“Cheap stop after visiting Mammoth Cave”

Big Mike's Rock and Gift Shop
Ranked #6 of 14 things to do in Cave City
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Cheap stop after visiting Mammoth Cave”
Reviewed July 14, 2011

We stopped here after going to Mammoth Cave. The rocks were overpriced but my kids loved it! The mystery house could use some fixing up, but hey, it's cheap! Adults are $1 and kids are 50 cents. It was definetly worth that!

Chattanooga , Tennessee
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Big Mike's rock shop, and Mystery house”
Reviewed August 9, 2010

We were just passing through coming back from vacation, the place is great, we all loved it, I would highly recommend it to anyone, only cost $1.00 admission

Lutz, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A BLAST from the PAST!!!”
Reviewed August 8, 2010

This place is a kick! If you have kids or grandkids or if you are a big kid you HAVE to come here! I was there a week ago and read about this place on roadsideamerica dot com. It has a Mystery House and I remember going thru one when I was about 12 years old in St. Ignance, Michigan! But more about that later...

First, you must go into the rock shop on the lower level and first let the kids get a soda from the machine in the near left corner of the store as you go in. It is a dollar for a glass bottled soda but it is a machine that has the bottles horizontal in the strip to the left behind the tall glass door. Just like I remember from my youth! My son and niece loved it and got to keep the bottles.

Second, you have to give the kids a few bucks to buy any rocks they want. I gave mine a $3 limit and they must have spent 30 minutes deciding what they wanted. They had a ball. Don't forget to see and take pictures with "Big Mo" and check out the great slag glass collection they have. Looks great in the garden!

Lastly, you must venture up to the store at the top of the parking lot and go to the MYSTERY HOUSE. The $1 admission is well worth the fun you will have there. Don't ruin the fun and try to figure it out as it is only too easy to do. Just go with the flow and enjoy it! The kids had a ball and we took pictures like crazy. It was a hoot! The Mystery House is every bit as fun as I remembered from my childhood! I loved it and the kids loved it. Once again thanks to our wonderful tour guide Nikki, and I hope she manages to keep the mini-flashlight I gave her! We had a great time!

1 Thank yetisister
Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Your typical tourist trap”
Reviewed July 17, 2010

The gift shop has all of the usual things. It was easy for our Grandson to pick out $30 worth of STUFF. We did the Mystery House Tour. It was free with a coupon I had printed online. If you suffer from vertigo, I would not suggest you make the trip to the house. This place reminds me of all of the tourist traps of the '50's and '60's. I wouldn't go our of my way to visit. If you are passing by, stop in and see for yourself.

St. Louis
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Unique - you have to stop in/explore to truly appreciate.”
Reviewed July 17, 2010

Big Mike's is part of our annual pilgrimage thru the south. Been shopping for over 6 years - closer to twenty, but not consecutive. Great selection of slag glass that you can't find anywhere else. I buy some glass and minerals every trip to tuck into my gardens. People constantly ask us about our magnetic rocks. Fun to play with as well as functional and strong.

The same lady waits on us every time. Kids look forward to 12oz sodas in real GLASS BOTTLES. Great place to buy souveniers. We own an onyx chess/checkers set and goblets. TONS of other interesting items. It doesn't look like much from road, but it is unique. There are two buildings - be sure to visit both as they have different items.

Take a hat, sunblock or parasol if you plan to shop for rocks/glass in the outdoor lot. I spend much time trying to decide from the thousands available. One is more beautiful than the next. Some are marked and some need to be weighed for price.

1 Thank shy_kitten