“World's fishing hot spot reviewed by Aaron and Wendy”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Khao Thong
Gillhams Fishing Resorts
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Khao Thong
Norwich, United Kingdom
“World's fishing hot spot reviewed by Aaron and Wendy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

Just returned from a wonderful holiday in Thailand, the highlight was Gillhams. A special treat for my fishing mad husband Aaron. We arrived in rain early in the morning and Sean had a warm welcome for us. Our bungalow had the most outstanding views and fishing within 30 yards . Rods were set up quicker than I unpacked , and within minutes the first fish was caught , whistles blown and excitement started. On the first day he caught 10 fish, 4 species including an 300lb arapaima . Aaron refused to leave his rods for 9 hours , we brought him drinks and food, he was just having too much fun. I relaxed beside him , cooling in the pool and meeting another couple who were on there second visit. Sue said you'll be back and shes right . Beautiful place, well run with fish management and breeding a priority, all fish were checked and unhooked with care and respect. The guides we had were brilliant Joel and Steve just loved the look on Aaron' s face every time he caught one.
The resturant in the evening produced the best food we had in Thailand, maybe I should have learnt how to cook spring rolls , will do it next time.
If you are thinking of booking dont hesitate it will be the best thing you do , Congrats to Stuart and his team , see you next year .

Room Tip: all bungalows have the perfect view
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Aaron_Wendy_p

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

This place is amazing!! This is a paradise for every angler!!
Me and my boyfriend stayed the for 3 nights last week and we can't complain. He caught 13 fishes in 3 days including 80-85 kg Arapaima. People who works there are so friendly and they are always there for you. I'm not fishing but you can use infinity pool and free wifi plus you can enjoy watching your man fishing many different huge fishes. We definitely coming back there next year. Thank you very much Gillhams fishing resort!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank michasia87
Lake District,UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2012

Lovely resort which I am currently stopping and i can't fault the service of the guides or the good food in the restaurant ( first time I ever have seen Arapaima on menu and it is delicious) or the extremely helpful and efficient staff. The fishing has been excellent and I managed several species, my best fish being a 220 lb Arapaima together with Siamese Carp, Arawana, and the beautiful Amazon red Tail Catfish.The beautifully landscaped gardens and the delightful infinity swimming pool are well maintained also.

Room Tip: All rooms are good so it is not an issue
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank KURIPOT45
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

Our young family stayed at this resort for 2 nights as part of our Island hopping adventure throughout Thailand. This was an absolute treat for my boys who spend hours fishing at home and was an absolute must, on our holiday.The resort is stunning, located approximately 20minutes from Ao Nang Beach, at the foothills of the most stunning limestone formations, the scenary is amazing. We stayed in a two bedroom bungalow overlooking the lake, the staff were amazing and so accomodating. Within the first 10 minutes of fishing my eldest son Louis landed a nice sized siamese carp and was very excited, the boys continued to fish until dark whilst the girls and I swam in the magnificent pool. Over the next two days there was much excitement as the children and my husband pulled in several monster mekong catfish around 100 pounds, the fishing guides were wonderful with the children and were with you for the duration of the day. Noi and Becky prepared amazing food and for my serious fisherman (that couldnt leave the lake, in case they missed the elusive Arapaima) they made up breakfast, lunch and dinner packs and delivered the orders, the boys were in there element. It was extremely hot and my 7 year old and 12 year old sat by the lake from 7am -8pm just waiting for that dream catch and boy was it worth it!! 20 minutes before we were due to pack up our rods and head to the airport, my husband hooked a massive mekong catfaish and left me to pull her in! Boy, was it hard work, but so much fun! If you are looking for a relaxing stay, away from the hustle and bustle of Ao Nang, I would definately reccommed Gillhams fishing resort for it's serenity and amazing scenary.We tailored our holiday specifically around Gillhams resort and it was well worth it. A huge thanks to the amazingly friendly team at Gillhams fishing resort, Sean, Becky, Noi, Leigh,Steve and Joe (hope your leg is better and be careful on that pushbike!! An extra special thank-you to Noi who took my daughter and I into the Muslim hospital in Krabi for her 3rd Rabies Vaccination (those damn monkeys in Koh Lanta!!).This is an absolute must for all.......

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank GouFam
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2012

I fished for only 2 days but I caught 16 fish over 25lb and a 'tiddler' of only about 5lb! 3 of those fish were over 50lb. I also spent nearly 2 hours playing and losing 2 Giant Mekong Catfish estimated at between 150lb and 200lb which left me seriously exhausted. The lake is in beautiful surroundings, the small bar and restaurant is friendly with good food, and nothing is too much trouble for the staff and fishing guides . However there would have to be an option of a little more luxurious accommodation for Ruth to agree to accompany me when I return.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank geoffruth
Portsmouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

We went to Gillhams for a day fishing and had such a good time. If we knew how nice it was we would have stayed longer. Even for the ones that don't do fishing (like me) it's a gorgeous place to stay - the pool is amazing with the best views ever. We had lunch there, that was really nice too. But the best of all - my partner cought 2 huge fishes (a catfish and something else - a really pretty one), missed a few even bigger ones and all that was great fun to watch. All the guides were really nice and professional, looking after our safety (don't want to be slapped by arapaima). A word of advice though - take a hat and buckets of sun screen lotion, because there isn't much shade around the fishing lake.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Desimil
Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

After reading all the reviews on trip advisor I knew I had to book this for my husband. We were picked up from our hotel in Ao Nang & driven a short 20 mins to Gillhams. As soon as we arrived we were blown away by the beautiful surroundings. Sean took my husband to his swim & Becky took me to our bungalow which would be home for 2 nights. The bungalow was exceptionally clean & had everything you needed including a large balcony overlooking the lake. In the first 20 minutes of fishing my husband caught a 45lb Red tail catfish which broke his record at home of a 28lb carp! From then on he caught 2 Arapaima's, a Wallago Attu, an Aligator Gar & a Rohu & a Mrigal carp. Not bad for 2 days fishing! He also hooked a Stingray but this was the one that got away!

You are supplied a cool box to keep all your water, beers etc in. We even had our breakfast delivered to the swim! The staff were amazing & all so helpful. Each time you catch a fish you blow your whistle & one of the guides come running to help!

So to sum up, if you are a non-fisher this still is an amazing place to stay & I didn't get bored! There are sunbeds around the infinity pool to laze around in when it gets too hot, and Ao Nang is a short drive away if you fancy a night out or a change of scenery, although it really is hard to tear yourself away!

Overall this is an amazing place to stay & we'd like to say a big thank you to everyone at Gillhams for making our stay so memorable! We have already booked up again for the end of the year.

If you're thinking of going, book it, you won't regret it!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Anyavee Tubkaek Beach Resort
Anyavee Tubkaek Beach Resort
#10 of 12 in Nong Thale
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort

Been to Gillhams Fishing Resorts? Share your experiences!