“History meats picnic.”

57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“History meats picnic.”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Take the time to visit this park. I know it's a little out of the way for most, but we've been there several times now and always find something new. From nice pinic and play areas, to a great view over the Missippi, to some incredible history, nature abound and enjoyable trails. We'll continue to go back.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Jack C

Paducah, Kentucky
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Historically Significant”
Reviewed April 19, 2012

This is a wonderful, scenic overlook that includes an interesting story pertaining to the Civil War.

1 Thank Karen G
Kentucky
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Very Well Maintained Campground With Lovely Views!”
Reviewed July 31, 2011

My husband and I spent our 4th wedding anniversary here (yes, I know, not your typical anniversary thing to do) but it was really wonderful. We spent 4 nights in our pop-up camper in June. Watching the sunset on the Mississippi River while enjoying the campfire was actually romantic. The campground was very well maintained. The grass had been recently mowed and everything looked so immaculate. The bathrooms were clean and air conditioned. Showers were OK. The laundry facility came in handy.

This campground is mostly for RVs and pop-up campers. I didn't see a single tent during our stay, but it'd be okay if you wanted to tent-camp here. The sites are reasonably spread out and comfy. No utility hook-up sharing with the site next to you. You get your own.

The only complaint I have with the campground itself is the security lighting. Security lighting can be a good thing, but I noticed several camp sites that had a security light RIGHT ON the camp site, shining down directly on your camp. This can be a huge bummer if you enjoy a campfire while gazing up at the annoying bright orange glow - I mean, the lovely stars of the night sky. Not all sites have these, so give the campground a call if you aren't sure which ones have one. Our site did not, but there was one a few spots over that did, and it was even kind of bright on our camping spot, so I can't imagine how bright it'd be shining directly onto the camp site!

We left the kids behind on this trip - of course - but there was a pretty nice playground nearby for those of you who do have kids. It appeared several grandparents brought along their grandchildren to this park on the weekend. We arrived on a Wednesday and it was very quiet...almost too quiet, but by Friday, lots of campers showed up for the weekend, and even after around 10 o'clock at night, it was quiet. The campers here seemed to have an underlying respect for one another. You won't find loud partiers blasting their heavy metal and yelling through all hours of the night here.

Civil War buffs will love this place, and even if you aren't, I think you might become one as you camp amongst the same trees and views that Confederate soldiers did almost 150 years ago. The trenches they dug out are still there and you can walk right through them. There is also a museum seperate from the campground that is a nice air-conditioned history lesson with many unknown (to me) facts on the war. Watch out for the mosquitos! They were prominent on some of the walking trails (not too bad at the camp site) and I had on bug repellant. I've never been swarmed by mosquitos so bad in my life, and I grew up in Florida! But hey, it's camping, it's the outdoors and I survived.

We will go back!

Visited June 2011
2 Thank Kristin78Kentucky
Illinois
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“A small park with a lot to offer.”
Reviewed April 17, 2010

We stayed the first weekend of the season from April 1st through the 4th and had a geat time. The weather cooperated nicely for our first stay at a Kentucky state park and we were very pleased.

They recently added sewer for all of the campsites on the outer ring along the river so there was a lot of mud where they filled in the trenches, but once that's covered it will be nice and the full hook-ups are always great.

We stayed in site 28 with a Civil War trench dug about 30 feet to our left and a beautiful view of the river full of barge traffic. It was neat to watch the slow dance of the huge container collections navigating the river bend. The museum and mini golf were not open yet but the self guided trail tour was very interesting. We also got on our bikes and rode about 17 miles of the Mississippi River Trail which runs right past the entrance to the park. Be ready for some big hills.

The bathrooms were clean and there are laundry facilities available. This was a very nice park and I would definitly return.

3 Thank drspringer
Erlanger, KY
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“One of Kentucky's Best State Parks”
Reviewed February 16, 2010

The state of Kentucky has a great state park system. Columbus-Belmont, one of the smaller parks in the system, is also one of its best. I haven't visited every state park in Kentucky - but I've visited many, and this one is my favorite, to date.

The campground (along with the rest of the state park) is immaculately maintained, and is small and cozy. (Tent campers, you'll see a lot of big rigs here, but the camping is so scenic and peaceful, you won't mind). There are old Confederate entrenchments running right through part of the campground, and several of the camp sites directly overlook the Mississippi River (and across into Missouri). It is in a rural area, so there are no bridges over that part of the river, and no city/traffic noise. About the only noise you will hear are the barges making their way up and down the river.

Despite its small size, Columbus-Belmont has an impressive Civil War museum (inside a house that is thought to have served as a field hospital during the Battle of Belmont). The park has sweeping views of the Mississippi River from its high bluffs. Many of the old Confederate entrenchments are still intact, and there are trails through several of them. The remote location and rural area of the state park tend to keep the crowds low. I can't rave enough about this great little state park.

3 Thank Louder72