“Lodge Rooms Revovated!”

Lake Barkley Lodge
Kentucky
“Lodge Rooms Revovated!”
Reviewed July 29, 2007

We almost did not come because of the negative 2006 reviews. However, I found out from the reservationist that all the rooms were renovated in the winter of 2006! Bathroom was great including granite counter top, all new furniture, bedding and carpeting. Pool was great with a view of the lake. Buffet food was good. Our stay was most enjoyable!

Stayed July 2007
5 Thank lioneltrain

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Indiana
Reviewed June 12, 2007

We stayed at the Barkley State Resort right before the Memorial Day weekend to beat the rush. We got a great deal at 2 for 1. Our nights worked out to around 45.00 each, which was a great price.
The area itself is lovely (see the photos.) One night we had a racoon on our balcony which was a treat for the kids. We saw a beaver and deer too! The pool is indoor and quite large.
The resort itself was alright, but I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time in the room. (And why would you want to with a beautiful lake a few steps away?)

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank monkeytoz
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed May 9, 2007

My husband and I spent 3 nights tent-camping at what was our first and possibly last visit to Lake Barkley State Resort Park.

The campground: 2 bathhouses, around 70 sites, mostly wooded. Sites around the perimeter were spacious. If you're planning on lake views, only a few sites have these (what little you can see through the trees), and these sites are much smaller and not amenable for tent-camping. The host was friendly, bathrooms were well-lit and spotless.

The indoor pool/fitness center was impressive... open, clean, nice pool and hot tub! It is free for lodge and cabin guests, $5 for campers, and $8 for everyone else.

The lodge: the building itself was lovely; older but charming. The game room downstairs had a nice selection of older video games (Ms. Pac Man, Pole Position, et al), foosball, ping pong, checkers. A technician was there on Monday repairing the games which we noticed were broken on Saturday, so it was nice to see those problems being fixed. The gift shop was small and closed on two different occasions when we tried to visit during the posted open hours.

Be advised... there is construction going on around the grounds of the lodge throughout the summer. Some areas around the main building and one of the wings were torn up, so if that matters to you, then you might want to ask for details prior to making a reservation.

The dining room: We had one meal there (breakfast) and did not go back. Why? The buffet food was EXACTLY what I was served in my college cafeteria. I am not joking... I had to eat that food every single day for four years, therefore, I recognized it instantly. Every item was absolutely identical to what I was served back then! My husband still ate the buffet, and I ordered pancakes since those have to be made fresh, but even then, the pancakes weren't very good. Maybe some people would find the food to be delicious, I don't know. I just couldn't get over that they made a tidy profit on what I had to eat in the dorms!!

The marina: this place was hopping! Nice deck and restaurant... everything looked brand new. Boat rentals were available (pontoons, fishing boats, jet skis).

The area: we spent most of our time at the Land Between the Lakes. Liked exploring the different campgrounds, the elk and bison prairie, LOVED the Woodlands Nature Center area's trails and canoeing. We both fell asleep during the planetarium show, but we went there immediately after lunch so it wasn't entirely the presenter's fault that we got a bit sleepy.

The really bad part of our stay: let me preface this by saying that I'm not the type of person who usually allows one bad situation to color my whole opinion of a place, however this may be important info for some folks, particularly families. The resort does NOT enforce their own rules related to park security, and that is a huge deal to me.

On the second night of our stay, a small group of young men (probably in their 20's) pitched their tents on the site 2 down from ours. At about 7:30 pm, their country music began playing at full blast. Not simply loud, but truly blasting. It was extremely irritating to have to yell over it, having our peaceful evening in the woods ruined, but whatever. Quiet hours hadn't started yet and I could chill a little as long as they turned it down by 11.

Then more people arrived (a total of 5 cars worth), as well as umpteen cases of beer. I saw the beer and heard their bottles clinking and being thrown into a garbage can as they were being polished off. The group got louder and louder. It was at this point, around 9:30, when I called the front desk and told them about the loud drinking party at the campsite. Security did come and drive around the campground 4-5 times, but someone in that group was actually sober enough to turn the music down when they first saw the car approaching. Security did not stop to investigate anything.

By 10:15, this group was completely WASTED. I did not think it was even possible to hear as many "F-words" used in conversation as I heard that night! The cursing was nonstop, amazingly enough. Unfortunately for us, it was impossible to ignore them since these people had zero volume control. At 11:00, I called the front desk again, explained AGAIN what was happening with the party, and nicely but firmly stated that I expected them to address the problem immediately. I was very clear about the presence of the alcohol and urged them to walk down to the campsite and see for themselves. A few minutes later, the group walked away from the campsite and didn't return until the security officer and a local policeman found them 2 hours later. Two cars were sent home and the rest stayed. The most obnoxious drunk was still present and was extremely angry and vocal about having been [--] "falsely accused". I know this because I could still hear him ranting to his buddies while I was trying to fall asleep.

This group should have been arrested and kicked out of the park for the disturbance they caused and for breaking the law. This is not my opinion; these are the park policies. [--] Instead, they were permitted to continue their activities and the park would not have pursued this at all had I not been persistent about calling. I would not have said a word if these people quietly enjoyed a few beers with their hot dogs; it is the loud drunken partying that I did not want to be any part of. Their inebriated arguing escalated as the hour grew later. How bad was it going to get? If I had children present, I would have blown a gasket! The park's lack of decisive action was inexcusable.

If it is important to you for park staff to enforce their rules for the comfort of all guests, then think twice before visiting Lake Barkley.

• Liked — everything was clean
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank dpladyreed

Travelers are raving about these Cadiz hotels

Northville, MI
Reviewed August 22, 2006

I've been to several KY resort parks, and this one is average or possibly slightly above average. The pool had a beautiful view of the lake, and the rooms were clean, decent size, and comforable. The dining area was better than a lot of hotels, but it wasn't anything particularly special. My main complaint was that the tables by the vents were very cold (the air was blowing at you). One of the waitresses was very rude but everyone else was great. I didn't rate this resort as above average because I think Dale Hallow has the best KY resort by far, and everything else just doesn't seem as nice in comparison.

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Freezing dining area
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank Kayla_K
Normal, Illinois
Reviewed August 18, 2006

We visited Lake Barkley State Resort Park in June 2005 for 5 nights with my two sons (5 and 7) and my parents. We stayed in adjoining, upper-level rooms at the lodge. We ventured out each day and sampled the local attractions - Land Between the Lakes, Venture River in Eddyville, the beach, the Boots Randolph Golf Course (gorgeous!!!) - be sure to check out Blue Springs behind the club house with the kids. The vacation was not fast paced, but it seemed like there was plenty to do to keep us busy during our stay.

Pros: Great old-lodge feel at the main lodge, carried through into the rooms. We really liked the wood paneling and vaulted ceiling in our room. The view of the lake from our room was terrific. The rooms were clean and we enjoyed the extra storage shelves in the bathroom. Activities were planned throughout the day and the kids especially enjoyed fishing off of the dock with cane poles and watching an animal presentation. The food in the dining room was filling and tasty - my oldest son really enjoyed the buffet experience. The indoor pool and fitness center was very nice. You can rent bikes at the lodge and water craft at the Marina. The full-service marina also offers a snack stand with hamburger types of options and ice cream. The game room at the lodge was fun in the evenings.

Cons: The room bedding needs to be updated - there were some holes in the bedspreads. Spider webs were abundant on the railings on our balcony (kids refused to go out) and along the covered walkway from the room to the lodge. The beach needed to be maintained better - weeds in the sand and in the swimming area. The trails near the lodge needed to be cleared a bit more - there were points where we were pushing through the brush where the trail had narrowed too much. Given that this is an area known for ticks - we weren't surprised when my son ended up with one on him.

Overall: We had a good time. The parts of the lodge that were showing their age could stand some sprucing up, but we didn't go with expectations for a 4-star resort. We anticipated a state-run lodge and were pleasantly surprised with the caliber and quantity of activities provided, and the overall tranquility of the surroundings. The kids had a great time and are asking to return again soon.

• Liked — Fits the woods/lake Lodge expectations
  • Disliked — Double beds - would have preferred Queen size
  • Tips/Secrets — Use this as your home base while you explore Western Kentucky
  • Stayed June 2005, traveled with family
7 Thank Greg_Dianne_Mc
Kansas
Reviewed July 21, 2006

The lodge is design is very impressive. It is old (1965) but well maintained. The wallpaper was coming off in my room. Views from the balcony were the best in my life. Outdoor pool had an in pool light broken and they had the lamp pulled out of the water and sitting on the side of the pool with electric line still attached into the pool with a plastic bag duck taped around the light. Another in pool light was half full of water. My first day in the pool I assumed that the electricity was off. But come nightfall the lights were on. This is beyond dangerous. I'm surprised someone doesn't see it. The indoor pool and full gym (small walk away) is a very nice and modern. The indoor pool is occupied with "activities" often. The resort had kid games almost hourly like a cruise ship. My kid loved them. My room on the lower floor (below ground level) had a slight musty smell. I would try to stay on the top floor (ground level). Workers were very friendly. They have a great Military rate at 40% off. I would stay here again if in the area. FIX the outside pool!!

Stayed July 2006
2 Thank allamerican6
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 3, 2006

Very disappointed. The rooms are in bad need of a major renovation. Everything appears to be the same as when they built it forty years ago. The walls are old dark wood, the carpets are so stained we would not let the young kids on them. Spider webs everywhere, curtains barely hanging on the rod. The sheets were a dingy brownish color. The bathroom was okay if you like a camp ground kind of place. We arrived late at night so had no choice but to stay that night. Was planning two nights but checked out the next morning. Didn't try the buffet at dinner since it was either fried or something you purchase at Sam's or Costco, thaw, and heat.

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cadiz
Kentucky Dam Village State Park
Patti's Inn & Suites
Patti's Inn & Suites
#2 of 4 in Grand Rivers
Americas Best Value Inn- Land Between The Lakes

Been to Lake Barkley Lodge? Share your experiences!