“Noisy, but clean”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Cave City
Michigan
“Noisy, but clean”
Reviewed December 1, 2008

We wanted to visit Mammoth Cave so we stayed at this hotel. My husband got a room with a jacuzzi. The room was nice and clean and the bed was comfy. It was very noisy though. We could actually hear the person in the next room snoring during the night. They didn't have too much to choose from for breakfast, but there is a McD's and Cracker Barrel right next door!!

• Liked — I loved the jacuzzi.
  • Disliked — The noise
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Polish first
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 21, 2008

Our family of four (my husband and I, plus our 11- and 13-year-old girls) just returned from a stay at the Comfort Inn and Suites/Cave City. Our goal was to enjoy an active, fun, end of summer vacation in a geography we've not previously explored, w/i a days' drive (10-12 hrs) of Green Bay/Fox Valley.

Pre-trip research led us to the Comfort Inn-Suites Cave City, due to its proximity to Mammoth Cave NP and other area attractions/restaurants/shopping. We've had less than great experiences at other Choice properties and usually try to avoid them, but online reviews looked generally okay, and frankly there weren't many other options near the park.

On arrival, we were disappointed to note the other area "attractions, restaurants, shopping" consist of 5 or 6 big interstate gas station/truck stops with fast food joints attached, and a Cracker Barrel (in Ky, you are never far from a Cracker Barrel). Land surrounding the hotel consists of open, bare scrub fields, other budget-type hotels, and what looks to be a locally owned restaurant which we didn't go near, since its sign was falling off the roof.

Our reservations were all in order, lobby of the hotel was clean and well maintained. Desk staff were friendly and polite.

Our room was a "suite" ( room with 2 queens, a pullout and a refridge/microwave). Size was okay-- really just a big hotel room, not a true suite. Carpet had a big stain near the door. Window was filthy... closed the drapes to avoid looking at it and the big ol' Cracker Barrel sign across the road. Cob webs on ceiling and walls near window. Bathroom was very, very clean (thank goodness.) Small closet with plenty of hangars. Bedding was okay. Corridors were clean and well-lit. Elevator was fine. No outdoor amenities at all-- balconies, patios, etc. Too bad, cause we northerners enjoy that warm weather.

Breakfast buffet was decent... make your own waffles, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, toast/muffins/pastry, fresh fruit mix, 2 types of cereal, oj and apple juice plus coffee. Everything was re-plenished regularly. Seating was a little tight, but that's typical of free breakfast setups. What didn't work well were the hours... 6 am to 9 am... hello? When we are on vacation, we do not plan to roll our kids (our ourselves) out of bed to be at breakfast by 9 am. on a Sat. or Sun morning. Needs to be extended to at least 10 or 10:30.

Pool is tiny, and the room it is in is very, very small. Not a place anyone would care to spend much time....which is sort of how I would summarize virtually everything else about Cave City and surrounding area (Mammoth NP excepted...it is awesome).

There is nothing, and I mean nothing, going on here. No restaurants. No night life. No shopping. The few local attractions aren't just kitschy..they're old, falling down, unattractive and uninteresting. Best bet on a Sat. night: the WalMart up the road in Glasgow. Parking lot was packed, and it took us 20 minutes to check out. It was really, really fun.

What's more was the general lack of hospitality we experienced. Kentucky's new tourism branding campaign promotes, "Unbridled Spirit" ... what we found was "Uninterested Species".

Nothing overtly rude, but just a sense that our presence was being thinly tolerated, whether at the hotel, on our Green River kayaking trip or at the state fair in Louisville. Not interested in talking with us, not real excited about helping us and not going to shed any tears when we leave.

Recommendation: if you're looking to visit Mammoth Cave NP, by all means go for the day. Then spend a night at the Comfort Inn and Suites, get up, eat your early breakfast, pack your bags and move on. The locals will be glad, and so will you.

• Liked — relatively close to Mammoth Cave
  • Disliked — surroundings, cleanliness of room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank PAMiAM43
MILLINGTON
Reviewed July 15, 2008

Our previous visits to Cave City were sent at the older Comfort Inn. We decided to go for the newer property this time. Baaad mistake. We probably paid $30-$40 more for this place and it wasn't worth it. We got a room right next to the elevator. Honestly, you had to crack the door and peep out to make sure you weren't going to have a head on collision with someone exiting the elevator. We had our six year old grandson with us and he loves looking out the windows to see what's around. Well he sure didn't have to look far, or often. We were directly behind the roof of the entrance! ALL you could see were shingles! Also, something in the room burned our eyes like new carpet would. Since the building is almost two years old, we couldn't figure that one out.
I got a survey this morning to fill out. I sent it back as blank as possible. I'm sure we'll be going back to Cave City but I'm just as sure that we won't be staying at Comfort Suites.

Stayed July 2008
chicago
Reviewed July 9, 2008

I was charged 95.98 on my credit card, but I was told at the front desk that only 78.93 would be charged after the AAA discount and the problems I had with the room. They would not give me a receipt at the front desk.
Fridge was busted. When I reported it, Russ told me it was in defrost mode. After 3 hours it was still not working, when I asked to be switched rooms, he refused.
I asked for a discount the night the fridge was broken and I could not get a different room, and Russ told me to speak to someone in the morning when I checked out. The next morning I waited a half an hour at the front desk, with a line of 6 people behind me. The man at the front desk said my card was charged at midnight, and that the discount should have been taken off last night (when I had asked for it). He spent a good half an hour frustrated over the computer, unable to refund me, and instead accidently adding extra $10 charges to my room, he could not even close my account to check me out. He told me they would take care of it in the afternoon and that I could leave, but I could not get a receipt because it would not be accurate.
They have a postcard in the room that states that if you are not 100% satisfied they will give you a full refund of the room, well that's completely false advertisement. I will never stay in a Comfort Inn ever again.

• Disliked — Being overcharged on my credit card.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank paperfragment
Knoxville
Reviewed May 22, 2008

Arrived the week before memorial day weekend for work. Russ the front clerk was not very friendly! Had several problems with our check in. I was expecting him to be very friendly by previous reviews. He had an Opinion of superior intellect thinks he knows everything! I would NOT recommend staying here under this management! We were very disappointed!

• Liked — Room decor
  • Disliked — Russ at front desk
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank govgirl74
Mundelein, IL
Reviewed April 9, 2008

This is the noisiest hotel room I have ever stayed in! You could hear everyone walking/running/thumping on the floor above. There was a dead bug on the carpet when we arrived, and one crawled in bed with us while we watched a movie on our portable DVD player (room does not have DVD player). The comforters were stained (yuck), there was no bathmat the first night, and the second night they did not replenish the empty Kleenex box, nor leave adequate coffee supplies. The comment card from the person before us was still in the room (for both nights of our stay), with no new blank comment card, nor pen to write with. When we asked for a comment card at check out, the one of many unhappy/unfriendly staff they said they did not have any! Although it had an indoor pool - we didn't use it because it was overloaded with small children. Breakfast was awful. Tasteless cream cheese and yogurt, and watery syrup. There was only 1 kind of milk, and too few tables in the breakfast area. I am sure there are bugs in the rooms because everyone has to take their food back to their rooms to eat. We stayed at several hotels this same week that offered free breakfast and indoor pools, and this was the worst of them all. Good location - but will try another hotel next time we go to Cave City.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noisey, unclean, tasteless food.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Florissant
Reviewed March 3, 2008

If a hotel makes promises, I expect them to be kept. I keep my end of the bargain- I arrive when expected, behave politely, pay, and leave before check out time. This hotel made promises they could not keep.

When I made my reservation, I spoke with a person onsite who assured me of my reservation, and confirmed that breakfast would include fresh fruit, eggs, and packets of peanut butter. Since I have a medical condition, this was important. Good thing I packed my own food-breakfast was inadequate, with none of those items in appearance. I asked the food service ladies, and the desk clerk-no, these items were not available. Yes, the breakfast was free. But it was not as promised.

The promised reservation proved to be false, as well. I arrived at about 5:30 PM with my confirmation and was told my room type was sold out, but they would upgrade me for free. The front desk clerk was simultaneously on the phone telling someone they had my room type available. When the clerk hung up, I asked why I couldn't have that room? I was told I was being upgraded for free, instead.

I asked to see the room before I took it. The bed was rumpled and had a visible kleenex in the sheets. I received another room. Within an hour, the dirty room was occupied-and I did not see anyone go in to change the sheets prior to the new occupant.

The heating was hard to deal with-very uneven. Our sink was not cleaned during the stay-I was told we were "stay overs" so they didn't clean the same for us. The complimentary hair conditioner disappeared from our room during the day-we assume the maid took it to give to someone else.

To be fair, the room was big, relatively clean, and the fridge was spotless. The front desk staff and the breakfast room staff were very nice. No management or owner was ever around when I wanted to speak with them.

There is an indoor pool; we never got near it because it was full of kids.

• Liked — convenient location
  • Disliked — inconsistency
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Park Mammoth Resort
Park Mammoth Resort
#1 of 2 in Park City
Holiday Inn Express & Suites

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!