“Nice but a bit overpriced”
Review of Dinosaur World

Dinosaur World
Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Cave City
Wilmington, Ohio
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Nice but a bit overpriced”
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Went with the adult son and 7 year old g-son. Website built up the fossil dig (included in admission price) but the lady who gave us our tickets told us they only do the fossil dig four times/day. The tour was a self-guided walk through. I recommend bringing water as we saw no fountains and although shaded, it was hot and humid. I was glad that we applied insect repellant as I could hear bugs flying about my head. The new Mammoth section had only 2 or 3 big mammoths and some 'babies'. It was in full sun but there is a bench just before this part that is partially shaded if you need a rest. The path is pretty much shaded and cleared--all paved. Some of the animals had obvious places where the paint had come off, spider webs all over the place and one even had a birds next in its mouth. Some of the signage about the animals were very difficult to read either due to aging or the sun's reflection. The movie theatre was enclosed with bench seats for viewing (not airconditioned, but cooler than its exterior as it was a little open around the entrance/exit). The movie was good but we couldn't get our grandson to take interest as he wanted to get his pic taken inside the dinosaur head (like in the brochures). And he was excited to go to the fossil dig, and to play on the play ground. Of all the attractions we did in Cave City and Bowling Green, this definitely seemed way overpriced (even with our coupons).

Visited August 2011
2 Thank b-lieveume

Durham, North Carolina
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Good for preteen and below - not for teens”
Reviewed August 6, 2011

We went with our 4 children - ages 3, 8, 12, 14. The 3 and 8 year old loved it. The 8 year old is into dinosaurs and was just happy as could be. The 12 year old declared it cool - though I'm not sure she would have enjoyed it without the hyper younger siblings there. The 14 year old definately would not have enjoyed it on his own. He enjoyed watching the excitement of his younger siblings and talking with and encouraging to look at and read the information panels.

So - it's a good thing to do for an afternoon with younger children. I would not travel to the area for just this - but if you are there for the caves - it's a good outdoor activity.

If you just have teens - skip it.

Also, the price really caught me off guard. Steep.

Visited August 2011
1 Thank kjgkl
Wisconsin
132 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 188 helpful votes
“Kind of a back yard adventure”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I visited this place back in July. The staff was friendly and the shop had a lot of things to buy. The museum was fairly small. The outdoor lifesize fiberglass dinosaurs were interesting. This place is basically for children. Adults would get bored fairly soon. It took just about a good hour to see everything. Small children may enjoy the playground. I would go here if you had a couple of hours to kill in between going to another atttraction. This place is right off I65.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank WItraveler2000
Soddy Daisy, Tennessee
164 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 215 helpful votes
“Great place for a dinosaur lover!”
Reviewed August 1, 2011

I have two dinosaur loving 4 year olds so we planned a special trip to visit Dinosaur World. We got there at opening and it was already super hot already! I recommend making Dinosaur world a Fall or Winter or Spring event. But the good thing was that most of the Dinosaur Trail is heavily shaded. We really enjoyed the Dinosaur Walk. It is worth the price. We also enjoyed digging for real fossils to keep. The gift shop was huge and reasonably priced. They have a nice playground and picnic area. I like they allow you to bring in your own food. I would highly recommend it!

Visited June 2011
Wheaton, Illinois
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Nice to see, but pricey for what you get”
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We stopped here mainly for our 4 year old who was begging to go ever since he saw the brochure. It was a very pretty stroll along a path which had different "dinosaurs" (statues) around every bend. It took about 40 minutes to walk through-we didn't really stop other than to take some pictures so others may find it could take longer on the circular path.. There was a Fossil Dig, which is included in the admission but is only scheduled at certain times. The kids can "discover" hidden fossils and shark teeth hidden in a huge sand pit. We happened to be in-time for this, and I will say this added feature DID help us feel as if we got more for our money, but in reality, this place is kind of pricey! The gift shop was huge and was fun to peruse through. There was a small park with swings, etc and my 4 year old was quite entertained there for a while. There was an outdoor enclosed movie theater with a short dinosaur movie but it was so stifling hot, we didn't stay to watch it. All in all, nice to stop at but unless you've got a dinosaur fan, or you need a walk to stretch your legs, you might want to take a pass on this one..