“very disappointed!”

Cuisines: American, German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We were hoping for a good German meal and left very disappointed. I had their sauerbraten and my wife had wienerschnitzel. We started with hot slaw. It was probably the best part of the meal excpet no bacon?? NO BACON??? I've never had hot slaw without some bacon crumbles on top. My sauerbraten was terrible. Thinly sliced roast beef, luke warm with some awful gravy... nothing even faintly resembling sauerbraten. My poor german Grandmother had to be turning over in her grave. And the dumplings that came with it were tasteless dough balls. My wife's entree was OK, the potato pancake that came with it was as bad as my dumplings... how does a German restaurant screw up a potato pancake?? We won't be back!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

This used to be our go-to German restarant in the Cincy area. Went back on Opening Day (i.e. the Reds first home game of the year--which is a serious holiday in Cincinatti) for the first time in a few years. The place was about as i remember, but the food was not quite as good as it used to be. It was hot and filling but the sauces left something to be desired--more bland than anything and looked a lot like the goulash, oddly enough. My dining companion ordered the goulash, for which they were well known once, looked different--more like a gravy than soup. He had no complains though. I had the Gypsy Schnitzel with potato panckakes. They were just ok. The red cabbage was quite good. So was the hot bacon dressing for the salad. Our server was very nice and prompt with our order, but the place was pretty empty--at noon. We may go back, but for my money the Hofbrauhaus in neighboring Newport is more authentic. That wasn;t always the case. Not bad--but now average.

1  Thank kgilbert78
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Went on a Monday night and, except for two friends of the owner, I was the only customer. My meal was unremarkable although I thought the hot slaw was pretty good and the potato pancake was disappointing. May return to try the Rueben sandwich.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

German beer, food and service.
Best salad I've had in a long time- Hot Slaw.
Beers for all tastes, and desserts that will leave you happy.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I grew up in Germany, love German food. The waitress was very gruff but did serve in a timely fashion. I ordered Roloude - the meat was like shoe leather, the gravy was like paste, the filling was unknown and there was no taste. This was the best part of the meal.