“Good family escape--lake needs some help”

General Butler State Resort
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Carrollton
Reviewed May 31, 2012

My family which consists of myself, my husband and 2 year old son stayed for 3 nights at the General Butler State Park in a one bedroom cottage. The cottage was nice and very clean. Nothing over top, just your basic cottage but with AC and satellite. My only complaint with the cottage was that the windows are all painted shut. After the 95 plus degree day we had earlier this week, it would have been nice to have been able to open up the cottage when the hot weather broke. The lodge is a far distance from the cottages (you need to drive there). And that is where the pool and restaurant are located. We didn't use the pool, but it looked nice and was never really busy. We did however visit the restaurant twice. The food was good, the service was slow. With a 2 year old, we never know when his patience will wear thin so it does not help when it takes 10 minutes just to get a drink order in. We would have visited the restaurant more if the service had been faster and more attentive. On both occasions (we had breakfast one day and dinner the other), we had to flag down someone for drink refills and had to request ketchup twice during our dinner visit. We did use the mini golf. Good fun! As for the fishing, in my own opinion this lake has been woefully overfished. I witnessed on more than one occasion as a fellow angler pulled a less than average fish from the water and declared it a "whopper" or a"keeper". The lake has one size limit in place and that is on largemouth bass (at 15 inches). There are creel limits imposed on both bass and channel cat that are above and beyond the state limit. During 3 days of fishing, I pulled 3 decent channel cats one of which I kept, two small crappie, one 10 inch bass and a gaggle of small bluegill. I think people are pulling and keeping fish which are too small which is not allowing the fish community to build up in any way. I would love to see a DNR sample report for this lake. Also note, the lake level is significantly down. I am not sure if northern Kentucky is feeling the same drought conditions that the area of Illinois I am for is experiencing or if this lake level issue is rooted elsewhere. You are actually standing on whatnot used to be lake bottomto fish. In some areas 10 to 15 feet of lake bottom. This area is full of broken glass, old cans and just general ick from previous visitors. We had a hard time keeping our son safe while fishing so we actually swept the area for broken glass, picked it up and then brought him down to fish. Overall, I really liked this place and would definitely go back but more than likely will give the lake a year to see what happens. Side note, the girls at the front desk were fabulous and helped me navigate the surrounding area looking for non-outdoor things to do with a toddler when it rained one morning.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed April 23, 2012

We were searching for a place to rest on our trip home from Tennessee and luckily drove a short ways off the exit to check out General Butler State Park. What we discovered was a welcome escape from the chain motels we had been staying at. The lodge and surrounding property provided a relaxing getaway! Enjoyed a cool dip in the nice outdoor pool and a great meal in the lodge's dining room. Good food and a super view of the park! The room was spacious and we enjoyed sitting out on our private balcony with a woodland view. Plus, the price was better then the chain rates!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 1959Sue
Reviewed February 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Butler Lodge for two nights in Feb, 2012 to take advantage of a special winter rate. We have a lot of experience with the KY Resort Parks and this one was pretty much as expected with a few exceptions:

The room heating system was very noisy and cycled on frequently and interfered with sleep.

The scenic overlook with a view of Carrollton and the Ohio River was not accessible because the gate to the access road was closed and locked. Disappointing.

If you like to get away from the city, this is a good time to visit the KY lodges since they aren't very busy. the staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank deebee99
Reviewed September 3, 2011

The cabins are decent, not extravagant. Some have a nice lake view, some are duplex style with wooded lots. Some have covered back patios, all have fire pits, bring own wood. Ac works fairly well for 100 degree weather.

• Stayed: September 2011
3  Thank TiffanyDMcGaughey
Reviewed August 29, 2011

We bought a package at the park for two nights and three meals for one price. The room was ok, an average room, the hotel was ok. What really impressed me was the Lodge dining room. They gave the best customer service I have had in a very long time. It was very clear, they wanted you to enjoy yourself and we did. We were very satisified.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Firetriedby
Reviewed July 20, 2011

I took my neice for a one day stay in June 2011. The chairs were stained in room. As i tried to sleep all i heard was the people in room above constantly walking across room, and someone snoring. This should not be for the price you pay to stay here.

Otherwise, the pool is nice and miniature gold was fun as well as fishing in the small lake.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank bevhagan
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Lovely setting but rooms are very dated (even the "new" wing) and not in the best shape. There was a used diaper and a beer can on the porch when we checked in to our room. Nights were cool which would have been great for leaving porch door open for fresh air, but blankets were wimpy and consequently we were cold. Also, there have been reports of bed bugs and at least one member of our party may have experienced this, although we have not confirmed that for sure. You can still enjoy the park without staying at the lodge. That might be a better option.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank dogmom_10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carrollton
Hillside Inn
Red Roof Inn Carrollton
Red Roof Inn Carrollton
#2 of 7 in Carrollton
Holiday Inn Express Carrollton

Been to General Butler State Resort? Share your experiences!