“This place is outdated and filthy.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lake Barkley Lodge

and 1 more site!
Lake Barkley Lodge
“This place is outdated and filthy.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Cobwebs everywhere and all the buildings smell musky. It is rustic, but not in a charming way. It is a shame a lodge in such a beautiful place has not invested in any updating or cleaning! Complete with hair on the sheets... gross. It's cheap, but for a reason.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Jsistrunk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Rock Falls, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

My husband and I were there for his Vietnam reunion in May 2012 and we are going back again. People who don't like this park should stay in IL State Parks! This park and lodge and every aspect of this place was great! Don't come here if you expect it to be the Ritz! It's a state park! And a clean one with clean rooms and updated bathrooms. The park is very clean. The food isn't the best, but not too many buffets are in my opinion. At least they have onsite meals and their breakfasts are good. Wish we lived closer for weekend jaunts, we'd definitely go back more often.

Room Tip: The pool area was very clean and in a perfect place overlooking the beautiful lake.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Sparta, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

The lodge at Lake Barkley has a cabin feel with large vaulted ceilings and wooden accents throughout. Each room also has a balcony that looks out over Lake Barkley. I have found the staff friendly and helpful.

Near the lodge are a couple of trails that are not very strenuous. One of them, Cedar Grove, is a nice walk along the shoreline to the beach at Lake Barkley.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed here twice with the kids. The area is very nice...the wilderness and the lake, but the hotel is quite dated although it was clean and the grounds were clean. Just disappointing on how old & dated our room was. They have some park sponsored activities for the kids which is always nice (and wish they had more!) and there is a gameroom, indoor & outdoor pools, marina, beach, fitness center and other things nearby.

Room Tip: In the wing I was in there is ground level and then lower level rooms, neither of level can you park...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank zzzmichigan
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

very in need of a complete renovation should close food terrible buffet bad old food paint is pealing all over structure, at one time was nice 20 years ago
its only good as a fishermans over night stay

Room Tip: none go any were else
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Joan H

Travelers are raving about these Cadiz hotels

vancouver Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

I love Kentucky! Such an amazing state and the state park system is superb. Our stay at Lake Barkley Lodge was relaxing and quiet. We stayed in a King bed room on the east side with a peaceful and serene view of Lake Barkley. The bed was very comfortable and the decor was comfy, rustic lodge style. The bathroom was good size although, the hot water is plenty it does trickle out of the shower head, which I assume is to save on water. We liked the outdoors and enjoyed the wildlife even the skunk we ran across and then ran away from. The indoor pool was great and the pool a perfect temperature and very clean. We used the steam room but avoided the hot tub just because we always avoid public hot tubs. We liked the lodge food, the only problem and perhaps this is a Kentucky thing is the food was rarely hot. It always seemed to be served lukewarm. The staff through out the resort were country friendly, always ready to help. I am hoping to come back to this lovely resort someday. I didn't think the room was dated. I think it represented a rustic lodge era and was totally in line with the design of the lodge. The one thing is the heater air conditioner in our room was loud even when we turned it off.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hisfollower
Paducah, Kentucky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

I wish I could be the person that really makes your day and helps make your decision to come here for vacation, but consider EVERYTHING! I will start from the beginning of my weekend at Lake Barkley lodge... I wanted something fun to do with the family for Easter so I found this resort thinking it would be just that, usually places like this have something fun for the kids. Well upon my arrival I check in and pay for my 2 day visit, when doing this I asked the lady at the front desk if they were doing anything fun or special for the kids for Easter, she replies, "NO I’m sorry, we aren’t doing anything for Easter". So that was kind of disappointing, but it wasn’t going to ruin my weekend. Then I asked, well is there anywhere I can start a little fire and roast some marshmallows? Once again I got an apology and a "NO". I found the closest store (which isn’t close) and go buy some fun baskets and eggs to do my own egg hunt. Then we find our room, which is by the way amazing I loved the over view, and deck, and the beds were comfortable. Just keep in mind they include "nothing" I had to keep all my food on ice because of no fridge, and couldn’t heat anything up because there weren’t any microwaves. This was on a Saturday afternoon, and after we got unpacked the girls wanted to go swimming. We still hadn’t ate so I was trying to figure out what time the lodge diner closed and the pool, well unfortunately they were around, if not the exact, same time so we just got dressed for the pool to go swim, and then found a close steak house nearby to go eat.
We get to the pool and find out you have to pay "per person" to swim, the only reason I could get for that, is because it’s expensive to run the heaters. So we pay for all four of us to swim for maybe an hour, before it closes. Then I asked if that was good for our entire stay, and he tells me no you pay it per person per day, so I talked to him about Sunday and stressed to him that this is all the girls were wanting to do so if I came back after church I could pay the fee and they could swim the rest of time. He answered “yes ma’am, they can swim all day as long as they like, and we’ll close the same time”, by this time I’m thinking that’s great, at least they can swim since there’s nothing really going on for Easter. Oh and yes this place includes a spa/sauna, but the pool area itself is one, I could not believe how hot it was!! The floor was so hot under the end heat lamp that you couldn’t even walk under it. If you weren’t swimming in the chemically FILLED pull, you could barely stand to sit in there fully clothed. So we got to swim for a little while then had to get out to rinse off before they closed. While the girls were showering, I went up front to get them some fresh towels for them to dry off with, and they charged me more fees!! So bring your own towels. Then we went to the steak house to eat because the lodge was already closed by now.
Sunday morning we wake up and go to a church in Cadiz that we had found the night before, it was called Crossroads, which was amazing by the way, if you’re ever in town you have to go! Well after service I just felt like it was going to be a great day, we go back to the lodge decide to go eat, get ready and head up to the lodge where it is packed!! We go to see how long the wait is, and they say 20 mins so we wait.....about 45 mins later we get seated and ask for a menu, the lady looked frustrated, I guess because they had an "Easter special" buffet. The girls weren’t that hungry and for my husband and I to get buffet, was going to be $20 per person, that was just a little ridiculous. We ended up just getting it and the food wasn’t bad. I liked their fish, and he liked the desserts. The kids got a burger, and some fries. After we got done eating we saw some kids in the arcade and they asked our girls if they went to the egg hunt, I was confused!!! So come to find out, there obviously was a Easter egg hunt that we knew nothing of because the lady told me they DIDNT/WERENT doing anything, so I go get the eggs we bought and have a small one by the water. Then they’re ready to swim so we get dressed and head to the pool-IS CLOSED! By this time my “fun trip” is ruined, everyone is now bummed out and I’m not sure what to do! I can’t believe that man told me they would be open, we go back to the room and try to find something around to do-there’s nothing, and it was getting cold! We start to drive around the park and see a fire pit….. You don’t say……. Well we go in to town to look for some things to have a fire, finally find A STORE open and get what we can. Go back and have a fire. The next morning, I check out and tell them about my stay and they say, “oh I’m sorry”….. Then hand me my receipt of all my “fees” and room charge!
So to make this long story short, we will not be back to this park and I recommend you ask more than one person if you want to find a truthful answer. I was very disappointed, and I can honestly say this is the first review I have ever written, but I want people to be aware of what may turn in to the worst weekend EVER!

Room Tip: Our lodge room got really hot and uncomfortable, so we called the front desk, and they told us there...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank ginalynn74
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cadiz
Kentucky Dam Village State Park
Patti's Inn & Suites
Patti's Inn & Suites
#2 of 4 in Grand Rivers
Americas Best Value Inn- Land Between The Lakes

Been to Lake Barkley Lodge? Share your experiences!