“Great Fishing and very nice Accomodation”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Khao Thong
Gillhams Fishing Resorts
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Khao Thong
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed at Gillhams for 1 night as part of our Thailand Holiday. We are 2 young(ish couples) with avid fishermen.

We loved the 2 bedroom cottage and it worked perfectly for us. The only criticism I have about the accommodation is the bathrooms - the shower(I know this is relatively common in Thailand) was just on a hook on the wall with no partition which resulted in the whole bathroom and everything you had in it getting sopping every time we showered. This meant that all clothing had to be left in the room to change in, when travelling with friends, this was not ideal. I would have expected slightly better from this calibre of resort.

The fishing was obviously fantastic and the guides were great. Ours (Scott) specifically was fantastic. Adding humour and fun as well as knowledge to the experience. Pool was great for the girls to lie at during the day.

Stuff we didn't like:
- only 2 chairs on the balcony, even though there are 4 people in a room. Just seems strange.
- Atmosphere - we felt the bar area was lacking in atmosphere and camaraderie, I don't think the resort was specifically full so this could have been why. After receiving the monthly newsletters from the resort we thought the owners would be warm and around to chat to. But we never really saw them

These are not big issues, but thought I would highlight them. We would return if in the area again. The staff were great as was the food at the resort.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank LisaMEngelbrecht

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Just returned from a wonderful holiday in Thailand, the highlight was Gillhams. A special treat for my fishing mad husband Aaron. We arrived in rain early in the morning and Sean had a warm welcome for us. Our bungalow had the most outstanding views and fishing within 30 yards . Rods were set up quicker than I unpacked , and within minutes the first fish was caught , whistles blown and excitement started. On the first day he caught 10 fish, 4 species including an 300lb arapaima . Aaron refused to leave his rods for 9 hours , we brought him drinks and food, he was just having too much fun. I relaxed beside him , cooling in the pool and meeting another couple who were on there second visit. Sue said you'll be back and shes right . Beautiful place, well run with fish management and breeding a priority, all fish were checked and unhooked with care and respect. The guides we had were brilliant Joel and Steve just loved the look on Aaron' s face every time he caught one.
The resturant in the evening produced the best food we had in Thailand, maybe I should have learnt how to cook spring rolls , will do it next time.
If you are thinking of booking dont hesitate it will be the best thing you do , Congrats to Stuart and his team , see you next year .

Room Tip: all bungalows have the perfect view
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Aaron_Wendy_p
Reviewed April 17, 2012

This place is amazing!! This is a paradise for every angler!!
Me and my boyfriend stayed the for 3 nights last week and we can't complain. He caught 13 fishes in 3 days including 80-85 kg Arapaima. People who works there are so friendly and they are always there for you. I'm not fishing but you can use infinity pool and free wifi plus you can enjoy watching your man fishing many different huge fishes. We definitely coming back there next year. Thank you very much Gillhams fishing resort!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank michasia87
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Lovely resort which I am currently stopping and i can't fault the service of the guides or the good food in the restaurant ( first time I ever have seen Arapaima on menu and it is delicious) or the extremely helpful and efficient staff. The fishing has been excellent and I managed several species, my best fish being a 220 lb Arapaima together with Siamese Carp, Arawana, and the beautiful Amazon red Tail Catfish.The beautifully landscaped gardens and the delightful infinity swimming pool are well maintained also.

Room Tip: All rooms are good so it is not an issue
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank KURIPOT45
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Our young family stayed at this resort for 2 nights as part of our Island hopping adventure throughout Thailand. This was an absolute treat for my boys who spend hours fishing at home and was an absolute must, on our holiday.The resort is stunning, located approximately 20minutes from Ao Nang Beach, at the foothills of the most stunning limestone formations, the scenary is amazing. We stayed in a two bedroom bungalow overlooking the lake, the staff were amazing and so accomodating. Within the first 10 minutes of fishing my eldest son Louis landed a nice sized siamese carp and was very excited, the boys continued to fish until dark whilst the girls and I swam in the magnificent pool. Over the next two days there was much excitement as the children and my husband pulled in several monster mekong catfish around 100 pounds, the fishing guides were wonderful with the children and were with you for the duration of the day. Noi and Becky prepared amazing food and for my serious fisherman (that couldnt leave the lake, in case they missed the elusive Arapaima) they made up breakfast, lunch and dinner packs and delivered the orders, the boys were in there element. It was extremely hot and my 7 year old and 12 year old sat by the lake from 7am -8pm just waiting for that dream catch and boy was it worth it!! 20 minutes before we were due to pack up our rods and head to the airport, my husband hooked a massive mekong catfaish and left me to pull her in! Boy, was it hard work, but so much fun! If you are looking for a relaxing stay, away from the hustle and bustle of Ao Nang, I would definately reccommed Gillhams fishing resort for it's serenity and amazing scenary.We tailored our holiday specifically around Gillhams resort and it was well worth it. A huge thanks to the amazingly friendly team at Gillhams fishing resort, Sean, Becky, Noi, Leigh,Steve and Joe (hope your leg is better and be careful on that pushbike!! An extra special thank-you to Noi who took my daughter and I into the Muslim hospital in Krabi for her 3rd Rabies Vaccination (those damn monkeys in Koh Lanta!!).This is an absolute must for all.......

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank GouFam
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I fished for only 2 days but I caught 16 fish over 25lb and a 'tiddler' of only about 5lb! 3 of those fish were over 50lb. I also spent nearly 2 hours playing and losing 2 Giant Mekong Catfish estimated at between 150lb and 200lb which left me seriously exhausted. The lake is in beautiful surroundings, the small bar and restaurant is friendly with good food, and nothing is too much trouble for the staff and fishing guides . However there would have to be an option of a little more luxurious accommodation for Ruth to agree to accompany me when I return.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank geoffruth
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We went to Gillhams for a day fishing and had such a good time. If we knew how nice it was we would have stayed longer. Even for the ones that don't do fishing (like me) it's a gorgeous place to stay - the pool is amazing with the best views ever. We had lunch there, that was really nice too. But the best of all - my partner cought 2 huge fishes (a catfish and something else - a really pretty one), missed a few even bigger ones and all that was great fun to watch. All the guides were really nice and professional, looking after our safety (don't want to be slapped by arapaima). A word of advice though - take a hat and buckets of sun screen lotion, because there isn't much shade around the fishing lake.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Anyavee Tubkaek Beach Resort
Anyavee Tubkaek Beach Resort
#10 of 12 in Nong Thale
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort

Been to Gillhams Fishing Resorts? Share your experiences!