Smart Stay(Kumbalam)
TripAdvisor
All reviewspennethe cottagesswimming poollake facingfantastic poolback watersmulti cuisine restaurantbackwater viewnice propertyfront office staffrelaxing staydinner buffetseafoodbreakfast spreadspecial thankscourteous staffmexicana restaurant
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We were with our family in Ramada Resort near Kochi for a second time. So we knew what to expect. Place looks still lovely and was used even for wedding one night.

Restaurant has good food (we did not try Tex mex as it had poor reviews) and service there is often above expected level (friendly, fast and helpful).

We had a poolside villa. It is god place to stay with family. Enough room. Clean. Our villa was also fresh and everything worked in it as should. Or almost everything as the air conditioner makes too loud noise and blows only hard or very hard. "Low" regime is there, but it only has that name. When it comes to surroundings then the area is very well kept if you consider Indian conditions. All is clean. The main thing that fails big time is when you order food to pool side. The food comes, but they forget to clean up the dishes afterwards. As there are crows around (probably because the leftovers are available often and long) then soon all the stuff from the tray is all around the poolside area. Sometimes trays are collected next morning, so it means they stay on the pool area about 16 h (mostly they collect then within 2 or 3 h)! Also what is strange is that this hotel has most expensive souvenir shop - prices are higher then in Europe. Compared to Fort Kochi same item for example costs 260 USD instead of 4200 RS and elsewhere you could trade it down even from 3000 RS! That's unjustified. 4 years back it was more normal and we shopped there, this time it was just way overpriced. We looked in once and ignored the shop as most people who are not extremely angry on their money do. If I were the hotel I would kick that shopkeeper out! The shop is just no use. Also the hotel has Library Bar above reception. But there are very few and old books. No Amish, nothing on leadership, almost nothing on India or Kerala (there where 2 books with pictures). Also the Library room is dark in the evenings and all the books are locked in behind glass. Strange! For example in Leela they had lovely library and you could really lend interesting reading, but not here. And books are cheap in India with around 100 to 300 RS you can get a lot of very good books! So for one hotel room charge they could fill up the library and make it interesting place! Why they do not do it is beyond my understanding as books are perfect for holidays! Fortunately we visited bookshops before we arrived and had our reading with us.

In general we loved the place. But in details there are many small things that are strange and spoil the overall good feeling. Small minor details, like mentioned empty dishes in pool side (a single beer can also staid in poolside same place for 5 days). Also the reclining chair's lack covers and most of existing covers are a bit dirty or broken. Also some waitresses do not understand English and on other just tried to touch kids on face for no reason. But that strange habit is quite common in India. I think the manager should just explain his people that its just not polite in Europe or US. Also for example the bottle water, tender coconut water, French fries and some of the cheaper stuff in the restaurant is overpriced. While you can buy coconuts with 20 to 25 RS all over India, here they charge 200 RS + tax (10 times the price on the street!). Also 20 RS filtered bottle water costs 100 RS + tax. Way overpriced. But on other had you can get local filtered water for free. It tastes the same and is safe by our experience. What is strange is that you can not get natural mineral water (Himalayan, Qua or similar) at all! But its not a bad place - on positive side the food is fairly priced and mostly good and sometimes even very good (specially pasta's and Indian vegetarian food). As we stayed 6 days it was only once we got too spiced food (we always asked for no chilly) and then they did not charge it. So thumbs up for that!

All in all we have again good memories. It's a perfect place for poolside holiday. Will we come back? Maybe? Views and one of the biggest pool in India are good. I hope they can fix those small things as then it would be perfect place. Now it is just a very good place with very fair place outside the peak season. But on peaks season it's overpriced (we paid too much on 5 and 6 January, after that we had very fair price for room).

This time we skipped the SPA, but it is lovely inside and last time - 4 years ago the price was fair.

Room Tip: Pool side villas are the best. Good views!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
cochinramada, General Manager at Ramada Resort Cochin, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

Namaskaram !
I regret the late reply to your critical review.
I aplogise for the aircon controls not working properly. We have rectified the problem.
I have strongly taken up the issue of the food trays not being cleared on time from the pool side with the food and beverage manager. I assure you that it will never happen again.
The shop has been operating with us almost since the opening of the hotel and I assure you that the products he sell are authentic and certified. We have never had complaint from a guest that he has been ripped off. But if you could let me know which is the item that you feel has been overpriced I will definitely take it up with the shop operator.
We don’t keep very expensive books at the Lounge Library due to the problem of missing and non returned books problem. The barman keeps the book cupboard locked so he knows when a guest takes a book from the library. A good novel will cost upwards of Rs. 350 and a good table top book will cost upwards of Rs. 2000/-.
I agree that a tender coconut water is available on the road side vendor at Rs. 25 or Rs 30. But it is not practical for a hotel to sell at those costs. The cost is basically for the Ambience, Service and the atmosphere provided. In fact, our costs are way below our competitors in Cochin, since we have to entice the local crowd to drive down to our resort. But in any case, I will relook into the pricing of the bottled items.
During peak season it is priced high, but if you can book in advance you might get a very low rate. The rates are dynamic and changes as the occupancy goes up. And if you book on non -refundable rate you will get a further 10 % off.
We hope you will come back again and have a wonderful time ! Please do contact me next time you visit us and I will ensure everything is fine.

Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is defiantly good but its not worth money. I would rather suggest the zuri at kumarkom because its almost same price and way much more beautiful. I personally had bad experience. I did my booking with cleartrip. There was some problem with that so they took about 1 hr to assign me a room. I showed them my email with confirmation even then it took them 1 hr. After an hr they showed me an email that my booking was canceled somehow. After all i had to pay walk in price rather than my booking price which was 1100 extra. Price is different for all the guest. The more u bargain batter price you will get.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rajenpat
cochinramada, General Manager at Ramada Resort Cochin, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2014

Dear Mr. Rajenpat,

Namaskaram !!

Let me apologise for any inconvenience caused to you.

Your booking was cancelled by Cleartrip one day after the booking had come. It is possible that they may have not send the mail to you. But since we had recieved the cancellation we had released the room.

Rates offered online is dynamic and is linked to occupancy and date of arrival. So it constantly updates itself. You may not get the rate offered online directly from the hotel as you walk in. For example the rate offered online on a non refundable 15 day advance is the lowest offered in most hotels. This rate cuts off once the 15 day period to arrival is over.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

I stayed for five nights at Ramada Resort and experienced excellent hospitality. The Mexican restaurant was not up to expectations but the regular restaurant had great buffets and tasty food especially the "Karimeen Pollichattu" .The staff are gracious and rooms luxurious. If you get a chance to stay in the rooms facing the lake its a treat! The boat rides are an enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: Get one of the rooms facing the lake.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
cochinramada, General Manager at Ramada Resort Cochin, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Namaskaram !

Thank you for your wonderful review !

Unfortunately we had a supply issues with our supplier of the imported food materials for the Mexicana. There was a supply issue of mexican chillies, herbs , flavours and meat. This has been addressed by the supplier.

Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Been to this place with my wife... An awesome place, clean green n beautiful.... Great interiors, friendly staffs, cozy cottages, awesome
Food and amazing pool.... N d most, d lovely treat it gives to ur eyes as its water front..... Beautiful!!!!!!
Loved the stay here... Enjoyed!!!
Love to be back here soon...

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
cochinramada, General Manager at Ramada Resort Cochin, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear Reejal,

Namaskaram !

Thank you for a wonderful review ! I have passed on the the comments to the team.
I am delighted to know you are planning to visit us again.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I stayed in the hotel in August with two of my friends. It was a get-together. We loved the spa. Spa was great and was our favourite. The ayurvedic place was also quite good. The game room was a joke as there was just an old table tennis table. The pool was clean and good and we enjoyed it. The Mexican restaurant was a disaster and Fajitas were spicy Kerala beef fry, but breakfast spread was ok. Also I would warn you about group reservations here as we were burnt by that. We had booked two rooms for a group of max 6 people and only 3 turned up and they refused to even take out the extra beds which we were charged even when we did not use the extra beds in two rooms. I think we were sleazed by the front desk even after intimating them two days earlier that only 3 would come. We were ready to pay for two rooms, but paying for extra bed when we did not use it was not right. Apart from this incidence and the food, the stay was good.

Room Tip: Pool facing rooms are better than lake facing.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Preethi m

Namaskaram !

I apologise for any inconvenience you may have had in your interaction with the front office. Your booking was made online through Fastbooking.com and guaranteed by credit card for two rooms. During check in you wanted to cancel one room and we were unable to do so since it was a sold out date and it was too late for us to sell the room.

Be rest assured that if you are visiting us again, we will ensure that we will definitely do something for you from our side. Please write to the reservations directly addressed to me and I will ensure that something can be done for you.