“Cumberland Falls State Resort”

Cumberland Falls State Resort Park
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Corbin
More attraction details
Owner description: Called the Niagara of the South, this site offers breathtaking views, fishing and hiking.
Somerset, Kentucky
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Cumberland Falls State Resort”
Reviewed May 19, 2010

Beautiful scenery and a gracious waterfall in Southeastern Kentucky. Cumberland Falls is one of only a few places in the world that has the beautiful moonbow. a rare natural phenomenon. A must see.
I a constantly taking pictures throughout Kentucky and will continue to post my reviews here. You can also check out my website at www.kentuckyheir.wordpress.com

1 Thank KentuckyHeir

Ohio
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Camping at Cumberland Falls ? Think again”
Reviewed May 8, 2010

I agree with all the posts about what a beautiful park this is and the falls are awesome. I see most of these people stayed in cabins or at the lodge. If you are camping you need to be aware of a few things....especially if you have young children. First off, we have a smaller 5th wheel....26 ft and we didn't even fit in the campsites. This campground was probably built in the 50s and has not been updated. If you are in a pop up or tent camping you will fit, but you neighbors are very close. In fact they are so close you will be sharing an electric/ water outlet with them. We tried to maneuver in to a spot and it just was crazy. There is not enough room allotted to turn, back, etc. The sites are very uneven and leveling would have been a nightmare if in fact we ever got in the spot. We finally decide the best place to park was on the edge of the drive and run an extension cord to the box! Other campers who had pulled in before us came down to share their dilemmas upon arrival too! We are lucky it was a week day early in April, because if more campers were there we would have had to leave.

My second concern and the most important if you have children!!! Beware that many of these camp sites have little "extensions" on them and the extensions are actually the top of some cliffs! The extension are evidently used as campsites and have fire rings and tables, so it obviously is an invitation to use these areas. When I walked out on them I was shocked to see the drop offs. And I don't mean little drop offs! A fall off one of these could be fatal. I think the safety standards back in the 50s were much different than today ! We didn't have children with us, but I would not have had a moments rest if we did. And to make it worse, these are within a stones throw of the small outdated playground.

Honestly these were so scary I couldn't walk to the edge to look over. My husband who isn't affected by heights had no problem and took some pictures that I will post, but they didn't truly capture the magnitude of the risk. I was so surprised they didn't have railings around them.

If level- headed, sober, adults who don't sleep walk and have no fear of heights want to tent camp here it's gorgeous......people with RVs and children beware!

28 Thank OhioJackie
Westville, Indiana
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Pretty and not far to walk to see the falls”
Reviewed April 18, 2010

It did take a while to get to the falls - drive time. Once you are there and park it is a short walk. The falls were nice and beautiful. There was a gift shop, information center, drink machines and restrooms. I didn't get to hike anywhere due to my 17 year old daughter went horseback riding at the stables by the canoe rental place and her horse rolled on her, hurting her leg and arm. I liked the Falls in Upper Michigan better but these were still beautiful. My 9 and 7 year old was upset with the trash on the banks but there are plaques explaining why it is there.

2 Thank acm32068
Brooklyn, New York
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Worth the forty minutes off I-75”
Reviewed March 14, 2010

I've visited Cumberland Falls for years with my parents in passing down I-75. The real gem is the Dupont Lodge above the falls and offering an excellent view of the Cumberland River right as it drops.

Well maintained, courteous staff and rangers. It's not Niagara Falls, but a pleasant stop for the traveler who enjoys attractions off the interstate.

3 Thank RobS3
Wilkesboro, North Carolina
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Cabin comfort and scenery”
Reviewed August 23, 2009

This park features hundreds of acres surrounding the falls on the Cumberland River, and a hundreds more set aside as a nature preserve. The park is located within the Daniel Boone National Forest, and is a short drive (30 minutes or so) from the Interstate 95 exit.

The state-operated resort offers a swimming pool (located across the road from the lodge, unfortunately) and a riding stable (at a reasonable fee of $15 for a 50 minute ride through the forest).

Three types of accomodations are provided: rooms in the lodge, rooms in duplex cabins, and cottages. We stayed in a cabin. The cabin room was spacious and featured a microwave, refrigerator, picnic table and charcoal grill, TV, phone and coffee maker. The room decor was somewhat dated and the bathroom fan made a horrendous noise. But the room was very clean and the bed exceptionally comfortable. Some bits of trash had accumulated behind the cabin, detracting from the natural forest environment. Overall, we were satisfied but the facility could be better maintained.

Only two rooms in the lodge have views of the Cumberland River. You can request these when making reservations. However, the staff told us that the cabins and cottages are better than the lodge rooms.

The lodge dining room does not serve gourmet fare, but the $9.95 dinner buffet and an even lower priced breakfast buffet meant that quantity atoned in part for average quality. The restaurant also has a fairly extensive menu, and the "hot brown" sandwich -- a Kentucky tradition -- was fairly good, although very salty. You can see a stretch of the river from tables in the dining room located next to the windows.

Staff in the lodge and the dining room were exceptionally friendly and helpful.

Very impressive were the number of daily activities scheduled in the park, including events for children and of course talks by a naturalist.

The falls are enjoyable and impressive, but not in the spectacular category of Niagra Falls. The falls are either a short drive or a .75 mile hike from the lodge. Portions of the hiking trail are steep and as one staff member told me, "It's a half-mile to the falls by the trail, but about ten miles coming back." It did not seem quite that arduous to us, but the trail is not for small children or anyone with physical limitations.

The falls are open until midnight, and are said to create a "moonbow" in the light of a full moon.

6 Thank Compositor