised. The staff are very helpful -- clearly focused on making sure customers are well cared for. Nice rooms - very clean and well maintained (nice beds as well).

Breakfast was good, but not as well prepared as other Embassy Suites or Hilton Garden Inns (limited selection). Staff were attentive and very helpful during breakfast. The manager's reception in the late afternoon is usually busy and includes a variety of snacks and complimentary beverages.

Room Tip: Tip: Ask for a river view if possible. You'll have a great view of downtown Cincinnati as a resu...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Donald D

Thank you very much for the positive comments you recently shared about your visit! It's great to hear that we met and exceeded your expectations! I've shared your comments regarding how you enjoyed breakfast with my staff as they appreciate hearing that their efforts were noticed. I will mention that we have recently upgraded our entire breakfast effort and I welcome you back to see the additional positive changes we have made! Thank you again for your comments. We look forward to serving you and your family again in the future!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying in the presidential suite. The room was pretty awesome. Opening the doors to see a baby grand piano was amazing! The view from the balcony (only room with a balcony) was incredible. Positives - Room size, piano, balcony, many comfy sitting areas, double vanity in full bath, half bath, king sized bed. Hotel staff was also very nice. Negatives - Room was not as clean as it could have been (debris on floor next to the wall between the closet and half bath, cobwebs over window cornice boxes, handprints on mirror behind piano, toilet in half bath had dirt (rust) under the rim, and the carpets could have been vacuumed better in bedroom); jetted tub as a nice feature however if was very outdated, hard to get in and out of, the three walls of mirrors made being in it a little uncomfortable, and the timer on the wall was very inconvenient.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for both your positive and constructive comments regarding your recent stay. I read and share every comment and suggestion with the hotel leadership team as this is how we learn and improve our hotel. We wish you a safe and enjoyable winter and welcome you back in the future or anytime your future travels find you in the Greater Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Covington
Cincinnati Marriott at RiverCenter
Holiday Inn Cincinnati Riverfront
Courtyard Cincinnati Covington
Hotel Covington Cincinnati Riverfront
Best Western Plus Cincinnati Riverfront Downtown Area
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport / Cincinnati

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY)

Address: 10 E Rivercenter Blvd, Covington, KY 41011-1508
Location: United States > Kentucky > Covington
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Restaurant Room Service Suites Wheelchair access
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Covington
Price Range: $137 - $245 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY) 3.5*
Downtown Cincinnati area's only Hilton branded all suite, full service hotel. Awarded "best room with a view" of downtown Cincinnati and Ohio Riverfront. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Embassy Suites by Hilton Cincinnati - RiverCenter (Covington, KY) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Embassy Suites Hotel Cincinnati