“Worst hotel ever!”

Motel 6 Cave City, KY
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Cave City
Reviewed January 3, 2012

The hotel was filthy, the air conditioner didn't work, They wouldn't give another room, the room was filled with bugs, the bathroom was filthy. I could go on about the bad service, the smell in the room and other details but I won't. Two lessons - don't book through Priceline and don't stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Motel 6 Cave City, KY

Reviewed December 25, 2011

I stayed only one night. The room was clean and everything in the room was in very good condition. This is certainly one of the better Days Inns I have stayed in. I cannot comment on breakfast as I checked out at 5.55am and the breakfast room was still closed with lights out. I stayed here because I travel with my two little dogs. It was very quiet and pleasant.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 26, 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at the Days Inn-Cave City on 11/9/11. I was impressed on the professionalism and courtesy of the staff. My room was clean and comfortable. They also included an elaborate breakfast. The morning staff was equally professional and courteous. This stay made my trip very enjoyable and I look forward to using this facility in the future. Thank you.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2011

When walking into the room a big bug came running out..we then counted dead bugs in the room all over. I even too pictures to prove it. The counter person refused to believe there is a bug problem even though I had pics to prove it and he could just walk in the room and see..we checked out right away and stayed at a hotel across the street and they had NO bugs. I have yet to recieve a refund of my money for the filthy hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank jwood43
Reviewed August 28, 2011

We stayed 3 days while touring the area. It was so nice and peaceful. The staff was friendly, rooms clean, our room had a fridge and micro, pool taken care of. Rates were excellent, we needed two rooms and still paid less then we would have for one room at many other motels. The breakfast could have used more of a protein like boiled eggs, but no complaints, they had fresh danishes, muffins, bagels, toast, juice and coffee. It was close to restaurants, shopping, and sight seeing trips. If we ever visit again, we will definitely choose this Day's Inn. Cannot emphasize enough on how friendly everyone was.

Room Tip: Not sure there really is any tips on getting the best room as they all were nice, we had two and saw...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Nancy M
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Our family stayed here 2 nights for a weekend getaway. I was a little leary (booking through third party, and reading reviews about a bait and switch on the rooms). The third party had e-mailed my itinerary info but did not include the specific no. of beds + non-smoking reserved, so I asked them to send the corrected reservation confirmation, which they did. I felt I was prepared to then check into our motel. From the exterior and lobby, the motel looked clean and inviting. The clerk let us check in about 1 hour 45 min. early and was extremely professional/polite. (I did not even need to show her my itinerary and we were given 2 beds/nonsmoking). The bed comforter looked fresh and no signs of wear and the blanket was equally comparable. There were plenty of big pillows and the bed was comfortable. The linen seemed old and while I inspected for bedbugs (and found no signs of them or of roaches), there were pieces of frayed material from the bottom mattresses. The walls could have stood a washing--you could easily see strands of dirt--but there was also a couple of pictures that it appeared some child (or immature 'adult') drew on the wall in ink (a pity people cannot show respect for other's property). There were a few gnats and 1 green leaf hopper but that I saw (no other bugs dead or alive). We kept no food in the room so I did not know where the gnats came from. There was mold on the floor behind the toilet and from time to time, the toilet would run (as if flushed)--like maybe the pipes were leaking. I didn't think there was very much water pressure in the shower (had both tub and shower), but my son disagreed. The towels were not changed. I found a long strand of blond or very light hair stuck to my sheet when I was in bed (definitely not from our short, dark heads). It may have just become enmeshed during the laundering process as the sheets were worn. That being said, we had a comfortable sleep. The air conditioner had a hard time cooling the room (we were out most of the day but still had it on to try to get it cooled down). The outside temp was in mid to upper 80s and it was humid. The pool was clean (not heated) and a gentleman came to measure the chemical levels of the pool when we were in it. There were a few toys scattered about poolside and somebody's goggles. We had the pool to ourselves when we were in it and later that night a group had the pool playing volleyball. Those beach recliners that looked so relaxing were hard as a rock. I'd brought very thick plush towels that I had folded multiple times over to enable me just to sit/lean back on those (as a cushion) on the chair. Our bathtowels were never changed during our stay. I do not know if the sheets were changed or not (doubtful if they did not change the towels) but that was not important with a 2 night stay. The only working ice machine I found was on the second floor at the end (we were on the opposite end of the first floor). There was a small 4 cup coffee maker, blow dryer, ironing board and iron in the room along with a pack of regular and decaff coffee. The carpet seemed clean. I could see no soiled stains. The room did smell musty when we first entered by I brought Fabreeze and fabreezed everything, which seemed to take care of the issue. There were cobwebs on the lights between our beds (I did not look around the other light fixtures). Aside from the spotty patches of dirt on the walls, the cobwebs and mold around the floor behind the toilet, it seemed clean, (just needing a good scrubbing down and a little upkeep). For the money, I had not complaints, (nor high expectations). One issue I had in booking (thru a third party) and I am not certain who to point the finger at--I was told by the third party that should I cancel, my money could be refunded (website said 'easy cancellations') but when I called and spoke to them, they told me they would if it was alright with the motel's manager. They told me they tried to call him that night but he would not be in til noon the next day and to call back then. I called back at 12:20 the next afternoon (their time) and was told he wouldn't be in for another hour. So I called the motel myself and spoke to a gentleman who identified himself as the manager. He told me it was certainly alright with him to refund my money if I cancelled, but explained to me that the booking agency would retain 1 night stay plus tax--that it was the third party's policy--not his. Whenever I called the third party back, to inquire about refunds on the prompt, I was cut off twice and no one answered my repeated calls on that line. When I called on the 'inquire about my reservation' prompt, someone answered right away. They were nice to resend an itinerary to state the specific details that I had reserved and I had no other problems. There is a restaurant within walking distance behind our motel (El Mazaltan) and the food, atmosphere, cleanliness and service were excellent for the meal we were served (and for the price). We wanted to stay here as this seemed the most central to the attractions we were seeing. A local told my son, too, that the 'newly remodeled' sign had been there for several years. I would say the staff were nice and friendly. The rooms were adequate. I could hear people coming/going in the adjoining rooms. Other than juice, we found nothing appealling on the continental breakfast (instant oatmeal), apples, Raisin Bran and Corn Flakes (?), danish, and microwavable sausage biscuits (that you didn't know how long had been sitting out (serving time 6 - 10 a.m.), nor did you know how long the milk had been sitting out. There was also coffee, orange or apple juice. The microwave had food residue inside (a little yukie). But we aren't big breakfast eaters. My son took his laptop and had no internet problems. The cord had to be connected clear across the room. My grandson watched DVDs on my portable player and we had to move the bedstand to access the only other available outlet within reach. The television worked fine. (It rained early evening of our 2nd night. We had planned to return to some of the parks but it seems that if/when it rains, all the park attractions around us, shut down). I forgot to mention that after our room had been cleaned the second day, when I was sitting on our bed, I say a clear strip of plastic paper underneath the foot of my son's bed (that wasn't there before), that had a piece of gum on it (yuk). I would describe myself as middle aged, budget shopper with no gains by this review, so I hope this helps you in your decision. I did run into a family from Toledo at one of the attractions who told me that they come every year and stayed at this inn last year (and also found it to be 'okay'), but were staying at Jellystone campgrounds this year. She told me that the motels they'd stayed in all seemed fairly comperable in the areas I described.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed 3 nights. The room was clean and comfortable. It appeared the place had recently been renovated. The air conditioner was struggling to keep the room comfortable during the day, but the days were very very hot, and we were gone most of the day anyway. The continental breakfast was adequate. The pool was small but in decent shape. The rates were very reasonable. I would stay here again. For the money, I thought the place was fine. My wife's only complaint was that there was no TV remote, but that might just have been the case in the room we had. We were there to see and do things, not to watch TV in our room, so it didn't bother me.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Park Mammoth Resort
Park Mammoth Resort
#1 of 2 in Park City
Quality Inn & Suites Horse Cave

Been to Motel 6 Cave City, KY? Share your experiences!