“Good value”

Lake Barkley Lodge
cadiz, kentucky
“Good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

My husband and I are retired and recently moved here from Maryland and live not far from this facility. We went there on Thursday, September 8, 2011 for lunch. We enjoyed the salad bar, the potato bar, hot soup and dessert for a very good price. The salad bar could improve with different options but we enjoyed the fresh strawberries. The potatoes were large, freshly baked and the toppings included real bacon, not the fake stuff. The soups are hot and fresh. We also liked the new menus. We have travelled a lot within the U.S. and some in Europe and can say that Windows Restaurant at Barkley State Resort Park is a good value for families and we see improvements each time we go there.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank parks4us

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

We stayed two nights in a very nice room that had been updated. The only real dissapointment was the balcony. It was completely infested with misquito's and spiders that apparently ate the mosquitos. I asked house keeping to clean it up and they took a broom and knocked a few webs down. I later asked for some bug spray and fumigated it myself but after all that, we really weren't in the mood to sit out there. It's a shame really, the place had an obvious infestation problem and no one seemed interested in doing anything about it.

The restaurant was ok as a buffet with better food from the menu.

Room Tip: Ask for a top story room in all Kentucky State Park lodges. the sound proofing is not the best.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Bill E
Ft. Thomas, KY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

Had a wonderful time at Lake Barkley with myself, husband, son (22) and daughters ages 18 and 16. We were only sorry we could stay just the one night, as we were traveling on the way elsewhere. Suite was roomy and very clean, and two full baths was definitely a plus. We made use of the fridge and microwave in the morning. Proximity to the pool was great, and we enjoyed eating dinner in the restaurant. Loved the view of the lake!
Will definitely come back again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank SunnyTraveler57
Gurnee, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

Many of the state parks throughout Kentucky have resorts attached, and having visited several over the years, there aren't too many better than the Resort at Lake Barkley. Onsite, they have an indoor and outdoor pool, fitness center, hiking trails, tennis and basketball courts, multiple playgrounds, a beach, and a restaurant. Lots of places to fish or to just relax. The registration desk is staffed with friendly people, and the cleaning crew does a great job keeping the rooms tidy. All rooms also have a balcony, with a view of the lake. The outdoor pool is a little on the cool side, but in mid-summer, that is great news (I do think their measurements of the pool depths are off a little though!) The restaurant is decent and a great value, so there's no need to forage for other food. Beds are a little old, but still in good enough shape to get a decent night's rest. Pretty decent access to Cadiz for groceries/fast food and Land Between the Lakes for more outdoor adventure.

The restaurant at the state park was our quick and easy choice the first evening. After that experience, we went back for breakfast and dinner every day there. The menu has a number of choices ranging from sandwiches to entrees, but the draw to us was the buffet. All you can eat for $12 for adults, but FREE for kids under 6! From my perspective, there was enough good choices to keep coming back. One side of the buffet is your typical salad bar with a decent selection of trimmings as well as a handful of pasta and potato salads and two choices of soup. On the other side of the room, there were 3 main entree selection (such as roasted chicken, carved ham, pulled pork) and a number of sides (corn, potatoes, Brussels Sprouts, etc.) For dessert, there were a few choices including the all time great buffet finisher of soft serve ice cream. At breakfast, you had a number of choices (potatoes, grits, pancakes, fruit, cereal, etc.) $7 for adults for breakfast. Fine dining? No - but a great value to me.

Almost everything I had was tasty. The servers are quite friendly, and the dining room is neat - huge, room with lots of windows to overlook the lake.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank PinkFloydActuary
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

I stayed at the little river rooms on Friday July 29. Room 451 I have to say it has to been one of the worst places I've ever stayed. I arrived about 4:15 and finally got the key to our room almost at 5:00 got to the room and the door was open went in and it still hadn't been cleaned. Had to wait about another hr to get it cleaned or get bed made up seems to be all was done. The floor was very dirty. They were spider webs everywhere in the room I killed 5 or 6 spiders door missing knob on one side. Bath rooms had stains. I got a towel off the rack and started to use it and it was dirty had make up and dirt on it. I have pictures of everything I'm telling you so you can see if you like. If it wasn't so late I would have left then but I had a BWS fishing tournament the next morning. It didn't stop there when I got back from my Pre tournament meeting we went and ate. Got the there at 7:15 ordered food I got grilled chicken and a bowl of pinto beans my wife got a club sandwich. The place wasn't busy about 30 to 40 min later we got out food only for the chicken to be barley warm and beans cold like they had been setting on the counter all evening. When the waiter came and picked up my plate with a half piece of chicken and all the beans she said you must not have been hungary and got the plate and left. My wife club sandwich was ok. I would like to hear what you have to say about my stay if you thank it's acceptable. I'm would like to ask for a refund of my room. I will stay at the interstate at one of the hotels there from now on and drive the 20 mins.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank rgriffin08

Travelers are raving about these Cadiz hotels

Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2011

We stayed one night at the lodge on our way back to Georgia from and the lodge itself was very nice. Good accommodations great views. But the dining room was truly awful. The website says they use fresh Kentucky produce etc but this was just a buffet of canned vegetables and overcooked meats. Even the salad bar items looked bagged and old. Everything was overcooked, tasteless and bland. Even though it was a quiet night there (only four or five tables), the service was perfunctory at best. The manager came and sat with people seated next to us and complained loudly about problems she was having. We chose to skip breakfast the next morning and found a Starbucks.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank tedbro43
Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

Recently stayed at Lake Barkley State Park after reading the article from Kentucky Living Magazine where the readers had voted it #1. I was not disappointed in the least. The staff was very friendly, food was terrific and the accommodations were terrific. We had the best view from the balcony of our room of the lake. Based on the negative reviews I reviewed the posted public health reports on the lodging and restaurant their last lodging inspection done in January 2011 was a 96%, their last restaurant inspection dated May 2011 was rated 91%.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank jjj82
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cadiz
Kentucky Dam Village State Park
Patti's Inn & Suites
Patti's Inn & Suites
#2 of 4 in Grand Rivers
Americas Best Value Inn- Land Between The Lakes

Been to Lake Barkley Lodge? Share your experiences!