“Not what I paid for”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Burnside
Lake Cumberland Resort
Hueytown, Alabama
“Not what I paid for”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

My husband and I were looking for a scenic hide-away for our 3rd anniversary trip. My daughter and her family live in nearby Somerset. We decided to try to find something near Somerset so we could see them while we were there. I rented a one bedroom with plenty of room if we wanted to have them over for dinner one night. When we arrived at the "cabin" the hot tub was 54 degrees. It rose 2 degrees in one hour. When my husband complained they acted like it was no big deal and it would be warm in a couple of hours. He did the math and clearly it would be well into the next day before we could get in it. He complained again and they moved us. Clearly they downgraded our accommodations as we were placed in a two bedroom with a futon for a sofa and one recliner and a wooden rocking chair, no dish washer, no access to a washing machine or dryer, and only one very old television. By the time we got into this "cabin" we had missed our dinner date with my daughter and her family. Clearly there would be no visiting at the rental because there was nowhere for people to sit. Also the cabin I viewed online was updated and tastefully decorated. The second cabin was clearly in need of decor updating. But, the hot tub did work...for the first night. The second night there we went out to the tub around 10:00 PM and it was 85 degrees even though it had been on all day. The time spent with family at their home was wonderful. I will never go back to this so call resort again. We went to the water only once and it was extremely muddy. I wouldn't want to get in it. There is nothing scenic or recreational about this place.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Donna M

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed August 17, 2013

If I could use just one word to describe our stay at Lake Cumberland Resort it would be, OUCH! It hurt to stay there, the only pleasure we got was when we were at lake. The rates should be more like $19.95 per night instead of $500 per night. GO ELSE WHERE!!! Beds make so much noise that you cant sleep whole night and wake up with sever back pain. No blinds in bedrooms. Above all, resort's management is the worst I've seen. We had one problem after another.Most of the people who work there are rude and not attentive. When addressing issues to the manager, he was not honest and didn't care one bit about making changes to the resort. I've never been to Lake Cumberland before this and I don't ever plan to go to another one.I believe the truth should be told so more people don't waste their money.

4 Thank Satya P
Athens, Ohio
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Overprice and services are missing. Careless and nonhelping management. Blinds broken, airhockey not working, beds with old mattreses make too much sound, sofabeds worn out. Charged 500 per night but services are F class. Worst thing is they knew all this bad things but still wanted to put this property on rent. Even worse is the house we rented from lake cumberland resort was ON SALE. Many phone calls plus email but they dont wanna take responsibility of anything. Lake itself it awesome, wish the rental was livable.

2 Thank 750jolly
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed August 4, 2013

These properties are not worth risking your hard earned vacations. Very squeaky end-of-life beds, no blinds in bedrooms making it impossible to sleep. Sleeping on the beds caused severe back pain in the morning and almost ruined our vacation. They charged almost $500 per night and the quality of the place was not even at par with motel 6.

Sofas in the main hall were impossible to sit on. The seat cushions had no strength left and bent down so much while sitting on it that that your knees would touch your chest. we had to use hard wooden and uncomfortable chairs to sit instead of the sofas during our entire stay.
A lot of the amenities they claim in the ad was broken, unrepaired or unusable.

The worst part is that the management is very arrogant, rude, careless and unprofessional. These vacation units are individually owned and extremely poorly managed by the Lake Cumberland Resorts management office and actual owners either don't care to invest in these places or have no idea how these units are maintained.

2 Thank Rams_hr
Medina, Ohio, United States
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Cabin was clean for the most part. Grill outside was dirty. Couldn't get the hot tub over 90 degrees. I went to the office to complain and told them about the grill and the hot tub. I was told ok about the dirty grill and I was told that we weren't running the hot tub the right way. My husband then went to the office and demanded for someone to come fix the hot tub. It was fixed within a few hours....but it took my husband to demand service
Cleaning- make your own beds for 130.00 a night? Sheets are in Saran wrap sitting on the beds. No cleaning supplies provided.. No garbage bags..no dish soap..
Comforters on beds? Are they clean? Who knows? They don't supply a garbage bag to clean

them.
List to bring:
Garbage bags
Dish soap
Clean blankets
Clorox wipes
Extra towels for bathroom and kitchen
Only give you 1 washcloth for full week per person
Beds horrible no pillowcases for extra pillows

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lori P
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at Pixy Manor, a one bedroom cabin in the woods. It is THE most romantic cabin we have encountered... AND CLEAN. Two full bathrooms in a one bedroom cabin, and all the comforts of home... loved it. The views from the private hot tub were beautiful. We loved every single moment, and looking forward to our return visit.

Room Tip: We slept in front of the fireplace our first night on the pull-out sofa, and the next night in the u...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Stacie S
Covington, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed February 23, 2013

They defiantly overcharge for their "services." They say they bill you for a cleaning fee, which includes the grill. The grill is not cleaned and the cabin is not cleaned. I'm sure they wipe down surfaces with some sort of cleaning agent and a dirty rag, but there was drywall falling off the walls in the bathroom that was not cleaned. Also, you have to personally drive your garbage to a trash compactor five minutes from any cabin. For the amount a renter pays, they should do that for them. The renter also has to clean the cabin before they leave or you willed be billed an additional cleaning fee.
When I went to take a shower the morning after we arrived, I couldn't figure out how to make the water come out of the shower head and not the bath faucet. When I called Deborah, their receptionist, she said she would send Cliff out. When I asked how long it would be, she rudely responded with, "Well, I have no idea." She did call back and, again, rudely said it would be five minutes. When Cliff showed up, he stunk of cigarettes and seemed annoyed that I couldn't figure it out. The way to make the shower work was the oddest thing I'd ever seen. You have to pull the bottom of the bath faucet down. I can't even accurately explain it.
Their "Country Market" did not sell basic things, like butter, and the mattress was horribly uncomfortable.
I did like that there was a set quite time. However, since I stayed in Feb., not their peak season, I don't know how well enforced it is, or if people obey it.
All this being said, my boyfriend and I did enjoy our time their and, even though they are overpriced, we plan to go back. I'm glad I know how the showers work now.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lake Cumberland Resort? Share your experiences!