“Just remember - you're there for the falls and the view, not the room and the restaurant.”

Cumberland Falls State Resort - Dupont Lodge
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Corbin
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed March 31, 2011

Just remember - you're there for the falls and the view, not the room. Our non-smoking room smelled heavily of smoke. The restaurant is no frills, but has a great view and served the best catfish and country ham I've ever had.

Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank The-Penguini

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed October 25, 2010

We reserved two Woodland rooms over the "moonbow" weekend - got in late in the afternoon on a Friday and had the first woodland "duplex" nearest the lodge, and the traffic. The Woodland room set up worked great for our family. Two parents in the one queen room, with the two teens in the connecting 2 dbls room with their own bathroom, refrig and TV. The queen room felt very spacious (or maybe it was because it was so sparsely decorated - it only had the basic bedroom furniture and two chairs). Could have easily fit a couch or even sleeper sofa in the room. The two doubles room was quite a bit smaller than the queen, but similar size to what you'd get in some mid-range hotels. Each room had it's own mini-refrig, microwave and wet bar. We'd brought along plenty of sandwiches, breakfast food, and snacks and drinks for hiking and relaxing in the evening. The rooms were fairly clean, although they definitely could have used a paint job, and a good carpet cleaning. And perhaps more than one thin little pillow per person. I travel with a mini sound machine usually to drown out the constant on/off of the room A/C heater unit and I'm glad I had it along, b/c there was a lot of traffic noise outside our room as well.

Ate dinner one night at the restaurant. Only one of us had the buffet (note: the only one of us who hadn't checked the buffet out ahead of time). I don't think he got his money's worth, except for perhaps getting some salad greens to counter all the junk food we'd been eating in the rooms :). Although most of the wait staff seemed friendly, ours seemed a bit on-edge. Even one of the boys remarked that "the waitress sure didn't seem like she was in a good mood". The restaurant was very crowded and it looked like they were also hosting some anniversary dinner in an adjoining room and maybe even a wedding reception across the way. The others in the group stuck with the basics: burgers and chicken strips and they all were fine.

The Eagle Falls trail was a good one, adequately steep enough for two teen boys and with enough viewpoints and vistas to make it worthwhile. We took 3 other trails - and perhaps we chose the "wrong" trails for what we were looking for (although the hotel staff couldn't seem to tell us anything about the trails) because they ended up being mostly through the woods (...at times I felt like I could have been in any "woodsy" state park, they didn't seem to take advantage of the natural beauty). We were disappointed that the Fire Tower was gated off, so you could not climb all the way to the top. I'm not sure why they advertise the tower on the park website, if you can't even go up to the top of it, to get at what should have been a spectacular view of the surrounding area, full of fall colors.

And the moonbow ... how do I say this? Around our family we now call it the "mist bow" - because that's what you see. Those with great cameras actually could get some color, but with our "not exactly cheap" camera, we could not. And as others have said, it was extremely crowded, people of all ages, babies crying, kids running around, and busloads of seniors. We expected that part of it, given what we'd read out on this site, and none of that really bothered us. But while the Falls themselves are amazing, the moonbow itself seemed a bit "underwhelming", given all the talk about it.

All in all, I'd call this an okay to good trip, mostly because of the Woodland room set up. I think if we'd have been in the Lodge, and had the noise that others reported and the tight quarters, I'm not sure we would have ended up staying the two nights. (Like most park lodging, after dark, there really isn't much to do other than hang out in the room - the baseball playoffs saved us both nights) For hiking, the trails could be strenuous at times, but they were not the most spectacular in terms of scenic vistas, compared to what we've experienced elsewhere in the region. And if you're coming for the moonbow, just be sure you know what you're going to see (and what you won't :-).

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank JBadgers1
Fishers, Indiana
Reviewed October 19, 2010

Stayed in early October and both plus and minuses. We've stayed in a lot of very nice hotels all over the country, and have also taken many simple state park type trips like this as well. First, the park itself is beautiful, had a lot of great hikes and it wasn't too busy (not moonbow time). The lodge has a beautiful view overlooking the river. Unfortunately, the view was the only good thing about the restaurant. We were somewhat apprehensive after reading tripadvisor reviews, and probably should have ordered off the menu, but got the buffet the first night we were there because we were hungry and tired. It was hands down the worst food I have ever eaten at a restaurant in as long as I can remember. My dad is a human garbage disposal, and even he couldn't stomach it. Stayed at Dale Hollow last year which was way better. I am not a picky eater, but unless you like old salad heavy on the mayo, diseased looking chicken, and other unrecognizable side dishes (also heavy on the mayo & sour cream), don't eat here. My dad thought the catfish was okay at best. The only good thing about it was the carrot cake, we could all agree. Unfortunately, you have to drive 30 minutes into Corbin for any other food option. 2nd day we ate at Dino's for lunch which was great and brought home pasta to go for dinner, worked out well. Also cost less, lodge restaurant was around $14 per adult total.

We stayed in one of the 2 bedroom cabins. Was pretty much what I expected, which was bare bones state park style. It was quite spacious and also pretty clean, which was what we were hoping for. Someone needs to turn the water tempature up (cabin 505, in case anyone from the park is reading this) as all our showers were warm but not quite warm enough, if you know what I mean. Overall had seen a lot of wear and tear over the years, but worked fine for our purposes. I guess you are paying for the location in the park, because you could rent a much nicer cabin in the smokies for the $200 a night we paid. It is nice being able to walk out your door and be off, though.

Didn't have too much contact with the front desk but they were fine. They did send someone out to the cabin to replace 2 light bulbs rather than just giving them to us, I guess they though we might be light bulb thieves . . . lol.

Overall liked the park and would come back only because the park itself was so nice, but will never eat in the restaurant again.

Oh, and by the way, AT&T doesn't work anywhere in the park except a random spot up by the horse stables.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Tripper096
Reviewed October 15, 2010

I came here for my friends wedding. We supposedly got a deal because we had a whole wedding party. $110 a night for a dirty lodge room with two ancient queen beds were not expected. The rooms are tiny. The furnitue and televisions are really old. There were open rotted out waterdamaged ceiling tiles in the bathroom. There were open unsealed cracks and crevices around the bathrooms bathtub, floors, and open cracks in the wall where bugs of various sorta were coming through. Upon arrival the bathroom had little hairs all over the floor, toilet, and bathtub. There was a dried shriveled little worm next to the toilet. A live spider on the wall and a cricket in the bathtub. I cannot believe the price, condition, and cleanliness of this place. Worth $25 a night! Not $110!

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank BaladiLover

Travelers are raving about these Corbin hotels

Dayton
Reviewed October 11, 2010

The staff was rude, old, fat, and mean.... they landed their gov't job what do you expect. We were treated as pests rather than guests. First night a Friday... the all special seafood night buffet... BS $17 for fried shrimp and clams... the salad bar is ok. We asked for a window table, three open, and was told that the waitress was to busy... to see her later at said window with loser BF. Unless you agree you can't screw up breakfast or have swore off salt/flavor don't eat here.

Our room was a smoker's room with no ashtray. The view was of the HVAC system. As best as I could tell there are 3 rooms with a decent view. The other 55 or so stare into the hvac, parking lot, overgrown saplings. Oh I, forgot to mention the water damaged plaster/drywall in the dining rooms/guest rooms. On a plus note the water is really, really soft.

I found this state park years ago with a girlfriend at the time camping... Took my current wife to be camping to see the moonbow (don't walk there), and went back thinking the lodge would be all that.... avg low this weekend around 45-55... no lodge fire at night. In case I have not been blunt enough the staff SUCKS... I'm guessing they are gov't employees with promised pensions.

The local restaurants were awesome, they are fighting for business without such a prime location. The Diner on Main ($70 for 2) and El Dorado (sp) ($25 for 2) Mexican had excellent food and superior service. The lodge Friday night buffet was $40 for 2 and I could have done better at LJS for under $15.

I am an exterminator by trade and checked the room for bed bugs, none to be found. There was a catapillar in the bathroom, he was cute and kinda fast but no bother. But the quality of mattress kinda lacked as well as flip and rotation records as are normally found on hotel beds. My wife commented on the creases in the mattress.

I would recommend the lodge to the elderly and those looking for a wedding location. The state park and hikes nearby to all those who are still willing to camp out.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank histrohistro
Bristol, Virginia
Reviewed September 27, 2010

I had a group of 42 at the Riverview Restaurant on 26 Sep 2010 for a buffet lunch. Unlike some of the previous reviewers all of our guys thought the food to be well prepared and appetizing and the service to be exceptional. Wait staff were very pleasant and affable with us. Not always an easy task when dealing with a herd of hungry seniors (I'm one myself). Overlook of the river makes for a great setting. Given our experience I wouldn't hesitate to bring another group here.

Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank BAP65
mt. prospect
Reviewed September 7, 2010

Spent Labor Day weekend 2010 at Cumberland Falls. We stayed in the lodge. The lodge looked exactly like we hoped it would. A big stone and cedar building with lots of gables in a beautiful forest setting. It has a huge fireplace, and a patio with a magnificent view overlooking the river and surrounding hills. A great place for a wine and cheese party at sunset. The staff at the desk was very friendly and helpful during our check-in and throughout our stay. The halls and stairways are somewhat narrow as noted in other reviews, but so what ? The rooms were comfortable and clean. We were on the top floor and not bothered by any hallway noise. We ate dinner one night in the dining room and again ,contrary to some other reviews, we found the staff in the dining room friendly, courteous, and attentive. The food was good. Especially the catfish(it really was !!!) , and the Kentucky Hot Plate. The falls themselves are awesome. We spent 1 day whitewater rafting in the park and being able to paddle right up to the base of the falls is not to be missed. The river had several class III rapids. I would have liked a little bigger water but my 83 year old mother was with us and found this to be thrilling enough. My 20 something kids also found the rafting experience to be a lot of fun...a great day. Near by in Parker's Lake is Natural Arch with a great overlook and a 1 mile loop trail to the base of the arch, and also the very first original Col Sanders KFC cafe in Corbin. (How can you not visit such a piece of Americana ???) Looking for a great place to spend a long weekend in the out of doors in a magnificent setting ? This is it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank reeset
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corbin
Baymont Inn & Suites Corbin
Cumberland Inn and Museum
#2 of 4 in Williamsburg
Holiday Inn Express Corbin
Best Western Corbin Inn

Been to Cumberland Falls State Resort - Dupont Lodge? Share your experiences!