“Nice view, but that is about all to this restaurant......”

Cumberland Falls State Resort - Dupont Lodge
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Corbin
Bay City, Michigan
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,383 helpful votes
“Nice view, but that is about all to this restaurant......”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2007

We ate here recently on our visit to the Cumberland Falls State Resort Park in Corbin, KY. The restaurant is located in the Dupont Lodge, a historical hotel complex in the state park. The hotel is lovely, and the restaurant has lovely views of the Cumberland River. There is a nice patio/deck outside, but I don't know if they serve meals out there. One of us had the Saturday night buffet, and 2 of us had a pasta dinner. All were okay, nothing to give a good comment about however. There was a dead fly in DH's iced tea glass, at the bottom, which was not noticed til late in the drink-lol. A yellow jacket accompanied the arrival of my pasta, and the waitress was afraid of it and back away, where as DH had to get up and kill it, which drew a number of eyes towards our table-again lol. I thought at this point the waitress would have offered us a dessert, or had a manager come by our table, or not charged my DH for his meal, but no, she refilled his iced tea in another glass and said sorry, once, very quietly. She did not show herself much, and we had to ask for the check, twice. None of the restaurant staff was that friendly, so I would not bother coming back again to eat, though again, the lodge is an enjoyable place to stay.

3 Thank tymetraveler222

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Western Ky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2007

My husband and I decided after 22 years of marriage and no honeymoon that it was time now that the kids are grown to get away. He asked me where I wanted to go and I told him I would love to see a waterfall. The rest is history. We passed the Dupont Lodge by the first time because we were sure it was not in our budget. On the second pass we decided to stop. We went in an inquired about the cost of a room. When the lady behind the counter quoted the price we thanked her and were going to disappointedly leave. She said wait, maybe I can do better. Better she did and we got to stay. My husband went to sign the receipt and realized he didn't have his glasses. The sweet woman behind the counter took hers off and handed them to him with a smile. What awesome service! Our room was spacious and clean and the bed was very comfortable and the bedding was spotless. The dining area offers a wonderful view of the river and varied wildlife right outside the window. This is an awesome place to stay and I would recommend it to any and everyone!!!! I will never forget it.

• Liked — Cleanliness friendliness
  • Disliked — food could have been better
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kypam
Frankfort, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2007

We stayed in one of the Woodland rooms after checking with the Park the morning we were supposed to leave and found out they had a cancellation. The Woodland rooms are nice and are actually a duplex type building. Each "side" of the duplex has its own little porch and a city park type charcoal grill close by. Most of the Woodland rooms I saw close to us also had a picnic table near the grill. We used the grill the first night we arrived to cook some hamburgers and hotdogs and it worked well. However, in order to use the grill I had to jump a 4 foot fence/railing used to get you down the steps to the front door.

The Room was clean as a whistle everywhere. I was impressed that the rooms were as clean as they were considering the building is very old. The bed was really comfortable and we slept really soundly the 2 nights we were there. The Woodland Rooms also have a small kitchen area with a fridge (a little bigger than a dorm type fridge) a microwave and a small coffee maker. It also had a couple of coffee cups and 2 glasses and a small sink with some dishwashing soap for doing th dishes. If you have one of these rooms make sure you bring everything you need if you want to cook. This includes knives and forks as there is NO silverware whatsoever.

I was not impressed with the dining room food or service in the lodge dining room. The food was OK but nothing to write home about and the buffet will cost you 13.00 about any time you eat there. Some of our family ate almost every meal in the dining room and ordered off the menu because the buffet did not look to good. The lodge and cabins were solf out and you have no other option but to eat at the lodge for meals unless you bring food or want to drive 30 minutes or so to Corbin to eat.

The pool was nice but was just a pool. Nothing much for the kids to do except just swim and splash each other. Reminds me of the way pools used to be 25 years ago. The park was nice but everything was really spread out. Cumberland Falls is a short 5 minute drive away down a mountain or you can take the "steps" down the side of the mountain from the lodge...but remember...you have to climb back up those "steps"!

We would stay here again but be much more prepared to fend for ourselves with food next time. If you want to stay in a Woodland Room or one of the bigger cottages plan your stay in advance as far as you can. This place stays booked when the kids are out of school.

Our family members that stayed in the lodge echoed some of the reviews I have read here...You can hear everything going on in the hallways. If somebody is having a conversation you will hear every word they say. Also the slamming of the doors seemed to go on all night. If you are a light sleeper you may want to take some ear plugs.

• Liked — The Wilderness
  • Disliked — Food in the dining room was ho hum
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank mcftlf
western KY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2007

We stayed one night at the dupont lodge and we LOVED it.It was VERY clean(VERY VERY clean bathrooms)and the beds slept wonderful.The food was good and the staff very friendly.It was a beautiful place with lots of flowers.We would love to come back again for a longer stay.

Stayed June 2007
2 Thank spellbound_7
Lexington, KY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2007

We married here on the overlook of the lodge and it was amazing. We stayed in the 'rustic cabin' and my husband stayed in the lodge the night before the wedding. We loved it. They have a beautiful lobby and sitting area right outside the lobby, the staff is so super nice and the location is amazing. The renovations were much needed on the lodge (I've been going since the '80s) and I have to say... GOOD JOB! We had family friends stay here and only heard how they were going to come back. The ones that stayed at the Eagle Falls Resort were jealous at our accomadations and mad they just didn't book with Cumberland Falls. We loved sitting on the deck of the cabin and the lodge and breathing in the summer air. My husband said the lodge room was nice and he loved that he could look out into the forest from the room and no one could see him. I have to repeat myself to say that the staff was wonderful! They were helpful and extremely nice to us and our guests. This is an amazing place to go to get away. I have been visiting since I was a wee little girl and will be returning until I'm an old granny.

• Liked — the incredible views and the great staff
  • Disliked — no cell phone signal (but phones in rooms)
  • Stayed June 2007
3 Thank Bohemian_wifey
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2007

Overview:
I stayed at the Cumberland Falls State Resort Lodge for 1 night earlier this month--April 2007.

First Impression:
The lodge is amazing!!!! You drive forever along this windy road through the woods and finally pull up to the grand circular driveway and see the beautiful lodge!!! It is a rustic lodge made of beautiful wood and quite charming. I was impressed immediately and couldn't wait to check in.

Location:
Although the lodge is off the beaten path, it is very easy to find. There are tons of signs telling you that you're heading in the right direction. It's in a peaceful, quiet and very safe area--you're surrounded by forest and nature. You're seconds from the Cumberland Falls, which were amazing, and several different wonderful hikes. Take advantage of these--they're spectacular. If you did want to head into town, it was about a 15 minute drive to the shops, restaurants, and movie theater in Corbin.

What's Nearby:
There are no adjacent restaurants, but down by the falls there is a gift shop and small visitor center. The lack of chain restaurants and shopping was refreshing--you truly could enjoy the natural setting.

Lobby:
Lobby was inviting and cozy, with a large fireplace burning and huge comfy couches. There was a small game room upstairs for little kids and a spacious game room adjacent to the lobby with couches, TV, board games, etc... for the older kids. Off of the lobby was a huge deck with chairs, to sit and enjoy the Cubmerland River views and trees.

Staff:
Staff were extremely friendly and helpful with suggestions for hikes and activities. They gave me maps and brochures, and answered all of my questions.

Check-in/Check-out:
Check-in was quick and efficient, no problems, as was check-out.

Room:
My non-smoking room up one floor from the main lobby. It was small but very quaint. Everything was super new and clean due to a recent renovation. I loved the comfortable furniture, the adorable lamps, the new bedding, and the great color scheme. The bathroom was small, too, but spotless and clean. I had large windows that opened to the forest and nature--absolutely amazing!!! I was able to open the windows, hear the river rushing by, the birds flying by, and squirrels running around. It was so peaceful to fall asleep to these comforting sounds.

Parking:
There's tons of free parking right in front of the lodge, you just had to get a parking pass.

Restaurant:
I had the buffet lunch and breakfast in the restaurant. Lunch was pretty good--it was only about $5 for the soup and salad bar. For a few bucks more you could do the full buffet. Thier breakfast buffet was about $8 and nothing special, but decent.

Price:
I paid about $71 for my room, which was a great price!!! It was worth it to enjoy the natural setting and charm of this rustic lodge. This was a unique and amazing experience, well worth the price.

Problems:
As mentioned in the earlier review, the doors did slam shut and you could hear every conversation in the hallways. But this didn't bother me too much. You may want to ask for a room at the end of the hallway if noise bothers you. I would have liked a free continental breakfast, as offered by most hotels these days, but that wasn't a big problem either. Lastly, they had no business center and my cell phone didn't work on the grounds, but hey you're enjoying the beauty of their natural setting so it was fine to have a break from those conveniences for a few days!!

Conclusion:
The was a welcome retreat from your roadside budget hotels and fast food restaurants, and the price was super affordable. I loved the fresh air, spectacular views of the river, forest, and waterfalls, and the invigorating hikes all around. If you're in this area of Kentucky, please don't miss out on a night or two at the Lodge, you will love it!!!

Please email me if you have any questions about the Cumberland Falls State Resort Lodge, JenPerna@aol.com.

• Liked — Amazing setting, unique accommodations, great price, natural beauty.
  • Disliked — Nothing--the overwhelming beauty could not be spoiled.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
9 Thank JenPerna
East Coast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2007

Had some business to attend to in this area and decided to use the state park as a 'home base'. A bit out of our way but the natural surroundings made it a nice respite and gave us a chance to clear our heads in the evenings. The park offers different price levels of accomodations. From camping, to the lodge rooms, to duplex style efficiencies, to stand alone cottages/cabins. We stayed at the lodge and had a very positive experience. The staff could not do enough to help us, the rooms were nicely updated and very clean. Two areas of concern. One is that the doors on the rooms are VERY heavy and SLAM shut if you do not guide them closed. Not condusive to anyone wanting
to go to bed early or sleep in. Although you cannot hear room to room, talking in the hallway is very clear, another noise factor. The second concern is the restaurant at the lodge. Chose the buffet rather then ordering off of the menu and found the fish to be cold and the vegetables overcooked and soggy. Recommend you order off the menu rather then chancing the rather pricey buffet. The park is home to 3 waterfalls, the widest being the most famous Cumberland Falls. Many trails to hike. Not an abundance of widelife but worth a visit for the beauty of the falls and the peaceful setting.

• Liked — History of the inn and falls
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank Giggy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corbin
Baymont Inn & Suites Corbin
Cumberland Inn and Museum
#2 of 4 in Williamsburg
Holiday Inn Express Corbin
BEST WESTERN Corbin Inn

Been to Cumberland Falls State Resort - Dupont Lodge? Share your experiences!