“Herb & Thelma's Old school cool!”

Herb & Thelma's Tavern
Ranked #20 of 152 Restaurants in Covington
Cuisines: American
Description: Herb N Thelma's Tavern was established in 1939 by Henry Boehmker as Heine's Tavern. Henry's Son and Daughter-in-law, Herb and Thelma kept the lights on after Henry. Herb and Thelma's Son, Chip took over the reins until his retirement. We are proud to carry on the Herb n Thelma tradition of serving the best Cheesburger and cold beer in Greater Cincinnati. You have to eat to believe.
Reviewed December 12, 2017

My wife and I took our 3 kids to Herb & Thelma's on Sunday. What a great spot! Our bartender Rick couldn't have been nicer, as he toggled back and forth between the bar and the grill with ease. One of the better burgers that I've ever had along with some cool Cincinnati beer on tap, Hudepohl and Weihenstephaner. To top it off, I got to watch a rare Chicago Bears win over the Cincinnati Bengals on t.v. Pinch me, I must be dreaming!

I plan to go back to Cincinnati with my brother this summer to watch a Reds game. We will definitely make a stop at Herb & Thelma's!

Reviewed August 28, 2017

This is a fun tavern. be for warned their is no flashy stuff here. Just cold beer and food made right in front of you. Not a lot of sunlight gets in here so it is definitely not for everyone. I recommend it as it is a real tavern with nice people running it.

Reviewed June 6, 2017

Step back in time. This tavern is a delight I felt like I had stepped into the 1940`s.
Cash only the way it use to be. The food is made right there behind the bar. You will love this daring little place. The hamburgers are great . Plain simple food that will bring you back in time.

Reviewed March 21, 2017

This Tavern, and believe me, that is the correct term, is a delightful wallow in nostalgia for anyone who has ever frequented a dive bar over a long period of time and learned to appreciate its charms.

Herb and Thelma's looks exactly like places I wished I could get into in the 50s but wasn't old enough. There are two small rooms, the front room has small 4-top tables and a bar with stools. When we were there one of their regulars was perched on his favorite bar stool and helped us with suggestions for what to eat as well as handing us items from behind the bar and refilling our water glasses.

The food is the very basics of Tavern Cuisine, almost entirely cooked when ordered on a griddle directly behind the bar. Absent a deep fryer, the fish for the fish sandwich had to be grilled rather than fried so needless to say, it was far moister and not covered in the usual camouflage of bread crumbs. I had mine on rye bread, which I highly recommend.

Diet coke came in a can, and without the fryer they have a variety of "dirty chips" to choose from.

When it came time to pay the bill I went to Joe Fessler, the proprietor, cook and all-round charmer, and asked if he took any plastic although I had a pretty good idea what the answer would be. This is a cash only place but who cares when the prices are from 60 years ago.

If you find yourself in this area, and want a quick lunch within a couple blocks of Interstate 71/75, do not miss Herb and Thelma's. The food is just what you want in a dive bar and the characters, including the delightful Joe, are as good as it gets.

2  Thank pyrprshr
Reviewed February 22, 2017

Purely a great burger, no frills , friendly atmosphere, ranks right up there with Quatman's Cafe in Norwood. Parking is a little tight but worth the effort.

1  Thank sunnygma