“taco heaven”

Red River Rockhouse
Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Campton
Cuisines: American
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I thought I was home in California eating the freshest, pork tacos. The cilantro was squeaky fresh, the meat was full of flavor and the queso fresco perfect! The fish tacos were equally flavorful. Priced reasonably considering the quality of locally grown meat and veggies. All located in a spectacular area, a gem of a restaurant. Don't forget to check out the varieties of beer, except Sunday. A good belly filler after a days hiking or climbing.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Nothing to write home about. VERY overpriced. We got 2 burgers w/ fries and drinks. Pretty normal right?? Came to $24.00 and some change. We sat outside and that part was nice. The staff was very courteous and prompt. The food was just way too expensive.This area of Kentucky is not considered a yuppy type area. The menu was just a bit, unconventional.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Burger special was awesome. Owner passionate about food and customer service. Great beer selection. Don't leave the area without a visit.

1  Thank cincygpa
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We went as a large group after getting two recommendations from locals. It did not disappoint. Very fun, refreshing atmosphere which just made me happy when I entered. Loved the menu and could not decide what to order since there were several tasty options. I thought the food was very good and everyone in my party was pleased as well. We ended up going there on our last night in the area and I was sorry we hadn't discovered it earlier as I definitely would have gone back had I known about this place earlier in my trip.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

The good: the food was very good. They have done a nice job decorating the place. Nothing fancy but looks very nice. The fries, whether the regular or sweet potato, are outstanding. The Nutella brownie was also fantastic. My cheeseburger was pretty good but not as good as the fries or dessert. Another of my party remarked that the Kale salad they ordered was very good.

The middle: The staff was neither particularly polite and welcoming, nor overtly rude. I would say average service, neither here nor there.

The bad: You pay up front when you order...the person taking your order swipes your card on a little device attached to an iPad. You are prompted for a tip at that time, since you have to choose a tip option when you electronically "sign" the tablet to authorize your credit card. I find this to be a fairly rude and pretentious way of doing business. I'm a good tipper, and I tip VERY well for good service. I don't, however, appreciate being pressured into tipping prior to being served. How about you earn the tip rather than expecting it? A couple other folks in my party mentioned that they also found this off-putting and arrogant.

The air conditioning was barely functional, and it was borderline uncomfortable while dining even though the restaurant wasn't remotely full enough to be taxing the A/C. Not the end of the world, but hey, just mentioning it as an area for improvement.

To me, a large part of running a service business such as a restaurant is making your clients feel welcome, comfortable, and at ease. Although the food was very good and darn close to being excellent, the tipping protocol and mugginess inside the dining room were major dropped balls by the management of the place. We enjoyed the food, but the other shortcomings would keep me from rating the place a "5".

1  Thank rt100rider

Been to Red River Rockhouse? Share your experiences!