“Japanese drenched in sauce”

Yamato Japanese Steakhouse
Ranked #23 of 74 Restaurants in Corbin
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Northwest Indiana/Chicago
“Japanese drenched in sauce”
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

For Northerners accustomed to traditional Japanese steak houses, we were disappointed. It's not the usual hibachi place where you watch your chef cook; they do the hibachi grilling in the kitchen and run a heavy take-out business. Novel idea. The dining area is pleasant and modern. The food was not great though. It was all sweet and saucy or salty, similar to most southern food. We ordered the steak tips, shrimp, and chicken, all of which were drenched in a sweet sauce. The fried rice was rice drenched in soy sauce. The vegetables were a small portion. We ordered a sushi California roll which had warm rice and was bland in flavor. The salad was iceberg lettuce drenched in a sweet dressing. It reminded me of eating shopping mall Japanese in a nicer setting and paying more for it. The only beverages were Pepsi products or iced tea ... Not even lemonade or juices available. I suppose if you like sweet sauces good this is a nice alternative; however if you ate looking for the fresh, clean Asian/ Japanese flavors, you won't find them here. It wasnt awful, and we didn't get sick, but we sure were thirsty when we left.

• Visited August 2013

“The best!”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We live just a few cities away so we go here often! It is so good we have always had quick & efficient service! The prices are very reasonable to!

Visited May 2013
Middlesboro, Kentucky
“ONE WORD! Awesome!”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Ate there today! It was amazing. Loved watching the cook prepare our meal. the flavor was amazing. Would highly reccommend.

Visited September 2012
Corbin, Kentucky, United States
“My only regret is not eating here sooner”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I am a creature of habit and tend to stick to what I know is good. I regret not giving this place a chance sooner. My husband tried this place on one of our date nights. The atmosphere was nice, perfect for our date night, dimly lit and pleasantly decorated. The restaurant offered a great assortment of items from sushi to steak, to chicken. My husband and I each ordered the hibachi chicken. The meal comes with a clear soup, side salad and large portion of the hibachi chicken and rice. This was the best hibachi chicken I have ever eaten. Normally when I eat Asian cuisine I worry about my chicken being tough but every bite was perfect. The service was excellent. We were surprised that after such a great filling meal our check was only $24.00 including drinks and tax. Our waiter was very personable. We are already planning on going back for our next date night.

• Visited August 2012