“Cash only ”

Herb & Thelma's Tavern
Ranked #20 of 150 Restaurants in Covington
Cuisines: American
Description: Herb N Thelma's Tavern was established in 1939 by Henry Boehmker as Heine's Tavern. Henry's Son and Daughter-in-law, Herb and Thelma kept the lights on after Henry. Herb and Thelma's Son, Chip took over the reins until his retirement. We are proud to carry on the Herb n Thelma tradition of serving the best Cheesburger and cold beer in Greater Cincinnati. You have to eat to believe.
Reviewed July 15, 2018 via mobile

Tiny place, but I loved it! I’ve only passed it a million times and have always wanted to go. I will definitely be back. They are very basic, but delicious! And love the drink selection. Definitely a cute little homey place to eat!

Reviewed March 26, 2018 via mobile

I travel a lot and always look for locally owned places like this, but this one is right in my Cincinnati back yard. We sat at the small bar and were immediately welcomed by Joe the owner. Burgers are a must. Locals recommended we try the picked eggs. Bags of chips are listed as an appetizer on the menu! Gotta love that. All food was cooked by Joe on a vintage flat top grill. No frills but a great place that we will definitely be regulars. (And you have to love the logo apron that was Velcro’d to the fridge behind the bar.)

Reviewed February 27, 2018

4 stars but only because it's a cash only business and I ordered and ate before I realized it! Oops! I later discovered they have an ATM. (Sigh)

Let just dive into this burger. No frills, high quality beef, pickle, onion, cheese and bun. No condiments necessary! It was like biting into a sponge made of delicious ground beef. Soft textured and dripping with deliciousness! I ate a double with bacon and could have eaten another one. Definitely on the "best burger" list. Even on the walk up folks were friendly and greeted us setting the tempo of the overall experience.

The space is such a throwback. Classic rock music , baseball paraphernalia and a pinball machine. It's not a fancy place and seems like a salt of the earth type of vibe with occasional pedestrian traffic from people like me..

I'm not sure what Herb or Thelma is but they have a bangin' burger!

Not so humbly submitted,
Michael C.

Reviewed December 12, 2017

My wife and I took our 3 kids to Herb & Thelma's on Sunday. What a great spot! Our bartender Rick couldn't have been nicer, as he toggled back and forth between the bar and the grill with ease. One of the better burgers that I've ever had along with some cool Cincinnati beer on tap, Hudepohl and Weihenstephaner. To top it off, I got to watch a rare Chicago Bears win over the Cincinnati Bengals on t.v. Pinch me, I must be dreaming!

I plan to go back to Cincinnati with my brother this summer to watch a Reds game. We will definitely make a stop at Herb & Thelma's!

Reviewed August 28, 2017

This is a fun tavern. be for warned their is no flashy stuff here. Just cold beer and food made right in front of you. Not a lot of sunlight gets in here so it is definitely not for everyone. I recommend it as it is a real tavern with nice people running it.