We stayed at Gillhams for 1 night as part of our Thailand Holiday. We are 2 young(ish couples) with avid fishermen.
We loved the 2 bedroom cottage and it worked perfectly for us. The only criticism I have about the accommodation is the bathrooms - the shower(I know this is relatively common in Thailand) was just on a hook on the wall with no partition which resulted in the whole bathroom and everything you had in it getting sopping every time we showered. This meant that all clothing had to be left in the room to change in, when travelling with friends, this was not ideal. I would have expected slightly better from this calibre of resort.
The fishing was obviously fantastic and the guides were great. Ours (Scott) specifically was fantastic. Adding humour and fun as well as knowledge to the experience. Pool was great for the girls to lie at during the day.
Stuff we didn't like:
- only 2 chairs on the balcony, even though there are 4 people in a room. Just seems strange.
- Atmosphere - we felt the bar area was lacking in atmosphere and camaraderie, I don't think the resort was specifically full so this could have been why. After receiving the monthly newsletters from the resort we thought the owners would be warm and around to chat to. But we never really saw them
These are not big issues, but thought I would highlight them. We would return if in the area again. The staff were great as was the food at the resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We have many world record sized fish at Gillhams Fishing Resorts, built in a stunning national park, surrounded by lime-scale karsts, 19 km from seaside town of Ao-Nang. We offer high quality two bedroom fully air conditioned bungalows within 12 meters of the 9 acre fishing lake, all with TV, DVD, hot showers, fridge and safe. For private usage, a large 7mtr x 15mtr infinity pool, lakeside restaurant with stunning views, full English and Thai menu. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Gillhams Fishing Hotel Ao Nang